We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Abbeyglen Castle Hotel

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
237 posts
Save Topic
Abbeyglen Castle Hotel

One week today I'll be getting on my flight! Will be sure to post a trip review on here, as I've loved reading others reviews, and everyone here has been so helpful!

Just found out our last 2 nights have been changed from another hotel in Connemara to the Abbeyglen Castle hotel.... part of booking through a tour company I guess lol

Looks beautiful, but has anyone stayed here? I know it's about an hour from Galway city, but is there much to do within walking/taxi distance from the hotel, especially for nightlife etc? Looks like beautiful drives around the area during the day, more just wondering about things to do once we're 'home' for the evening!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,331 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Abbeyglen Castle Hotel

It's 1 1/2 hours from Galway as a visitor but 5 minutes easy walk (up hill going back) into the centre of Clifden.

http://goo.gl/maps/L5ihu has points of interest in the area. There are good places to eat in town, lots of music. Sorry don't remember your dates?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
237 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Abbeyglen Castle Hotel

Thanks Tony, will check out the map! I can handle a 5 min walk, and if I have enough Guiness won't even notice the uphill walk back lol... Will be there a Sat and Sun (July 13 and 14), coming from Ennis on the 13th.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,331 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Abbeyglen Castle Hotel

13th there is a Raft Regata down by the Boathouse https:/…

14th is the Rounstone Pony show discoverireland.ie/Whats-On/…506227 (The actual web page is being blocked by my firewall so might best be avoided)

For the route to Clifden (plus round to Leenane) …activeboard.com/t50055177/n59-galway-route/

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
237 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Abbeyglen Castle Hotel

Wow thanks so much Tony! Looks like lots of info on the drive route to Clifden-I'm at work so have to 'look' busy but have printed it off to look at before I go!

As far as Galway, we were planning on stopping on our way to Clifden, but is there a need to go back in the next day, or better scenery to see staying in Clifden/Connemara area?

I've read/heard a lot about how fun Galway City is, but will be stopping in other cities/towns along the way, so not sure how much time is necessary to spend there? Clifden looks a little more remote, but equally as nice?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,331 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Abbeyglen Castle Hotel

No need to go back to Galway. we take visitors for an hour wandering round the shops and lunch in Busker Brownes then move on. It is a great touring base as there are lots of options.

Clifden takes 1/2 an hour to walk round so everything is together. Connellys is a good bar for entertainment, Lowry's will have traditional trad, Manions is good for food, if you want a foodie badge then Michele's takes money of many, but not me. Off the Square is good and the Marconi is getting good reports if you want non pub grub.

Brogans is our bar of choice in Ennis, good food good Guinness, good music.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,440 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Abbeyglen Castle Hotel

I have to second ALL of the recommendations that Tony has given. :-)

Clifden is my favorite town in Ireland to date. On our first trip we spent a few hours (including lunch) on our way from Galway to Kylemore, last trip we stayed 3 nights and next trip we are planning to stay 5 nights. The Abbeyglen is in a great location with very easy access to town. We stayed at the Quay House downhill from town and would walk past the back of the Abbeyglen grounds - it looked very nice.

We had dinner at Manions one night, skipped Mitchells after looking at the menu (and prices - YOWSERS!) and loved our dinner at Marconi in the Foyle hotel (which consequentially is owned by the twin brother of Paddy Foyle who with his wife Juila own the Quay House).

We met new friends at Busker Browns in Galway for lunch and had a wonderful meal, it is very central to lots of great shops and areas to walk. If you get a chance, take a walk along the river - it is one of my favorite thing in Galway and is beautiful!

Loved our time spent in Brogans as well when we stayed in Ennis (at the Old Ground). Also would recommend the Poet's Corner in the Old Ground for good food and music.

Enjoy your trip!

Edited: 27 June 2013, 20:47
Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,796 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Abbeyglen Castle Hotel

Hubby and I spent a most enjoyable weekend in the Abbeyglen some years ago.

A friend of mine and her hubby visit at least once a year. They're just back. And yes, the food was as good as ever, the service was as good as ever. I hope you'll enjoy the hotel as much as so many other people do.

But sorry! Give me Galway over Clifden any day...

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
237 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Abbeyglen Castle Hotel

Thanks for all the pub and restaurant suggestions! I'll have to write them all down to try and get to them all!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
237 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Abbeyglen Castle Hotel

So am just looking at our couple days prior to arriving in Clifden. Day we arrive we will be driving from Ennis, and the day before will be going Dingle->Ennis via the Shannon Ferry. As far as time, which day would be best to see the Cliffs of Moher/the Burren? Will it be too rushed to make those stops en route from Ennis to Clifden or will it be too rushed?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,331 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Abbeyglen Castle Hotel

There is a lot of ground between Ennis and Clifden.. I have given from Galway too Clifden above. If you get out over the Shannon early by ferry (not that early call and see Listowel first) then you can see Loop Head peninsula before getting to Ennis http://www.loophead.ie/ (another link on the old lap top will post later) Then after check in and 6pm feed in Brogans? head up to see the Cliffs in the evening before returning to Ennis for some music.

The other alternate is to do the sights of north Clare and Burren (inc Cliffs) before you hit the N59 www.dochara.com/tour/itineraries/burren-tour/ plus tripadvisor.ie/GoListDetail-i19855-Burren_Hi…

There is a lot of area and not enough time so just pick key points from the whole and plan to come back for the rest.