We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending money in Ireland?

Grimes, Iowa
7 posts
Save Topic
Spending money in Ireland?

I iwll be in Ireland for 9 days and was wondering how much to bring for spending money. All tours and hotels are already paid for. We also have two meals that are paid for. The spending money will mainly be for food and of course a lot of alcohol. We will do some shopping but not a lot. We have 2-3 days that are packed full so we won't have a lot of time for shopping or drinking. I'm thinking 100 Euros a day? Maybe More?

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,303 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spending money in Ireland?

you do know we are now owned by the IMF so bring lots lunch about €10 dinner €25-40 pint of Guinness about €5 x 20 per day and they don't allow you to shop in pubs.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
20,058 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spending money in Ireland?

Yes. you could certainly manage on €100 per day, but you never know what extras you might be keen on getting, so a rule of thumb is to bring twice what you think you will need. I am not sure where else you are visiting, but the euro is now standard currency throughout Europe apart from the uk, who are still a little old fashioned an still use sterling

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spending money in Ireland?

Guarantee for a nice trip = Pack 1/2 as much stuff and bring twice as much money than you originally planned! :-)

Virginia
Level Contributor
228 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spending money in Ireland?

I skip lunch, maybe a scone & tea. Eating pub food will save on dinner cost, and outside of Dublin a pint can be had closer to 4 euro. My wife reverts to her youth when home in Ireland and drinks Bacardi & Cokes.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spending money in Ireland?

If breakfast is included with your accommodation, you won't need much for lunch at all. Maybe a bowl of soup, coffee + scone or even grab a pre-prepared salad, fruit or sandwich to go from a supermarket or deli and have a cheap picnic.

East Haddam...
Level Contributor
586 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spending money in Ireland?

If your doing any coach tours that aren't serving anything don't hesitate on pre-made sandwiches from convenience stores. Compared to the nasty stuff in American stores these are 10x as good, and great if your going to be out all day and just want something to throw in your bag and snack on while touring.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spending money in Ireland?

I usually budget €100 per day for the two of us, this covers one meal out in a pub and petrol, but I dont bring it as cash, use a credit card.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,422 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spending money in Ireland?

I agree with fuchsiagirl, if you haven't already gotten euros, don't.....that is the very highest cost for getting your currency....use your atm, the best exchange rate, for getting cash.....

Grimes, Iowa
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Spending money in Ireland?

Fees from our banks and for our credit cards are rediculous. I have to pay an extra $5 per transaction through our bank. Would it still be better to use our cards or cash? Should we get any euros? like for any places that may not take cards? And we plan on doing some picknicking. I think I'm going to budget 150 a day but we will have an extra if needed.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,422 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spending money in Ireland?

keyleigh, I just get about 300 euro per draw, thus cutting down on the bank fee, which I am lucky with as mine only charges $1.00 per withdrawal.....I never take any euro unless I have some left from my last trip...then at the airport I get 300 on arrival......