We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Munster Hurling Final

Atwater, CA
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Munster Hurling Final

I received a reply to another post inquiring about opportunities to enjoy traditional Irish sporting events during my upcoming visit, 6/16 - 6/28.

One of the replies noted that the Munster Hurling Final would be on 6/25, possibly in Cork. Our plans put us in the vicinity and we could arrange to be there if I knew how to secure tickets.

My two sons (13 and 15) are big American sports fans and O'Neill by surname and it would be a treat to experience a meaningful match of a completely different sport while we were in the country.

Any advice on the event and on securing tickets would be much appreciated. Bonus points to anyone who can direct my wife to potteries and antiques in the area while the boys are at play.

Thanks so much!

dublin
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Munster Hurling Final

I think this year’s Munster Hurling Final is btw Tipp and Cork. Its one of the bigger days in Irish sport and normally tickets are like hens teeth. Sorry to say you'll find it difficult to get tickets.

That said, for any match, tickets will always turn up if you look hard enough. Try GAA clubs in the area that you are staying. Ask the barmen in the pubs in Cork / Tipp do they know of any tickets (they always seem to have their ear to the ground and know if there are any spare tickets). Turn up at the stadium a few days before the game to see if there are any returns. Emphasise your Irish connections and that your two sons have always wanted to see a game of hurling, Most GAA types are decent sorts and will go out of their way to help you out if they can.

If you are in Dublin before the match try out the Croke park reception. If your sons are interested in sport they should enjoy the stadium tour and museum anyway. I can’t stress enough that you should emphasise your Irish connections. As hurling is a uniquely Irish game, the supporters are delighted that someone from outside the country follows the sport and will be genuinely interested in helping you out.

As a last option you can always but from a Tout / scalp. If you hold your nerve until long enough before throw in, you can sometimes pick up tickets at not too high above face value. Don't worry, buying tickets on the black market is barely illegal in Ireland and certainly not as serious as it is in the states.

Sorry I can’t help you out with the pottery / antiques.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
27,747 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Munster Hurling Final

<<Don't worry, buying tickets on the black market is barely illegal in Ireland and certainly not as serious as it is in the states.>>

The Gardaí may not come down heavy on people who buy tickets on the black market but there are moral issues. Sorry for ranting but I feel very strongly here. A lot - but not all - black market ticketing in Ireland is associated with either the paramiltaries or the illegal drugs industry. If you wouldn't normally donate to either of these causes, then avoid black market tickets where you don't know the provenence.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
213 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Munster Hurling Final

Definitley go to see a hurling match..it's a great sport but don't buy a ticket off a scalp. I would just be afraid that you'd be done because you're a tourist. There are lots of local games at weekends which you might be better off going to....still a great atmposphere and your hotel or local bar should be able to tell you about them.

Bee

Atwater, CA
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Munster Hurling Final

Thanks to all the posters on this topic. I have the message clear that I should not buy off a scalper and that I should check with the locals for spare tickets. Can anyone tell me what I could expect to pay for three tickets to what I assume is the Superbowl of Irish hurling (should I be lucky enough to stumble across them)?

Belfast
Level Contributor
570 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Munster Hurling Final

SharksFanTim,

It might be worth keeping an eye on http://www.ticketmaster.ie. Go to the GAA section. The Cork/Tipp match is on there but tickets arent on sale yet. I dont know how many tickets they will have available there, how quickly they will sell or when they will go on sale, but I would think you have a fair chance of getting tickets as the majority of fans dont rely on ticket agencies for tickets as they get them through their local club

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,261 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Munster Hurling Final

This is not the Superbowl of Irish Hurling. It is a regional final. There are 4 Provinces each of which play a final before going to an All-Ireland series. The All-Ireland Hurling Final is in September and this will be the Superbowl of Hurling. There is zero chance of anyone who is not connected in getting a ticket for the All-Ireland Final in Croke Park.

Is there no way you can go to the Gaelic Football match in Dublin the weekend before? You will definitely get tickets for it

7. Re: Munster Hurling Final

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 15:18