We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road signs and addresses

Tennessee
Level Contributor
288 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Road signs and addresses

A friend of mine who has been to Ireland told me that there aren't a lot of road signs in Ireland, particularly off the main motorways. Also, she said that she was informed that the reason for this was because many rural road signs are stolen by tourists. I was relieved that we have a GPS for our drive, however she said that addresses (house numbers, as in the USA) are practically nonexistent in Ireland. Not sure how we will put our destination into the GPS without an actual address of the places we'll be going to. Any advice on this from people who have used their GPS in Ireland?

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,515 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Road signs and addresses

Poor signage to places that don't exist perhaps or signs not in English is the usual complaint. In this part of the country signs are either damaged, dirty or hidden in the bushes.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,236 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Road signs and addresses

Don't go looking for Ballymore in Longford it is four miles on your left then four miles on your left when you reach there you turn 4 miles on your left and then 4 miles on your left. The basic idea is that you don't start from that starting point as you will end up back where you started and if you get lost ask a tourist cause they are the ones with the maps and gps.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Road signs and addresses

"if you get lost, ask a tourist cause they are the ones with the maps and gps"

Wrappido - that's the best line I've ever read on TA!

Priceless! Thanks for making me laugh. I enjoyed that!

Tennessee
Level Contributor
288 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Road signs and addresses

We are staying in B&Bs which I would think are private homes. I suppose I'll just contact the owners of each one for detailed directions.

Oceanside,Ca
Level Contributor
107 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Road signs and addresses

Just visiting in June, and needing to find places without addresses, I found the GPS helpful even without an address. If you can find a location nearby to your destination, that's usually good enough to get you close enough to muddle your way through.

I found the GPS often didn't play well with the roundabouts, often giving me the incorrect 'exit" number . That may have just been a failing of my particular model.

Larry

Tennessee
Level Contributor
288 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Road signs and addresses

Thanks Larry. I hope ours works for us also. 3 of the places we're staying at are rural (one extremely rural farmhouse). The only way I have heard the farmhouse described is that it lies between 2 small villages.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Road signs and addresses

We have just returned from our trip to Ireland. Ten days of it were spent driving the west coast from Sligo to Kenmare. Our experience was, our Garmin GPS was right about 80% of the time. The other 20%, it wasn't necessarily wrong, but just wanted to triangulate and take us to our destination through "off the beaten path" paths where goats would fear to tread. We never did figure out how to have the GPS just keep us on just well travelled roads, but most of the time it wasn't a problem. I had purchased the Road Ordnance Survey maps of Ireland as backup, but I don't think we ever used it. My navigator wife was content to use the Map of Ireland given to us at Hertz car rental office. Between the GPS and map, we were never lost (or at least not for long). We did get into the habit of referencing GPS with the map just to be sure we were going in the right direction. As far as road signs, as someone else mentioned, there were always lots at road junctions - usually so many that you would have to pull over for a moment in order to read them all. We hope you enjoy your trip as much as we did.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,236 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Road signs and addresses

One can never get lost in Ireland anymore as we now have so many taxis you can find one on every corner.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,364 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Road signs and addresses

Our corner must be 12 miles away then, that's the nearest taxi. and bus stop come to that.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,711 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Road signs and addresses

I used a gps for the craic once or twice and found myself miles and miles off the "right" road, on something akin to a forestry track, where even I thought my car would never climb out of the potholes(and my car sees lots, I like the roads with grass down the middle for a bit of variety)