We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary advice :)

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary advice :)

We are taking a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Ireland for 11 nights. We will be traveling with our five kiddos (ages 13, 11, 8, 6 and 3) and fly in and out of Dublin. Here is our basic plan:

2 nights Dublin

2 nights Cork

2 nights Kenmare

3 nights Dingle

2 nights Galway (departure from Dublin 5:10pm)

Is 3 nights too long in Dingle? I think it will be a fun place to explore and relax a bit. Is it best to stay in the actual town of Dingle, or would anywhere on the Peninsula be better? Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks for your help!

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,218 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary advice :)

I love the Dingle peninsula. A few years ago we were in the priviledged position to buy a second home. Of all the places we could choose from we opted for the Dingle peninsula, near the village of Ventry at the western tip.

You will find plenty to do to fill your three days, and I would recommend staying somewhere like Ventry. It has an excellent beach on your doorstep, but is only 10 minutes drive to Dingle.

There are many activities to keep the youngsters amused

tripadvisor.ie/GoListDetail-i24770-Dingle_fo…

The peninsula is, however, remote (part of its charm), and is not a good base for day trips to other parts of Kerry (it takes an hour to get to Tralee, longer to Killarney). But then you have Kenmare slated for two nights, which is a good base for the wild Beara Peninsula and the Killarney area

The choice is yours. Do you want some "down time" during the trip to relax and soak in one place? Or do you want to see more of Ireland on your "once in a lifetime" trip.

As regards your other choices, I would maybe do one night in Kinsale and either add it to Galway, or stop over in County Clare which has a lot to offer.

You will get lots of other good advice on this forum

grafton
Level Contributor
624 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary advice :)

I am also planning our first trip to Ireland in 2015 with only my husband and myself. We too have five children and the last finishes Year 12 in 2014 and hopes to have a gap year in the UK. I really admire you taking your whole family on such a lovely holiday. However, I think it would be less stressful if you based yourself in one area for a week.

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary advice :)

Thank you both for your quick replies. Soonas, when you mention adding a night in Kinsale, are you suggesting not staying in Cork?

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,218 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary advice :)

Sorry, I must be seeing things! I thought that you had Kinsale in there for two nights. No I would not suggest adding a night in Kinsale. It can be reached from Cork easily if you want to visit

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
11,660 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary advice :)

the pace is great....the only thing i'd suggest was maybe not staying "in" Dublin, Galway, or Cork, maybe get somewhere out of city centre....I only say this because the bigger kids could go off and explore on their own and be perfectly comfortable if it were smaller villages instead of cities where there are tons of people and tons of traffic.....

3 days in dingle is wonderful, go for it....a trip to the blaskets where the kids could run free and see the seals sun bathing, not to mention a trip to the aquarium and the boat trip out to see fungi the dolphin are a kids delight....

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,197 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary advice :)

On the other hand, there is lots for the children to do in the cities of Dublin, Cork and Galway. By staying in a hotel in the city, there are no additional travel costs involved.

You could also split into two groups, if needs be, for separate activities. Best of all, you will have easy access to your hotel for some downtime, as required.

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
1,263 posts
735 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary advice :)

For me. Soonas' advice and disposition here combined with Oma's penchant for smaller villages in your circumstances would be my ticket. Yet Usal makes a strong counterpoint as well. Look it all over both ways and see what suits you better.

You won't go anyway near wrong either way with such guidance as has been provided so very well by those three sage souls.

Edited: 07 July 2013, 15:55
8. Re: Itinerary advice :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 07 July 2013, 17:36
9. Re: Itinerary advice :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2014, 06:19