We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TENTATIVE Itinerary for Trip - Late Sept./Early Oct.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Topic
TENTATIVE Itinerary for Trip - Late Sept./Early Oct.

First, sincere thanks to all TA Destination Experts, contributors, and Ireland travelers for taking the time to share your knowledge and opinions. They are invaluable!

My main answers to "Bryno's Questions" are that my three adult daughters and I will be visiting Ireland for10 glorious days in late Sept./early Oct. We will be flying in and out of Dublin and we are renting a car (Lord have mercy!). Cities, museums, and shopping are not our main focus on this trip. Here -- without providing too much detail -- is what we have so far:

Day 1 - Land in Dublin early a.m.. Take cab to hotel, drop luggage, have breakfast. Take LUAS to Dublin City Center. Ideally, take a walking tour. Walk around Trinity College (if possible, see the Book of Kells), sit on a bench in St. Stephen's Green, stop by a pub or two, crash back at the hotel.

Day 2 - Cab to Dublin Airport to pick up the rental car. Drive to Galway. Night in Salthill.

Day 3 - Weather permitting, drive to Rossaveal, take ferry to Inishmore. Dirve to Clifden for the night.

Day 4 - Connemara. Night in Clifden.

Day 5 - Leave Clifden, explore The Burren, visit the Cliffs of Moher. Spend the night in... ? (Lahinch, Enistymon, Kilrush... other?)

Day 6 - Take ferry to Tarbert. Night in Ventry, Dingle.

Day 7 - Killarney (Two days: Ring of Kerry, Killarney National Park)

Day 8 - Killarney

Day 9 - Leave Killarney and stop in ?? on way back to Dublin (Rock of Cashel/Kilkenny, Waterford, somewhere in Wicklow?)

Day 10 - Malahide

Any and all suggestions and advice are welcome!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,872 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TENTATIVE Itinerary for Trip - Late Sept./Early Oct.

Couple of points.. Consider Galway direct from the Airport, it is 2 1/2 hours straight on good roads and frees up the first day, half of which might be dragging baggage. Staying the night in South Clare means you can drive round the dingl peninsula on the way to Killarney there is no law apart from the unwritten TA DD one that states Dingle is a compulsory overnight

These options free up time at the end for Dublin.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,785 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TENTATIVE Itinerary for Trip - Late Sept./Early Oct.

An overnight in Dingle is a very nice idea, in my opinion

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,785 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TENTATIVE Itinerary for Trip - Late Sept./Early Oct.

While Ventry is lovely (it is my local village), it is very quiet in late September and October. It is a 15 minute drive to Dingle. Your visit might coincide with the Dingle Food and Wine Festival in early October, which is great fun

http://www.dinglefood.com/

Edited: 08 July 2013, 16:18
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: TENTATIVE Itinerary for Trip - Late Sept./Early Oct.

Thank you, Tony and soonas, for your excellent thoughts and suggestions.

Tony, one of my daughters has been to Ireland before but did not have the opportunity to visit Dublin, so even a quick look at the city was on her must-do list. My thought was that using that first (jet-lagged) day to get our feet on the ground and stretch our legs around town made sense. (Also, I must admit that not having to deal with the car hire and driving challenges upon stepping off the plane was appealing, too!)

Heading back to Dublin on Day 9 for another look around the city is a real possibility.-- unless we just have to head back to Dingle for the beginning of the Food and Wine Festival! (That does look like fun, soonas, and would be right up our alley!)

About Ventry being very quiet at that time of year, that is definitely something to consider as we decide on where to stay. Dingle may be a better choice for our early Oct. visit.

Thank you both, again, for your advice and suggestions. I truly appreciate it. All further thoughts/reactions are most welcome!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TENTATIVE Itinerary for Trip - Late Sept./Early Oct.

The drive to Galway should not be a whizz, but should involve visiting places like Clonmacnoise en route. The Ops plan to do it on day 2 make sense, as after a nights rest a full day can then follow.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,785 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TENTATIVE Itinerary for Trip - Late Sept./Early Oct.

@MAinMo

Dingle has several good festivals during the year. By far my favourite is the food fest. I will probably miss it this year as I am due to be in (what a coincidence) St Louis MO on business.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: TENTATIVE Itinerary for Trip - Late Sept./Early Oct.

@gaelflyer...

A stop at Clonmacnoise en route from Dublin to Galway is a great suggestion. If we can depart Dublin in timely fashion on Day 2, we should have plenty of time for a good visit there. (As a side note, throughout the trip we hope to be checked into our accommodations before dark, if possible. Daytime driving will be challenging enough for us! After dark, we'll be happy to leave the car parked and walk or take a taxi.)

@soonas...

I'll have to let you know what you missed at the food fest! If I can be of any assistance to you as you plan your visit to St. Louis, MO, please let me know. (That really is a coincidence!)

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,785 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TENTATIVE Itinerary for Trip - Late Sept./Early Oct.

Thanks. Might pick your brains for some advice on places to eat. I will have little time to enjoy your home town as my time there is limited to three 12-hour working days. To be honest, if I can get a colleague to go in place, I'll munching at the Food Festival myself.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: TENTATIVE Itinerary for Trip - Late Sept./Early Oct.

@Soonas -- Iif your trip to St. Louis materializes, please PM me and I will be more than happy to give you a few suggestions!

Meanwhile, I am still working on our itinerary which is much as it was when I first posted. Our trip is interesting in that it spans late September and early October. Obviously, there is a NOTICEABLE drop in both crowds -- and prices -- from one month to the other. (When do the fall colors paint the Emerald Isle?)

You may notice several "holes" in our itinerary (especially as we move into the Oct. part of the trip) and we are very much of the mind to "wing" it on those nights. This gives us at least a little flexibility to stay an extra night somewhere ..... or take the advice of those we meet along the way.

I LOVE the advice of everyone here on TA to not over pre-plan and be spontaneous. BUT, when you already have a reservation that locks you in, you are stuck. Now you have a destination, a deadline -- and pressure. NOT what you want. I mean, that's why we're spending approx. 1000 euro to hire a car -- to have that freedom.

With my trusty TESCO phone, I think we'll be OK.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: TENTATIVE Itinerary for Trip - Late Sept./Early Oct.

Hey, you two could have done a house swap!!