We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New plan need advise (sorry if this is a repost)

Chicago
Level Contributor
35 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
New plan need advise (sorry if this is a repost)

My original plan didn't work out (didn't know how to edit my original post)...here is my new itinerary and this is for first week in Sept...thx for help in fine tuning this....and yes I KNOW its too short of time but hey its all we could do this time.

New plan please help fine tune!

1) Day 1; Arrive 5 am ish into Dublin, grab car and head immediately to Kilkenny. Spend day 1 and night 1 in Kilkenny. Plan is the entire day seeing stuff in and around Kilkenny. Staying the night at Rosquil House B&B

2) Day 2:: head to Kilarney (still debating on Kenmare or Killarney). Stop in Cashel and see the sites. Have 2 nights planned in the Kilarney/Kenmare area but have not pinned down a B&B yet. Also trying to figure out how to stay a night in Dingle. So we'll 2 nights and 2 days in this area. Need recommendations here.

3) Day/night 4: my wife wants to stay at a "castle". I know touristy Americans! So I have a reservation at Ballyseede for this night; we are strongly thinking of the Hawk Walk....we'll never do that again!

4) Day 5: Open, either head back to Dublin or stay in this area, or possibly head up to the Cliffs (I know that will be very rushed). Day 5 night could be anywhere

5) Day 6: Saturday and last night in Dublin, would like to be back in Dublin early on Day 6 so as to have full day in Dublin and the next morning.

6) Head back home on Sunday flight

Thx Again!!!!

1. Re: New plan need advise (sorry if this is a repost)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 23 July 2013, 17:02
Edited: 23 July 2013, 17:02
Westchester County...
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
745 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New plan need advise (sorry if this is a repost)

In a relatively short trip, I wouldn't spend so much time in Dublin. You can always come back for more. I'd book in Dublin and out of Shannon for sure with one or two overnights and out early at most there in any case.

Kilkenny, for me, is a fine stop for a day and overnight, then on to Kenmare over Killarney, unless you don't mind classically touristy hawking for advantage of slightly more proximity. Assume you will see the great National Park there and Ring of Kerry. (You could alternately consider Kilorglin or Kells rather than two nights in the one b&b.

Another twist? Kells would get you both the ring and Dingle access, or you could do one and one in each as well.) Youll have to decide between Cashel and Killarney National Park or this is too rushed. I'd skip Cashel as drive time issue relative to the rest I'm suggesting, but this isn't my trip, and your decisions should be comfortable to your vision.

If you were to split them up, a good place in Dingle is Pax House. Check their website and TA recommendations for further info and great reviews.

Killarney and Dingle are not precisely one area as you've envisioned (more fairly proximate). Overall, you've got to watch out for too much driving around (car time) and backtracking is best avoided or kept minimal. I tried to keep this flexible in terms of ideas and left a couple of your days out entirely from my focus. With that strategy, probably I was wishing you'd consider two day around the Cliffs and Burren area with many fine villages to day hop nearby, but that would be taking over your whole trip, so I'll back off a bit. ;)

There will be other opinions on that score to compare. The assumption is you are driving after Dublin in all suggestions to be plausible, and again in any case, a Shannon Airport exit would help a great deal over doubling up on Dublin.

There are castle like options available in this week's geographical range but I'll leave that to your research and others, as I'm not keen on or overly familiar with staying in castles.

Ireland
Level Contributor
50 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New plan need advise (sorry if this is a repost)

Ok so here are my comments:

Day 1 - Kilkenny. You'll get from Dublin to KK pretty fast at that hour of the morning, since it's solid motorway from the airport all the way to KK (probably 1 hour 30 mins from the airport) so you'll have a full day in KK to enjoy. Make sure you visit the Castle in KK!

Day 2 - Kerry. Hmmm if choosing between the two and presumably it's your first time in Ireland, I'd say go for Kilarney. As I said in the other thread, the Ring of Kerry is the major tourist hotspot in Ireland and really shouldn't be missed! Kenmare is beautiful too but if you have to choose, I'd choose Killarney. There's so much to do in Killarney and it's a really lovely town.

