We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip or staying put - what is your preference?

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,223 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Road trip or staying put - what is your preference?

Just putting this out to see what people prefer and why.

Personally, I prefer to pretty much stay put and explore just the immediate locality. I have only done two real road trips in the past. My first was in the USA many years ago (NYC-Washington-Memphis-Orlando then back up the East Coast to NYC over 3 weeks). A few years ago I did an 8 day road trip in the South Island of NZ.

In Ireland I definitely like to stay put and soak up the place, with just very short car journeys

What's your preference?

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Road trip or staying put - what is your preference?

A self catering house/cottage for a week!!

B&B or hotel is ok for the odd night when travelling but I do like the convenience of having my own home base where I can get up at night, wander around, make a coffee, go out to look at the stars, be out really really late and not get up til lunchtime.

Lots of people seem put off by these being called 'self catering' homes, personally I have never cooked a meal on holiday, just buy in coffee and milk and perhaps cereal. Self catering doesnt mean you have to cater for yourself, no one checks on you!!!

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,223 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Road trip or staying put - what is your preference?

Well put. I always prefer self-catering but always eat dinner out

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,035 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Road trip or staying put - what is your preference?

oh soonas, i'd love to stay in a place for 4-5 days, but sadly until I can completely retire, I don't have that luxury....over the years I've made some lovely friends and a trip to Ireland wouldn't be complete without seeing my "irish' children who drive down from Belfast to visit with me, or my precious friends in leixlip, limerick, tara, dingle, killaloe, and bunratty.....now this year I met some more wonderful folks I really want to get back to see in clifden and at teelin bay b&b just a few miles from slieve league.....

hopefully, PG, in the next few years I can stop working and then I want to spend at least 6 weeks there....then I can stay put for longer periods of time.....what a lovely dream....

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,161 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Road trip or staying put - what is your preference?

You still have to venture up here in the Aughty Oma maybe an August for the Feakle festival. 1/2 hour from Killaloe 1/2 hour through the Forest from here,

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,035 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Road trip or staying put - what is your preference?

oh tony I would love that....looked up their site and it sounds like some real talent to be in attendance......

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Road trip or staying put - what is your preference?

@ oma14 - I'll be in east Clare and will definitely be stopping by the Feakle festival this year; I really want to see Martin Hayes, who's a local now living in US. He returns to Feakle every summer for the festival.

There's also a concert in the village hall to showcase the children's talent: amazing! Compared with the music I heard at our local eisteddfod, these children were miles away better.

@tony - are you going to Feakle this year? I'm sure I owe you a pint (or two!)

@ soonas - we tend to book a week's self-catering and explore. The older I get (big 50 next year!!), the less I like moving on every day or so. This not only applies to Ireland but locations elsewhere - not that we visit many other countries these days: my heart is in Ireland!

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,035 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Road trip or staying put - what is your preference?

oh sarnia I am so jealous....have a wonderful wonderful time....

that's not the only thing i'm jealous about, i'd love to be 50......

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Road trip or staying put - what is your preference?

thank you, oma :-)

sigh . . . . I'm counting down the days, dreaming of Ireland in my spare moments . . . .

NOT counting down the days to 50 : he he!!!

County Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
755 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Road trip or staying put - what is your preference?

Hi Soonas! I also now love visiting an area and exploring. Spending a week in Killarney (a whole 90 mins from home!) and already have more things I want to see than time!

When I was younger it was about getting a train pass and seeing as much as possible, sleeping on the train, and being exhausted when going home! Now it's about enjoying an area and exploring what I've missed. I would rather experience an area rather than see a sight..... Either way is fun though and I just like to travel! Wish it was me that won the lotto so I could travel more!!!!

Goose bay, NL
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Road trip or staying put - what is your preference?

Has anyone tried a camper van rental? Or are the streets really that narrow driving in Ireland :-z