We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Ireland to the Netherlands?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Ireland to the Netherlands?

Hello, I was wondering if it is possible to drive from Ireland to The Netherlands and back using a rental car.

Thanks for any help in advance

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,610 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Ireland to the Netherlands?

Physically, it is possible to do it (using 2 separate ferry trips -each way) and many many kilometres !!!

Dublin to Amsterdam by road and ferry for example is 1130Km (700 miles)

Journey time is estimated at 12 hours NOT including time spent waiting for and travelling on the ferries.

However, car rental companies in Ireland will not allow you to take the car on a ferry to europe, (possibly to UK) if you do it without their knowledge, your car insurance will be null and void.

Also, I found this when I googled:

"Taking the car out of the country

When renting your car in the Republic you are certainly allowed to take it into Northern Ireland. Some car hire companies will charge a cross-border add-on insurance to cover any breakdowns you may have while in the North. This is because of the exchange rate.

Most companies will NOT allow cross-channel passage, but some due, including our main vendor. There are stipulations though, which include that you must return the car in Ireland, and a hefty cash deposit to guard against the car being left outside of Ireland. This deposit pays to have someone go to the car and drive it back...airfare or ferry passage to the car, petrol, meals for the person going to get the car, their salary, etc. This privilege is only good for travel into Great Britain and does not include taking the car on the ferry to the Continent."

If you really really want to do this, then best thing is to contact one of the mainstream car rental companies based in Ireland. AVIS, HERTZ and BUDGET are all good companies to make initial contact with

Edited: 03 July 2013, 07:22
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,759 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Ireland to the Netherlands?

Possible Yes but then so is Space travel if you have enough money.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,283 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Ireland to the Netherlands?

I have driven to The Netherlands (even Germany) and back. What I would recommend is putting in a long overnight ferry leg across the North Sea. That way you can do a lot of travelling when you sleep. Get your ferries right and you could do Dublin-Rotterdam in around 20 hours, but with only around 4 hours of driving.

Harwich-Hook of Holland is the best North Sea Route if leaving from Rosslare, Hull-Rotterdam if leaving from Dublin.

But as Bryno said, you may have serious problems with your hire car.

I'd also query whether it's worthwhile. Lets say it takes an extra 2 days of car hire, burns 50 litres of fuel and you have to pay for 4 ferry crossings. You're looking at a cost above 600 Euro. Book in advance and you will easily get Dublin or Cork to Amsterdam flights for 120 Euro. So, unless there's a large group, it won't work out financially.

4. Re: Driving from Ireland to the Netherlands?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2014, 06:18