We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do the maths: 20 + 9 = Ireland; Now where to go?

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
744 reviews
Save Topic
Do the maths: 20 + 9 = Ireland; Now where to go?

I just read a survey that compared many average national vacation time averages and Ireland, interestingly enough, finished number one with 20 days plus 9 public holidays. With such time potentially available to visit other countries and being Irish yourself, to what other nation would you first or next consider making that adventure and why?

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,366 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do the maths: 20 + 9 = Ireland; Now where to go?

in addition to many European countries (12 I think), I have visited the US, Australia, NZ and Singapore.

Our regular sunny destination is Portugal, and my bucket list includes South Africa, Vietnam and China. My wife has never been to NYC, so that is on the list too

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
744 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do the maths: 20 + 9 = Ireland; Now where to go?

My suspicion, soonas, was that Iberia would be the frontrunner, but I'll just sit back for awhile now and see if that instinctive reaction serves me poorly.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,048 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do the maths: 20 + 9 = Ireland; Now where to go?

Malta in May or September and there are still corners of Ireland that need finer examination, probably the south east.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Do the maths: 20 + 9 = Ireland; Now where to go?

Had our "big" holiday this year already in March (Las Vegas), and have just returned from a week in The Lake District in the UK. Taking my Mam to Maastricht (Holland) for a few days soon as well.

A few days in London in September to visit the Pompeii & Herculaneum Exhibition at The British Museum. Have the tickets bought since last year and really looking forward to it.

We were planning to go to Istanbul around the October Bank Holiday. That has been put on the back boiler for the moment with the trouble over there.

Looks like a week in Porto and the Douro Valley will have to compensate for Istanbul later this year, but I'm not complaining, so your "Iberian Theory" may just be proven correctly. If we don't do that - a long weekend in Bruges (Belgium) before Christmas will be proposed (by me!) for consideration. I love Bruges in Wintertime.

Nothing planned for 2014 as yet, but will probably go across the Atlantic at some stage during the year, which we do every 12-18 months.

Already starting tentative planning for Vietnam & Cambodia for 2015.

'Suppose hubbie and I are lucky that we receive more than 20 + 9 days A/L per year so that it allows the flexibility of travel. We are not restricted with set times either so can travel off peak times as well.

Edited: 01 July 2013, 21:59
Ireland
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Do the maths: 20 + 9 = Ireland; Now where to go?

I can't believe we're no. 1, as we have a lot fewer public holidays than most other Europeancountries ( think only the UK has fewer) and the minimum 20 days leave is a European standard as far as I know. Anyway, my holidays have been limited in recent years due to having young children. We have managed to go to Italy, USA (California and Maine), England, Scotland and the Canary Islands (lanzarote) since becoming parents. The Canaries are fine for a beach holiday and are very family friendly, but wouldn't be my no. 1 choice otherwise.

In Europe, I love Italy and have been several times. Food, people, scenery are all fab. For a city break, I love Venice and Berlin, I'd go back Berlin in a flash and would consider taking the kids. Tons to do and architecturally stunning.

We love the USA and have been a few times,most recently to Maine in 2010. Now that Aer Lingus is supposedly resuming flights to San Francisco, we will probably return there in the next few years. It's expensive though having to pay full fare for2 children. I love California, it's so relaxed with loads to do.

Our next mini holiday is 3 nights in Waterford later this month, can't wait!

Dublin
Level Contributor
2,262 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Do the maths: 20 + 9 = Ireland; Now where to go?

France has at least 25 days leave per year, we're no way number one in that chart :(

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Do the maths: 20 + 9 = Ireland; Now where to go?

France basically has the whole of July off, plus all their other holidays. My other half works for a Swedish company and says that they have waaaay more holidays than us.

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
744 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do the maths: 20 + 9 = Ireland; Now where to go?

With helpful input from responders, I did some further research and the results are all over the map. It seems Ireland MAY Well BE AMONG the world leaders but seem, with more information, only thus far number one in the ENGLISH speaking world with a good handful of other non English speaking nations ahead. Scamp and Andarma helped get us more properly tracked with that French observation (among others), as we go on with favorite landing spots vacation wise for the Irish.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,871 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do the maths: 20 + 9 = Ireland; Now where to go?

Hi preglad

Our favourite destination is Italy. We've been to the lakes in northern Italy, The Veneto region, Tuscany, Lazio and all along the Amalfi coast, but our favourite region so far is Umbria. Italy is just wonderful and we all have a love affair with it....to be fair the children love the gelato :-)

We've just had our main holiday this year to Florida. We also go to Spain with extended family at least once a year and we also visit the UK once or twice a year to see friends and family there.

Pre-children we travelled a lot whenever we could but its much more expensive now with a family. It is also relatively difficult to get accommodation for 5 in Europe without paying a fortune.

I am a firm believer in the benefits of a good holiday and the wonder of travel and am happy to make sacrifices in other spending in order to travel as much as possible.

Future dreams include visiting Puglia and staying in a Trulli and when the children no longer want to holiday with us we would love to drive a shiny gulfstream RV from Florida up to New York stopping wherever took our fancy along the way.

Great question and interesting to see that you were fairly correct in your Iberian assumption!

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,497 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do the maths: 20 + 9 = Ireland; Now where to go?

i'll let you know where else i'd spend 20 days as soon as I've seen all of Ireland....9 trips, between 15-18 days each and still haven't seen everything....

been to England, the Netherlands, Scotland, Bolivia, but none could replace Ireland by a long shot.....