We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving In Ireland

Surprise, Arizona
Level Contributor
9 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Driving In Ireland

Just got back from driving all over Ireland for 9 days picking up a car at Dublin airport. There have been alot of questions on Insurance just wanted to share my experience, I rented from Avis booking early & paying in advance my rental rate included the regular CDW, Theft,Liability Ins,Tax, & Unlimited miles. We rented a Nissan Qashqai for 4 of us traveling, the trunk was a little small but we made out OK. We did rent a GPS & took out the Super CDW. (all of this insurance covered tires & windshields) We had to pay for a full tank of fuel but if returned full (which we did) they took the charge off. The car was new drove very well. No problems with checkin & the return was very easy. The total price in US dollars was $606.40 (higher than I have ever paid but worth it for the peace of mind). Hope this helps.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,934 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving In Ireland

Thanks for the helpful feedback. Do you mind my asking how far ahead you booked and paid?

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
754 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving In Ireland

This certainly sounds more in keeping with I've found to be the case than recently reported here. Some much higher quotes encountered were being appraised by some responders as standard in high season.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
19,192 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving In Ireland

it is nice to hear someone being positive for a change. this reinforces what I said elsewhere....we only see the few complaints on this site, but for each single complaint, there are thousands and thousands of satisfied renters. the OP did his homework and everything went well.

Surprise, Arizona
Level Contributor
9 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving In Ireland

I booked the end of April & by paying in advance I received a small discount. I really liked the fact that the Avis website stated all extra charges ( if you choose it) so I had a pretty good idea of what the final amount would be. Also, if you rent a more expensive car your Super CDW will be higher. I did find the smaller car was easier to handle on the smaller roads. Hope this helps.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,934 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving In Ireland

Thanks a lot. Very helpful.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
770 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving In Ireland

Well done. We've rented with Dooley the past three years without a problem. Like you, we booked ahead directly with Dooley, paid for all the extras (except the GPS--we take our own), paid for the full tank, which was promptly reimbursed when the car was returned. Far too many people don't do their homework ahead and end up not having a clue when they pick up the car. Glad to hear of your positive experience.

BTW--we rented a Qashqai last year for three adults and one child. Even with our relatively small cases there isn't a lot of boot room. Nice car though and ours had only 9 KM on the odometer when we picked it up!!

Elwood, IL
Level Contributor
316 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving In Ireland

Was the car auto or stick?

8. Re: Driving In Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2014, 06:18