We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent an auto in Ireland and return it in UK?

Leesburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
65 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Rent an auto in Ireland and return it in UK?

Is it possible to rent a vehicle in Ireland and return it in the UK? We are a family of 6 and usually need a minivan.

We are planning a trip from the States starting in Ireland. would like a rented auto so we can see the countryside. Would drive to Scotland. Likely take a train from there to London.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,485 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rent an auto in Ireland and return it in UK?

The journey between Northern Ireland and Scotland would include a ferry crossing. I doubt that any Irish car hire firm (north or south) would allow you to hire a vehicle in Ireland and drop it off in Scotland.

I am almost certain that there are bus routes between either Belfast/Dublin and Glasgow.

Edited: 04 July 2013, 02:26
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
366 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rent an auto in Ireland and return it in UK?

I don't believe that any rental company would permit you to take a car from Ireland to Scotland on the ferry, but you should be able to drop of the car at the Irish end and arrange to pick up another car in Scotland

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rent an auto in Ireland and return it in UK?

I dont know of any Irish car hire co that would allow you to drop the car on mainland UK, or even take it over on the ferry, you may even have trouble leaving an Irish car in Northern Ireland as this is part of the uk.

Some UK companies(Hertz for example) allow their cars to go to Ireland but you have to bring them back to the UK.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,967 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rent an auto in Ireland and return it in UK?

Repatriation of a car from Scotland to Ireland would cost you in excess of €500 plus lost rental days and any other extra the couple of rental companies who would do this feel like charging probably over €1000 on top of the rental.. A coach ticket from Dublin or Belfast to Glasgow or Edinburgh would cost you €45

http://www.stenaline.ie/ferry/travel-by-coach

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,136 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rent an auto in Ireland and return it in UK?

Do the maths.

6. Re: Rent an auto in Ireland and return it in UK?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2014, 05:17