We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favorite easy pack token mementos: 5 to 20 euros

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
744 reviews
Save Topic
Favorite easy pack token mementos: 5 to 20 euros

It would be interesting to hear from visitors and locals both with suggestions about easily luggage transported (as in smaller and lighter) token gifts, beyond the obvious context of jewelry, for family and friends. Of particular merit would be items hinting of Ireland. Suggestions will be appreciated for either gender of any ages (ranging from about 5 to 20 euros) and available within generally more traveled areas.

Edited: 22 June 2013, 17:06
Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,763 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Favorite easy pack token mementos: 5 to 20 euros

Might seem cliched to some, but calendars for the following year have always been well received even - maybe, even especially - by people who have not visited Ireland.

Certain music CD compilations (not even of Irish music) that are not available in the US because of different copyright laws. I bought a couple of CDs for some Ballroom Dance aficionados of artists they could not get in the US.

For readers of specific genres (in my case, Science Fiction for a friend), books published in the UK or Australia that have not yet been published in the US are always very welcome.

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
744 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Favorite easy pack token mementos: 5 to 20 euros

Great start, Uasal. Thanks

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Favorite easy pack token mementos: 5 to 20 euros

I am never sure that others actually want a memento of where I have been on holiday, I would go with calendars, 12 stunning photos and a useful shelf life, not something they have to remember to bring out and dust when you call round!!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,307 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Favorite easy pack token mementos: 5 to 20 euros

Although we haven't been to Ireland yet (37 days to go!), in other places, we've bought local crafts such as trivets, soaps made with local ingredients, food items, note cards, scarves.

If you're buying for anyone of Irish descent, maybe you could find something with their family crest on it. I bought my parents a refrigerator magnet like that--but I knew that my mother collected magnets. The funny part is that we're not Irish, but have a very Irish last name.

I like presents, even small ones, to be personal--so try to match a gift to the recipient with great thought.

Moosup, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Favorite easy pack token mementos: 5 to 20 euros

At many of the pubs we visited the perfoming musicians were selling their CDs. I have a nice collection of a variety of performers and songs. Play them frequently to remind me of our vacations. Usually $10-15 and, and hopefully, helping small entrepeneurs. Buskers in Galway/Dublin often have their CDs for sale as well

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
282 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Favorite easy pack token mementos: 5 to 20 euros

Small 'Connemara marble' items, e.g. key fob or worry stone, went over well.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,763 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Favorite easy pack token mementos: 5 to 20 euros

For those who are visiting the area where their ancestors emigrated from, there are often local history books for sale of the parish, local school or county.

They make beautiful gifts and bring back happy memories especially for those who are now too old to travel to Ireland again.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Favorite easy pack token mementos: 5 to 20 euros

I have too many memories of my mother with a faux expression of delight when someone would bring a memento home from holiday. Would be thrown into the back of a cupboard until it served its time to be thrown into the bin! Equally, I seldom value any "mementos" that I receive - unless they are food/drink related! Actually, I think the days of buying mementos for others are gone. Years ago, it was only a select few who travelled and to get a Spanish Doll dressed in her national costume was a treat, or heaven forbid a Sombrero! First time I tasted Space Dust was from a family friend who brought me 6 sachets back from the US. Can still taste it - even with over 40 years passing!

With globalisation, everything is accessible and we all know that "Irish" things can be bought as cheap in the US as here in Ireland.

We don't as a rule bring mementos home from holidays to/for others - not being stingy - but quite frankly I'm not going to waste precious time hunting in shops for some cheap tat that the recipient will have little or no regard for. With weight restrictions, people are more cautious of what they buy, and equally I'm not going to spend wasted hours pouring over memorbilia from [insert country here] that was Made in China! My friends and family know not to bring us home anything from their travels, and in turn we don't bring to them.

However, I usually buy a few "Irish" bits when we travel - particularly for those that we may have engaged with prior to our trip and that have been more than helpful. Usually picked up at the airport as there are lots of options within all budgets if you are prepared to check-in early and have a browse around. Something "Guinness" (especially for men) and Irish Chocolates for ladies. I have also bought some whiskeys last year when travelling US/Canada which went down a treat with our hosts in two accommodation we stayed in.

Another thing I always have a few of to throw into the bag are Newbridge Christmas Ornaments and the like. The flagship showroom in Newbridge always has great value in bits and bobs and you can pick up great bits for under €10 (albeit not "made in Ireland", but what is nowadays!) It's well worth a stop if passing by http://www.newbridgesilverware.com/ Light, boxed and giftwrapped to look more expensive than what they are.

I would agree that calendars are a great cheap, lightweight option.

Something else that can be both cheap, lightweight and useful are Irish Linen Teatowels. Lots to choose from, and those with "Irish" recipes for Irish Coffee/Soda Bread are easily found at all tourist gift shops.

My favourite would be the Celtic Range from Ulster Weavers www.ulsterweavers.com/celtic_tea_towels/ and as the owner of both their teatowels and linen napkins can assure that they wash well and last forever.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,503 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Favorite easy pack token mementos: 5 to 20 euros

You are absolutely right Little Pumpkin, now that I think of the things I used to buy my kids years ago after a business trip abroad which ended up in a cupboard like hats and tee shirts never to be worn. I would go with the calendar for its usefulness to be hung on the cupboard door.

Billings, Montana
Level Contributor
38 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Favorite easy pack token mementos: 5 to 20 euros

This might sound silly, but when I was a kid, I always loved it when someone would bring back a few coins in the foreign currency! We are planning on bringing home a handful of EU cent and 2-cent pieces for the all the school friends. (The 2-cent coins are such a novelty because we don't have those in the US!)