We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Between Dublin and Kinsale

new york
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Between Dublin and Kinsale

Hello

I am trying to put our itinerary together for late March 2014. We are

staying in Dublin 1 night and instead of staying the 2nd as well I was

thinking that maybe we will get a car and drive to Glendalough and

the sites around there. We are staying our 3rd night in Kinsdale

so I would like to stay somewhere in between these locations

so we don't have any 5 hour drives. Any suggestions? Seems

that Kilkenny seems nice (although the castle is closed until April)

but that is still 176 miles away from Kinsale.

Thanks!

Christine

Blarney Castle & Gardens
Castles, Historic Sites, Historic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Kilkenny Castle
Castles, Historic Sites
Trim Castle
Castles, Historic Sites
London, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Between Dublin and Kinsale

Christine,

Whichever way you slice the trip between Dublin and Kinsale, there'll be a long drive involved. Kilkenny is as good a place to break the journey as any; there's plenty of things to see (even in March), and for a top-notch dinner, you can zip over to the Sol restaurant in Thomastown.

P

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,740 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Between Dublin and Kinsale

Depends on the Whole itinerary, how long you have and your interests.. The Castle is a Big draw for Kilkenny but there is a fair lot more around and about..Waterford is only 2 hours from Kinsale. Truth is there are lots of places with more options than Glendalough for a night.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,279 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Between Dublin and Kinsale

Kilkenny to Kinsale is 176 km, not 176 miles. That's a bit over 100 miles. It's still a long way, but not quite so bad.

New York
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
835 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Between Dublin and Kinsale

Hi, eastny,

I think you cannot go wrong with any of those choices. I don't know how much time you have altogether, but in two weeks upcoming we've got successive overnights set for each (Glendalough, Kilkenny, Kinsale with but one night as well for the Dublin area) this time. If you are restricted by time, there are clearly distinctions in what each of these three options provides.

With enough research, you can best for yourself determine what is compelling for inclusion on this particular trip. In my own case, I always strive to leave the most time for the west coast of Ireland regardless of all other considerations. For others, it might be completely different. It's all about wonderful choices.

5. Re: Between Dublin and Kinsale

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2014, 05:19