We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A "credit card" heads up.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
498 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
A "credit card" heads up.

We experienced two occasions on our recent trip to Ireland where a credit card transaction was run in USD without us being asked whether we wanted the transaction in Euros or USD beforehand. We brought a Capitol One Venture card specifically to avoid the foreign transaction fees, and were more than a bit annoyed, as each time we were told that the transaction could not be voided (which I believe was not true, since I had not signed the slip on any of these purchases). A 3% transaction fee was therefore applied by the "Irish end' of the transaction, and there was nothing we could do. This happened in the bar of the Ashling Hotel in Dublin and at the checkout desk of the Oakwook Arms Hotel in Shannon. Simply put, specify at the very beginning of EVERY credit card transaction that you want the charge to be applied in Euros, at least if you have a no-foreign-transaction fee card.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
31 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A "credit card" heads up.

Thank you for the heads up my friend.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,339 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A "credit card" heads up.

I would insist that it be voided. You can only be liable for the amount of the bill, not some other amount in a different currency,. Keep enough cash Euro in hand to pay in this case if a dispute arises.

Capital one may be a good deal, but they should not process transactions that you have denied.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
498 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A "credit card" heads up.

Thanks. We are back in the States now (as of today) and I'm going to just learn a lesson from the experience.

Canada
Level Contributor
3,924 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A "credit card" heads up.

Too bad that you had not read TA before you went. This issue has been discussed many times.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,188 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A "credit card" heads up.

This practice formally known as Dynamic Currency Conversion was featured recently in a Washington Post article:

elliott.org/the-navigator/…

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,188 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: A "credit card" heads up.

Worth trying to get those extra charges reversed, as per this post from 2012:

http://tinyurl.com/mo6jc58

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,708 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A "credit card" heads up.

A bar bill and one average price hotel bill coming 3% up is probably somewhere under €10. Car hire and Castle hotels might be a different story.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
498 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A "credit card" heads up.

I had read TA, but not every single item on every single post in the Forum. Geez.

9. Re: A "credit card" heads up.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2014, 05:16