We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day 4 of 34

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,806 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Day 4 of 34

Started the day with a self-guided walking tour of O'Connell St in glorious sunshine. Visited St. Mary's Pro-Cathedral (nice enough, but we get bored easily in churches), the Garden of Remembrance (lovely and moving, but I don't know why one guide book recommended spending an hour there), Hugh Lane Gallery (great building, and the Bacon studio was fascinating), and the Dublin Writers Museum (more interesting that I expected).

Had a good lunch at M&L Chinese (attractive, reasonable, tasty), then took the Luas for a few stops to save our legs. Visited St. Patrick's Cathedral (definitely worth it for the history) and the Marsh Library (doesn't warrant a long visit, but very interesting).

More leg preserving--walked up to High St and got the bus to Kilmainham Gaol. Got there at 3:30 and barely made the cut for the 4:20 tour. After waiting in line for a while, we spent the rest of our time in the museum, which was excellent. After only using it twice, we are already half way to saving the cost of the Heritage Card.

Took the bus back to the Guinness Storehouse. We were surprised that we enjoyed it as much as we did--thought it was quite well done. And the views from the Gravity Bar were spectacular--especially with a double rainbow!

We danced among the raindrops a bit during the afternoon, but nothing that required more than our hooded rain jackets--umbrellas not necessary. By the time we took the Luas from Guinness to our apartment (it's about 100' feet from a stop), it was 8:30 and we were too tired to go to a restaurant. Got some take away from Nando's, which was quite good.

Our time in Dublin is over--tomorrow morning we get our rental car (all insurance included) and move on to the next phase of our adventure.

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,228 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day 4 of 34

Thanks for posting again, Andee. I enjoyed the Guinness Storehouse myself even though a lot of people find it touristy. It's great that ye fitted in so much in your few days in Dublin.

Good luck on your travels and hope the driving goes well. It was a good idea to wait til Saturday to move out on the road, as Friday Bank Holiday traffic can be crazy.

Look forward to the rest of your posts.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,440 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day 4 of 34

Love your postings Andee! I hope you continue to have a very wonderful trip and am looking forward to reading about all of your days!

P.S., we too very much enjoyed Guinness Storehouse and spent quite a long time at the Gravity bar enjoying the view on a cold March Sunday morning!

Edited: 02 August 2013, 21:45
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,806 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day 4 of 34

Thanks!

akandal, my son used to go to Space Camp in Huntsville, and we spent a few days there once because he wanted us to attend his "graduation". Such an interesting mix of history and technology.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,543 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day 4 of 34

G0d Almighty - are you here for 34 days???? Lucky ducks.

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day 4 of 34

Andee - Enjoyed your Dublin posts very much. Husband and I arrive in DUB on 9/2 and are hoping to see all of the museums, churches and galleries you visited. Glad to see your reports on these locations. We were going to skip the Guinness plant but, after reading your post, I think we'll put it back on our list! Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,806 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day 4 of 34

Bryno, yes, we do feel very lucky to be here for 34 days.

Glad people are enjoying the reports.

The only things on my list that we didn't get to (ran out of steam) were St. Audoen's Church and Iveagh Gardens. The only place we visited that I would have skipped was St. Mary's Pro-Cathedral; we tend to get to "seen one church, seem then all" quicker than other people. DH might have skipped Newman House.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Day 4 of 34

As you take your leave from Dublin, may I add my thanks for your most enjoyable read.

And to think we have another 30 days to go.

Bring it on, I say!

Good morning weatherwise (so far) for heading off in your new car and the new chapter of your trip.

Safe driving :-)

Edited: 03 August 2013, 07:26
Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,515 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day 4 of 34

Looking forward to hearing your car hire experiences (all insurance included).

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,806 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day 4 of 34

We chose to rent from Hertz because they were the cheapest of the 3 (I think) agencies that rent in both Ireland & Northern Ireland. We picked up the car in Dublin (as opposed to at the airport) because it is south of where we were staying and we were headed south. It was less than a 10 minute drive and around 9 Euro taxi fare.

Hertz had told us they open at 9; we got there a few minutes before 9 because we weren't exactly sure how long checking out would take (10 seconds) and if the cab would get there on time (it was early). Hertz was open, and there was already another customer there. They had several staff people on duty, so we didn't wait at all. Renting the car took about 10 minutes.

We did debate a bit about the super CDW; we're paying 420 Euro for 2500 Euro in coverage--so considered taking the risk, but decided against it. It's costly, but peace of mind was worth it for us.

DH is comfortable driving on the left, as he's done it a number of times before. Early on, he had a tendency to hug the left side of the road too much; I think it was because he wanted to avoid oncoming traffic. That got better as the day went on.

So far, so good!

10. Re: Day 4 of 34

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2014, 05:18