We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two weeks to go! Please review this itinerary

Albany NY
Level Contributor
8 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Two weeks to go! Please review this itinerary

We are a family of four, with 15 year old and 20 year old children. We will be driving ourselves. I am trying to minimize museums in favor of seeing the countryside and enjoying the culture and the people, because some members of our group are a little resistant to organized activities. I would welcome any comments, because I am still not sure what to do on the West Coast. Also would like to fit in Adare and possibly a Hawk walk, but don't know where. Here is the plan so far:

18/8: Arrive Dublin at 11:00. Aircoach bus or taxi to Buswells Hotel. Make our way to Croke Park stadium for hurling semifinals at 15:30. Find dinner somewhere and maybe walk Grafton Street, St. Stephen's Green and O'Connell Bridge after dinner.

19/8: Dublin City Bike Tour in the morning. Kilmanheim Gaol and Guinness Factory in afternoon. Traditional Irish Music Pub Crawl in evening.

20/8: Pick up rental car at Hertz South Circular Office. Drive two hours to Powerscourt. Lunch at Avoca Café, then drive Military Road over Sally Gap to Glendalough. Overnight in Kilkenny at Rosquil House. Maybe go to Kilkenny Castle.

21/8: One hour drive from Kilkenny to Rock of Cashel. Tour Rock of Cashel. OR drive to Myshall Ireland (according to my husband, 30 years ago there were many Nolans in that town, and he wants to find out if that is still the case. If we go to Myshall, I think we will have to skip Cashel.

Head to Kenmare, possibly stopping at Cahir Castle on the way. Overnight Kenmare (Need a place to stay there for two nights).

22/8: Muckross House and Ross Castle. Overnight Kenmare.

23/8: Drive two hours to Dingle. Bike the Dingle Penninsula. Overnight Pax House in Dingle.

24/8: More Dingle? Overnight Pax House in Dingle.

25/8: Take the Tarbert-Killimer car ferry on the way to the Cliffs of Moher, then Bunratty for the medieval banquet (late seating, so we will have all day to tour). Overnight Bunratty.

26/8: morning flight from Shannon.

What do you all think?

Clew Bay Bike Hire and Outdoor Day Adventures
Equipment Hire, Kayaking & Canoeing, Bike Tours
Mor Active Tours
Kayaking & Canoeing, Bike Tours, Climbing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours
Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,412 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two weeks to go! Please review this itinerary

Nolan is quite a common name all over Carlow and Kilkenny (Nolan Park is the name of the principal GAA ground in Kilkeny. There is very little to see in Myshall and personally I would not sacrifice Cashel to go there

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
747 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two weeks to go! Please review this itinerary

It seems you've done fine research and it comes through thoughtfully. I agree a second night in Pax House makes good sense as well. You might be able to research the family name and its potential for a visit from here with a few well placed calls.

Look up the other fine historic sites in Glendalough/Laragh, a beautiful area. nearby is the Vale of Avoca and the famous little (movie and Avoca Crafts) town. A good meal cab be had in either Glendalough/Laragh or Rathdrum (just before nearby Avoca) area. See TA under those towns for main three possibilities.

For Kenmare, I'd recommend Ashfield B&B. The proprietress is a most helpful lady and you can see it's rated number one (read the reviews therein as well) on TA for the town's B&B options. I trust you'll include a focus on the other fine aspects of Killarney National Park while there, easy to look up on TA or other particularly dedicated sites. I am assuming you've previously done the Ring of Kerry as it's not on your list. Otherwise consider it strongly, as it's very special to most who get near in the area. The Ring itself wants a full day for a comfortable pace, and for the National Park somewhat less can do.

You'll have choices with what seems a half day or more remaining : possibilities include the Burren and time for (up to) a couple of fine local villages in the Cliffs area or can head to the faux village and "period" pub in addition to the castle dinner at Bunratty, as per your inclination.

Best wishes for a fine trip to denizens of my state capital.

Edited: 02 August 2013, 15:49
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,353 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two weeks to go! Please review this itinerary

There are LOADS of Nolans in Myshall, it's a pity the great storyteller Jim Nolan has passed away.

http://www.myshalldrumphea.com/jim-nolan.htm

Many of his family are still in the area .

