We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Voltage adaptors confusion

Tennessee
Level Contributor
286 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Voltage adaptors confusion

I have read a lot on here about voltage adaptors but I am still unclear about whether it is safe to plug my small curling iron into one. Will it melt? Some on here say any American appliances like curling irons or hair dryers will melt even if used with an adaptor. If this is true, then why bring voltage adaptors at all? Others say they had no problems, so I am conflicted about what to do. This is the adaptor I have:

amazon.com/gp/…

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Voltage adaptors confusion

If your appliances are marked 100-240V they should work perfectly with the plug adaptor. The confusion some people have is about voltage converters. these are dangerous and don't work well. If you have a multiple voltage appliance of any sort they should work fine with the adaptor that you have. A plug adaptor doesn't convert the voltage from 110V to 240V. It only adapts the plug from our small type to the Irish 3 pong style plug.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Voltage adaptors confusion

Read the item in the list on the right of the page - there is one section called 'can I use my electrical appliances in Ireland' which will answer all your questions.

As paulkris says, an adaptor does nothing more than change the shape of the plug so it will go into the sockets here. It does not do anything to change the electrical power. Many electrical items such as laptops, phones, etc already have transformers attached, or they are set up for use with 100 to 240 v power, so all you need do is change the shape of the plug with an adaptor.

Items like hair curlers very often cannot cope with the higher voltage here and will indeed burn out.

You are confusing yourself a bit by referring to voltage adaptors - the equipment is called

an adaptor (or plug adaptor)

OR a voltage converter

OR a transformer.

Edited: 16 June 2013, 20:50
Tennessee
Level Contributor
286 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Voltage adaptors confusion

Ah, I understand now. I need to buy a converter in addition to my adaptor. Thanks for the advice.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
11,617 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Voltage adaptors confusion

Make sure the converter can handle the current - check the Wattage of the curlers against the specification of the converter. If it's only the one appliance that you will be using then it might be cheaper/safer/easier just to buy a hair curler in Ireland. Remember that most phone chargers etc. only need the plug adaptor

Tennessee
Level Contributor
286 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Voltage adaptors confusion

I checked and the iron says 110-240V 50/60Hz 40W. So it sounds like it will only require an adaptor but I will check the adaptor to see if it is compatible with the iron. My hair dryer is 125VAC 60Hz so I may just leave it at home as opposed to buying a converter just for that one appliance. I read that most if not all places provide hair dryers anyway.

Edited: 16 June 2013, 23:16
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Voltage adaptors confusion

Most hotels I have stayed in do indeed supply a hair dryer as part of the bedroom equipment..... not that I have ever need one :-)

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
11,617 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Voltage adaptors confusion

Yes, with that specification the iron will only require a plug adaptor. Good idea to rely on hotel hair dryers or buy one in Ireland - especially since the voltage converter will not convert frequency which may be an issue with motors.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,491 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Voltage adaptors confusion

Go to your nearest Radio Shack store

they will explain all.

Aurora, IL, USA
Level Contributor
202 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Voltage adaptors confusion

My wife bought a set of curlers in Westport Ireland that of course works in Ireland with no adaptor and converter. This was $25 well spent as she's now taken them 3 times to Ireland and twice to the U.K.

10. Re: Voltage adaptors confusion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2014, 06:17