We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Itinerary try

NY
Level Contributor
101 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Another Itinerary try

It is a good thing I started a year early! I have changed my intire itinerary.

Day Place Sleep

0 Flight from Roch to Shannon

1 Arrival / Burren/ Doolin Doolin/ Ballyvaughan

2 Burren “

3 Drive to Dingle Dingle

4 Dingle/ Slea Head drive “

5 Dingle “

6 Drive to Kenmare/ Killarney Natl Park/ etc Kenmare

7 Gap of Dunloe “

8 Beara “

9 Drive to Cashel/ Athassal Priory/ Cahir Castle or Rock? Cashel

10 Drive to Port Laois/ Rock of Dunamase/Hill of Tara/ Trim? Duleek

11 Newgrange/ Knowth “

12 Slieve Gullion in Newry, Armagh/ Newtownhamilton ( family roots) Carrickfergus

13 Glenariff Forest Park Glenariff

14 “ “

15 Drive coast, Rope bridge, Giant’s Causeway Derry

16 Drive to Sligo Markree Castle

17 Drive to Westport ? Westport

18 Westport ( Archill Is?) “

19 Westport to Clifden with stops/ Sky Rd Clifden

20 Clifden to Leeanne/ Loughs Mask Oughterard

21 Drive to Shannon area Bunratty

22 Fly home

Questions.. Sligo to ? Im not sure about this part of the trip. I am not sure whether to go to Archill Island or maybe go farther in to Connemara from Sligo and do a day in Inis Mor? I will have the day heading for Shannon to work with too. Ideas please? Thank you. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,957 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another Itinerary try

To cut any backtracking on this itinerary how about leaving Clare to the end and a first night somewhere south of the Shannon, Adare or Listowel? Maybe even a steady drive to Dingle.. That said there is a day too many for Dingle that could easily be used elsewhere.

Achill is well worth a visit as is the rest of north Mayo.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another Itinerary try

so, on day 6 you are driving from Dingle to Kenmare via Killarney, stopping at the lakes etc and on Day 7 you are driving back to Killarney from Kenmare to see the gap of Dunloe, this makes no sense.

Day 6 why not stop in Killarney and see everything you want before carrying on to Kenmare on day 7, this avoids all the backtracking.

NY
Level Contributor
101 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another Itinerary try

Thank you for the suggestions.

We decided to stay with going to the Burren area first so it was a shorter drive the first day and will give us a chance to stop at Loop Head on the way to Dingle. We did add a day to the Burren area to go to Inis Oirr, as Tony has made it sound very appealing.

From your recommendation of seeing all of the Killarney area on the day driving to Kenmare, how would we work this? Should we take a tour or is this something we could do on our own and if so what would be the best order and way to go? Im assuming we will be leaving Dingle around 8 30 or 9 am.

Day 7 will become Beara and day 8 will either be Gleninchaquin Park, Gougane Barra or Mizen Head. Still cant stop thinking about Three Castle head! If it were to be Mizen I would want to find a private tour guide who would drive as my husband needs a sit back and have fun ride after driving Beara the day before. Anyone know of any company that does this? I wouldnt even mind sharing this trip with another couple.

NY
Level Contributor
101 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another Itinerary try

I goofed up my days! Day 7 if drive to Kenmare, Day 8 is Beara and Day 9 is any of those choices.....

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another Itinerary try

What's day 14? You don't need 2 days in Glenariff Forest Park.

NY
Level Contributor
101 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another Itinerary try

Day 14 will be driving to Glernariff stopping along the coast and taking our time to explore the Glen of Antrim.. The next day will be hiking Glenariff and exploring the towns around that area.

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
742 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another Itinerary try

Just to pick up on one piece: "From your recommendation of seeing all of the Killarney area on the day driving to Kenmare, how would we work this? Should we take a tour or is this something we could do on our own and if so what would be the best order and way to go? Im assuming we will be leaving Dingle around 8 30 or 9 am."

You have no problem with this trip as a full day on your own. Killarney National Park can be successfully enough engaged with the Dingle/Kenmare trip factored into the day.

One problem with your great research and desire: Are you operating on the theory that an ever moving target is harder to hit?

There are many threads on Killarney National Park highlights and itinerary under various TA forums, County Kerry and the park itself, here as well as all over the internet.

Edited: 17 August 2013, 01:44
8. Re: Another Itinerary try

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2014, 05:17