I think if you're short of time, Dingle can be missed. Go to Co. Clare instead to see the Cliffs of Moher, Bunratty Castle, Ailwee Caves, etc. Stop off in Adare on the way up towards Shannon as it's a beautiful town. I think it's the most beautiful town in Ireland - it is so pretty.

The drive from Shannon to Dublin is nothing major - it'll probably take you less than 2 hours 30 mins or so to get from Shannon to Dublin city centre, so you could stay in Co. Clare on the night of Day 5 and then head up to Dublin early the next day - are you staying at the Conrad in Dublin? If so, you can park the car at the Conrad and get around by foot / bus / taxi as the Conrad is just off Stephen's Green which is close to everything.

Edit: just read the previous reply - I would agree with trying to spend a bit of time in the Burren / West Clare area. In fact, I'd just skip Kilkenny altogether and go straight from Dublin to Shannon, and spend the first couple of days there. The ideal thing would be to start in Dublin and fly out of Shannon or vice versa, rather than having to do a roundtrip to Dublin ... you'd save a lot of time that way.

Edited: 23 July 2013, 17:31
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,048 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New plan need advise (sorry if this is a repost)

You can drive round Dingle between Killarney/Kenmare and Ballysedee.. not sure why the general obsession with spending a night in Dingle town but if it is a must, then do that instead of Ballysedee.

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
745 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New plan need advise (sorry if this is a repost)

Hi windy city

You've got a smattering of varying options as a very solid start. Listen to all else that comes your way, research them and TA "Top questions on Ireland" section and written TA tourist (by towns, the subsets on sites, dining and accommodations) reviews a bit, get a solid book or two from the library, use youtube with sites and towns for visual impressions, sprinkle in your own ingredients and whatever you finally decide should do just fine.

One guideline: just don't try to do too much and keep the drive times condensed as possible.

Edited: 24 July 2013, 02:00
Chicago
Level Contributor
35 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New plan need advise (sorry if this is a repost)

Ok so my plan now (for this part of the trip) is to arrive Killarney around 3 or 4 pm after leisurely all day drive / touring from Kilkenney

Nice dinner and pubs that night in Killarney and next day stay out of the car as much as possible. So plan is to spend most of this day at the National park biking/hiking.

After the National Park (and staying away from long drives) can either spend second night in Killarney or head towards Dingle as the next day we would like to spend exploring around the Dingle Peninsula and Slea Head.

Should I spend the 2nd night in Killarney or move a little closer to Dingle Peninsula? Assuming exploring Dingle peninsula and Slea Head is basically an all day thing

Then the night after Slea Head / DP I basically want to position our self for spending the next day up at Loop Head Lighthouse area (take the ferry across and thru Kilkee). So might keep the plan to stay the night at BallySeede then get up early and go spend the day at Loop Head (which to me sounds better than the Cliffs of M)

How much time should I allow for exploring around LH?

As always thanks for advice

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,048 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New plan need advise (sorry if this is a repost)

It takes 4 hours for the tour bus from Dingle to do the peninsula tour. Much to the dismay of the DD's I generally recommend driving round the peninsula between Killarney and somewhere just north of the Shannon.

http://www.loophead.ie/

travelogueireland.com/clare_south_and_West.h…

Chicago
Level Contributor
35 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New plan need advise (sorry if this is a repost)

Thanks Tony! I am starting to like my latest plan more and more. For the first week in September do you think I can wing it regarding reservations? I figure the weather and the pace we end up with should be the final factor.

Speaking of weather what's the best source of info once we hit Killarney to check the forecast?

Thx again!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,048 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New plan need advise (sorry if this is a repost)

Winging it depends on many factors, A couple with no preconceived expectations can do it fine,, If you want "X" accommodation in tourist central centre then you will struggle. We use (or Chris uses) Metcheck but don't rely more than 3 days in front.

Chicago
Level Contributor
35 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New plan need advise (sorry if this is a repost)

So Tony, since I like your opinions and seem to relate to those. which route / stop over locations would you recommend AFTER having spent an evening in Killarney and the entire next day just kicking back in the National Park. The main goal being after that full day at the National Park wanting to do the DP and Loops Head the next day.

1) After the National Park (Killarney) head down to Dingle for the night so that will be the starting point the next morning

2) Stay second night in/near Killarney and in the morning head out early a.m. for the DP then to LH after that

3) Something else all together?