We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

March vs May for weather?

Mission, Kansas
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
March vs May for weather?

My husband and I are planning a trip to Ireland for next year. Initially we were going to go over St. Patrick's Day in March because its my birthday. Now were are thinking about going in May to have better weather? We understand that it will rain no matter what, but we love to walk around and do as much as we can. I am thinking most of our time will be spent outside and we just want to make the best out of the trip.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
25,164 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: March vs May for weather?

I'd travel May if I were you. Not sure about the rain though.

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,691 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: March vs May for weather?

Wear layers in any case. I'd visit in May too. In fact, we just did. We had May days with total sunshine and most with a combo of sunshine, clouds and rain on and off in the same day. F- Temps between 40's night and 70's day. All rain was "soft" rain that only lasted minutes. There was still snow in March. No guarantees.

California
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: March vs May for weather?

Kristin:

Kansas - March or May? Because of the Gulf Stream the weather is about the same in Ireland even if farther north. May.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,388 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: March vs May for weather?

Last year St Patricks we were in mild sunny weather, this year it was cold and wet. Cant remember what the weather was like last May but you can bet it wasn't as bad as this year. May would be my recommendation in general but any plan on Ireland based purely on weather between March and October might be a non starter. May early June or September are the general recommendations.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,488 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: March vs May for weather?

"toss a coin"

upto date weather........see.........MET.IE /

Irish clocks move forward ( Summer time starts )

one hour last sunday in March.

Edited: 18 June 2013, 10:55
Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,442 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: March vs May for weather?

May

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,963 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: March vs May for weather?

May has a better chance of being warmer and dryer, no promises though.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: March vs May for weather?

Either could be wet and cold or warm and sunny, the weather is a total lottery, but it is a sure thing that there is more daylight in May.

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,040 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: March vs May for weather?

Definitely May for the same reason that fuchsiagirl mentions, the daylight in May is much longer than March.

This year May was very bad, but we have been quite lucky in other years(in fact May was our entire Summer for a couple of years!!)

Edited: 18 June 2013, 21:58
10. Re: March vs May for weather?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2014, 05:18