We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to pack for July.

Berkeley Heights...
2 posts
Save Topic
What to pack for July.

Hi there,

I'm traveling to Ireland July 13-27, 2013 and am really at a loss for what to pack. We are flying into Shannon and traveling the western coast, Ring of Kerry. Do i need shorts or is the weather cool enough to mainly wear capris and pants? Sort sleeves, long sleeves? Do I need many sweaters? I have a lightweight raincoat because I've heard it rains randomly. Also for going to dinner what is the usual dress, pretty casual like pants and a nice sweater or shirt or should I pack a few dresses? I don't want to be that annoying American tourist where I'm under/overdressed everywhere we go.

Thank you!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,513 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to pack for July.

It's a bit weird (but in a nice way) because we are currently enjoying a very long awaited heat wave here, which has seen our temps soaring at their hottest to 30'. For that reason, it is difficult to advise you. If I knew this weather was set to continue for a few more weeks I could confidently tell you to 'pack light' with shorts and T's. However, this is Ireland and the general rule is LAYERS. You could take a chance with shorts and short sleeves, but if you do, then don't forget capris or pants either.

Eating out here is casual, and what you described would be perfect. You do not need to wear a dress to the majority of the restaurants in this country. Sometimes even 'Smart Casual' is deemed 'overdressed'!!!

So, as I said, think layers, using a combo of what you listed yourself above, and YES bring a rain jacket.

Why not check back here two days before you travel for an update and also keep an eye on this very informative site.

www.met.ie

Berkeley Heights...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What to pack for July.

Great I'll do that. Thank you so much!

3. Re: What to pack for July.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2014, 06:19