While Myshall isn't Cashel, there is a beautiful little church there and a lovely drive up Mount Leinster with views for miles .

www.myshalldrumphea.com/adelaide-church.htm

Carlow has lots to offer so please feel free to ask questions if you want.

www.myshalldrumphea.com/attractions.htm

Edited: 02 August 2013, 15:54
Albany NY
Level Contributor
8 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two weeks to go! Please review this itinerary

Thanks for your comments.

To Preglad, Regarding the Ring of Kerry, I have not been there before, but since we have limited time, I thought we would spend it in Dingle. How would you recommend we squeeze the best of the ROK in the time we have?

Soonas - I am inclined to agree with you on the trip to Myshall, but I am going to look into the links provided by HarveyIreland.

USA
Level Contributor
410 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two weeks to go! Please review this itinerary

In Killarney, I highly recommend a drive through Killarney National Park up to Ladies View - there's a lovely gift shop and cafe (amazing apple pie & ice cream and irish coffee!), not to mention beautiful views between the mountains overlooking various lakes of Killarney National Park - simply stunning! You could easily do this before/after Muckross House - just keep driving past Muchross House on N71 (I believe there will be signs toward to Kenmare to follow) and you'll drive up the mountain with many lovely stops with great views.

Also, if you have time to stop at Cahir, I recommend it - it was a really nice, well-kept castle! Plus Cahir town is very charming and worth a short visit :)

Enjoy!

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,202 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two weeks to go! Please review this itinerary

I will see you in Croke Park, mar :-)

I would advise you to get to the game as early as you can as there will be a big crowd and it would be a shame to miss any of the build up and excitement.

Before the senior game, Limerick will play Galway in the All Ireland Minor Semi-Final(under 18's). This game starts at 1.30 and the standard of hurling at this level is very good if you have time to watch any of it.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two weeks to go! Please review this itinerary

19/8 - you might be trying to get too much done. The bike tour probably starts at 10.00Am, and most likely will take about 3 hours. That brings you up to 1.00PM and then an hour for lunch - now 2.00PM. Kilmainham Gaol can only be seen by guided tour, and if you are lucky enough to get a tour as soon as you arrive, then allocate an hour. There is also a very interesting museum there, which is worth seeing, which could take an hour also. Add on 45 minutes to get there and back - that brings you up to 4.30/4.45PM, leaving insufficient time for the Guinness Storehouse. I think you should choose one or the other as your priority, and then if you have sufficient time, go see the other one.

20/8 - Just to let you know that Kilkenny Castle is more a stately home, rather than a castle in the accepted sense. Cahir Castle would be a much better example of a defensive castle, if that is what you want to see.

22/8 - Muckross House - your children might find that a bit boring, but Ross Castle is very interesting - a very different type of castle to Cahir Castle.

23/8 - 'Bike the Dingle penninsula'. If you manage to cycle as far as Dún Chaoin, it would be well worth visiting the Blasket Centre which is a fascinating heritage centre/museum that details Blasket Island life and the island community’s struggle for existence, their language and culture before it was finally evacuated in 1953.

Now if you do intend visiting Kilmainham Gaol €6, Kilkenny Castle €6, Rock of Cashel €6, Cahir Castle €3, Muckross House €7, Ross Castle €4 and Blasket Centre €4, or any combination where the total entrance fees will exceed €21 pp, then you should consider buying a Heritage Card €21 pp at the first site you visit, as you can then use this card to visit all the sites on your list and any other sites under the control of the OPW - heritageireland.ie/en/…d.en.974

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Two weeks to go! Please review this itinerary

From Glendalough take the R756 over the Wicklow Gap to Hollywood [we have one too!] and turn left onto the N81. Stay on the N81. After the vollage of Ballon watch for the L2023 which in turn merges with the R724 into Myshall. If you miss the "L" road you can turn right onto the R724 at Kildavin. From Myshall the R724 will take you into Bagenalstown where you take the R448 which leads to the M9 and its a short run from there to Kilkenny.

The GAA stadium in Kilkenny is Nowlan Park.

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
747 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Two weeks to go! Please review this itinerary

Whoa! Dublin to Powerscourt to Glendalough to Kilkenney in one day is NOT going to happen unless you want a few snapshots on your camera only. I did say the ROK wants a day and Killarney National Park much of a second day. It seems you have some decisions to make relative to the limitations of your time frame.

That involves getting some serious personal research in to sort this all out for your own best choices and most suitable deletions. Good luck.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
27,006 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Two weeks to go! Please review this itinerary

This one might be nice for dinner in town.

www.oneillsbar.com