We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days road trip around the south cost of ireland

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
213 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
3 days road trip around the south cost of ireland

Hi all, I just booked a return flight to cork in the second week of july!! Booked a rental car and was planning to drive around the beautiful southern part of ireland. I would need you help about the most scenic place i should not miss at all cost. I been told Dingle & killarney and those two i am definately squeezing in the first day. Can anyone please suggest other places and suggest me a scenic road route along. thanks :)

cork
Level Contributor
145 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days road trip around the south cost of ireland

Hi Neel,

You'd really be pushing it to squeeze in both Killarney and Dingle on day 1 even if you got into Cork early. You'd be under so much pressure you'd miss the beauty to be seen.

You have three options when leaving the airport, turn right and drive the scenic West Cork coastal route. It's not the most scenic drive in the south but it takes in Kinsale, Timoleague, Clonakilty and Skibbereen , all nice towns that will give you a good feel for Ireland. You can turn left from the airport and head the main route for Clonakilty and Skibbereen, it'll save you time if that's an issue. Once in West Cork the two most scenic routes are the sheeps head peninsula and the Beara peninsula. Otherwise you can skip West Cork, turn left from the airport and head straight to Killarney. The attraction of Killarney is not the town itself but the park around it and the scenic Ring of Kerry drive. This is a full day trip and to do Dingle at your ease is also a day.

Different people have different views. My opinion would be to slow down, relax, don't try and do too much. Take the coastal route to West Cork. Stop in Kinsale and start to unwind there. Then head for West Cork staying in the Skibbereen / Bantry areas. Next day drive the Ring of Beara, onwards to Killarney via Kenmare. Skip the whole ring of Kerry thing, you'll see some of it between Kenmare and Killarney anyway. Next day head to Dingle. Plenty of into on TA on the towns and drives I've mentioned above , you'll get plenty more opinions. Good luck with the trip.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
11,975 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days road trip around the south cost of ireland

if you wish to see killarney and dingle, do so, but don't put anything else in your plans...3 days is not enough time to see it all but you could fit in a good bit of it in that time....

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
213 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days road trip around the south cost of ireland

thanks a lot for your replies and i will defi look into changing my plans slightly so i can see the most of the places i visit!! thanks for replying

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
853 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days road trip around the south cost of ireland

Neel I would agree with Puntospilot. West Cork is and excellent spot. As a one time resident of London the difference in the pace of life is marked. Killarney and Dingle have a reputation for scenery, that scenery is matched in West Cork, why race to one spot when you'll miss the attractions around you.

5. Re: 3 days road trip around the south cost of ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2014, 06:18