We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hack my 10 day Ireland trip itinerary!

Rochester, New York
2 posts
Save Topic
Hack my 10 day Ireland trip itinerary!

Hey guys, hoping you can help me out. At the end of September my wife and I will be traveling to Ireland for a whirlwind 10 day trip. We're looking to see a LOT of Ireland so I know we're packing a lot in. We're in our early 30s and travel lightly, and we're kind of outside tourist season, so we're hoping this is feasible.

Could you take a look at our current itinerary and see if it sounds doable? I know there's a lot, but we're so excited about this trip we want to see all we can! You'll notice most of our destinations are the natural and historical wonders of Ireland (we're not big city people)!

Day 1

Land in Shannon at 6am

Cliffs of Moher

Drive through Burrens

Explore Galway

Press on through to Roundstone for the night

Day 2

Explore Connemara

Day 3

Drive East

Kilbeggan Distillery

Trim Castle

New Grange

Stay in Dublin

Day 4

Book of Kells

Trinity College

St Patrick's Catherdral

Other sightseeing around Dublin

Day 5

Spend the morning sightseeing in Dublin

Powerscourt

Stop in Glendalough for the night

Day 6

Glendalough

Kilkenny Castle

Cahir Castle

Stay around Cahir for the night

Day 7

Rock of Cashel

Blarney Castle

Kinsale

Day 8

Drive West to Kilarney

Kilarney National Park

Day 9

Continue sightseeing around Kilarney

Head to Dingle for the night

Day 10

Dingle Peninsula

Sightsee around Dingle

Day 11

Fly out of Shannon at noon

Virginia
Level Contributor
213 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hack my 10 day Ireland trip itinerary!

I'll start the conversation by saying that's a lot of driving after an overnight flight, especially given the change in driving conditions. Round stone is a nice town.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,731 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hack my 10 day Ireland trip itinerary!

Head as far as Galway day one, that extra 1 1/2 hours might be better the following morning. You could use Galway as a 2 night base having the full mid day exploring the Connemara area http://goo.gl/maps/L5ihu

Not sure Glendalough would have enough to keep me happy for a night and I have 20 years on you.

Kinsale is the new ******, once a fishing port now being actively hyped for tourism

Last night should be within an hour of the Airport,even for a lunch time flight arriving 3 hours early is 9am. somewhere including or between Adare and Ennis, probably not Bunratty.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,176 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hack my 10 day Ireland trip itinerary!

Day 1 isn't realistic, off a long flight. Have you driven in Ireland before?Have a look at the route planner on aaroadwatch.ie and note the0 driving times, add at least 20% on if you are not very used to Irish roads.

After Kilkenny it makes sense to go to Cashel first, rather than doubling back from Cahir to Cashel.

Glendalough and Kilkenny deserve more time that you are allowing, you'll only view places through the windscreen at that rate.

Skip Kinsale, head from Blarney to Killarney instead.

Newgrange/Brú na Bóinne is open by guided tour only, if you leave it so late in the day you many not get into see it at all.

Rochester, New York
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hack my 10 day Ireland trip itinerary!

Yeah that's kind of the feedback we're getting from a lot of the places we've posted this itinerary. I think we will make Galway a base of operations and maybe switch a lot of the first two days' sightseeing destinations to "optional" instead of "absolutely."

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,449 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hack my 10 day Ireland trip itinerary!

Day 3, I doubt very much that you will fit Newgrange into the plan because this normally takes around three hours. So after 2pm you can forget about it.

Setting Dublin in the middle of your tour sets you with a problem of where to leave the car while you are touring the city. Dublin city parking is very expensive and we advise folks to instead use public transport.

Canada
Level Contributor
3,955 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hack my 10 day Ireland trip itinerary!

"Outside the tourist season" does not really apply to September.

When I was in Kilkenny at the end of Sept there were 7 tour buses lined up outside the Castle. A fly in to Kilkenny to just see the castle doesn't really make sense since there is so much more to see in the town, including a great Cathedral with a watch tower.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,731 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hack my 10 day Ireland trip itinerary!

Two Cathedrals and a couple of Abbeys. There are parts of the itinerary where more time is allocated to areas with less around, the first couple of days cover an area 4x the size of another 2 night stay but 10 days means picking the points which suit.

…activeboard.com/t50055177/n59-galway-route/ & http://goo.gl/maps/L5ihu & www.dochara.com/tour/itineraries/burren-tour/ plus tripadvisor.ie/GoListDetail-i19855-Burren_Hi… Might give some points for the first couple of days.

Edited: 24 June 2013, 16:22
Westchester County...
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
731 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hack my 10 day Ireland trip itinerary!

Whew! This is a ten day trip and then what: a respirator?

9. Re: Hack my 10 day Ireland trip itinerary!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2014, 05:17