We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 days in Ireland

Birmingham, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
7 days in Ireland

Hi, I want to take my mum to Ireland It's her dream but I don't know cities and attractions. I'm 21 and she is in mid 40s. We don't have car so we can travel by Train or Coach. My plan is to stay 7 days in the second half of august. I haven't book hotel and train yet so if anyone with experience can help me would be great.

Level Contributor
58 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 days in Ireland

Hi, To get a better idea of what areas you should go can you answer these questions;

Does your mum have Irish ancestry in a particular region?

What aspects of the country attracts your mum? Rugged landscapes / coast / ruins / culture / music??

New York
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
838 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 days in Ireland

Macy, sounds great and best wishes for a fine time. I feel the best thing you can do is start off by going through the "Top questions on Ireland" section just here on the right. Begin to decide what you most want to do in a realistic week with no car. Is a tour best for you under those circumstances or do you like another option better?

The forum key questions followed by search option with your own key words and places in mind will help you tremendously to get some general ideas. Return here then with more precise questions for clarification. All the best.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 days in Ireland

Unless there is a particular location which your mum wants to visit, maybe have a mooch through the forums and pick a couple of cities/ towns to base yourself in, with day trips from those locations. Dublin and either Galway or Killarney would work well, lots to see and plenty of nice day trips from these locations and you can travel between them on trains/buses. Come back when you have a rough idea of what you'd like to see and you will get lots of suggestions for accommodation and things to do.

Birmingham, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 days in Ireland

No my mum doesn't have any ancestry in Ireland. She loves landscape, culture and music.

Edited: 05 August 2013, 20:30
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,907 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 days in Ireland

Bit short notice to be booking flights but you have a lot of options for arrival and departure airports. If Rail and Sail you have to start on the East coast but there are good transport options.

Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,543 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 days in Ireland

Suggest that you bring your mum to Derry (UK 2013 City of Culture) and you won't even have to change currency: www.derryvisitor.com

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 days in Ireland

Suggest you look at a "quarter" of the country given the time limit of your visit - South East [Dublin/Wexford coast and Wicklow Hills] : South West [Cork and/or Kerry]; West: Galway [incl Cliffs of M, Connemara and Mayo] : North East [Sligo - Years Country and Donegal] : North East [Meath - Brú na Boinne & Louth] : Midlands [Shannon Lakes, Athlone & Clonmacnoise] or Northern Ireland [Derry, Belfast ; Antrim Glens & Coast].

8. Re: 7 days in Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2014, 06:18
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now