We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roads with grass in the middle

Tennessee
Level Contributor
286 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Roads with grass in the middle

I feel like I would not have a complete trip to Ireland without finding at least one (preferably more) of these types of roads. Problem is, I really don't know how we should go about finding them. Are they the roads marked L and R? Or are they even marked at all?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
50,696 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roads with grass in the middle

You mean one of these? Just about anywhere really.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boreen

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Roads with grass in the middle

hmmm...

last time we did this we got the hire car grounded, had to push it out and returned it to Hertz with an undercarriage full of mud, get full SCDW before attempting !!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,729 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Roads with grass in the middle

Most Bohreen are designated L category or less. but not all L roads have grass growing up the middle, Our lane is clear from the east but grassed from the western end, and a lot of the smaller lanes are grassed. My general rule is that if the grass reaches the axle I might just be lost. Knowing you are not far from Civilisation of sorts is that there are Telegraph poles and wires running along the roads. I have second thoughts sometimes when there is only one wire between them.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php…

Edited: 17 June 2013, 20:33
england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Roads with grass in the middle

and definitely turn back if you come across someone sitting outside their cottage playing a banjo...

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,218 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Roads with grass in the middle

We used to call them dual cabbage ways as kids

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Roads with grass in the middle

Down home we call them "blue highways". In Ireland we called them "green highways".

Tennessee
Level Contributor
286 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Roads with grass in the middle

Ok so I assume from the responses here that these roads shouldn't be that hard to find. That's good! We'll be sure to turn back if the grass gets TOO high. Thanks for your responses.

And I had to laugh at the banjo comment. I live in the southern US, and we sometimes refer to the movie Deliverance when talking about a far off remote area, thus fearing the sound of banjos. ;)

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Roads with grass in the middle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-HXV71YANU

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,518 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Roads with grass in the middle

Leprechauns with Banjos...now that's a small road.

We stopped just south of Kilkee to shoot pictures of the cliffs and a local stopped and showed us a pathway (cannot call it a road) that led down toward the cliffs. Great scenery. Would not attempt if there has been heavy rain just before your attempt and watch for wandering lambs.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,307 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Roads with grass in the middle

They're the ones where you can really give it the shoe.