We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day 8 of 34

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,324 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Day 8 of 34

Drove to New Ross to see the Dunbrody Emigrant Ship. Got there just as they opened at 9; was not amused to find out that the first tour left at 9:45. They sort of offered to give us an earlier tour, but seriously discouraged us from doing that because the "emigrants" wouldn't be there yet and we'd have a seriously diminished experience. So we watched the 10 minute video, spent about 10 minutes in the "Irish American Hall of Fame" and stood around.

The guide actually made it more difficult to listen to the interesting recordings along the way, and practically the 1st thing he did was deposit the group at a 5 minute video. The emigrants definitely weren't worth the wait, although we, overall, thought the ship and museum were definitely worth the time and money. The staff were so off on how long the tour takes that DH had to leave during it to plug the meter. Although some of this negatively colored our time there, we really did think parts of it were very well done.

We picked up picnic fixings from the Nutshell Café (the assorted salads we chose were delicious) and set out for the Kennedy Homestead. We messed up the directions and were well past it on the way to Waterford before we realized it. I am definitely NOT one of those people who thinks getting lost is fun. We decided not to backtrack, and just continued on to Waterford.

We're spending 2 nights at the Granville Hotel. Our room was practically ready when we arrived around noon, so we were able to drop off our luggage--for which we were very appreciative. DH parked the car while I went up to the room with the bellman and the luggage. After he brought 3 suitcases into the room, I asked his name as I didn't have any cash and wanted to find him to give him a tip. "No, no, no" he said as he waved his hands at me and backed out of the room.

Tried to log on to their Wi-Fi network, but couldn't. Someone came up right away to help us, worked on it for about 20 minutes, then encouraged us to go about our day and she promised she'd have it working when we got back--which she did.

The hotel is lovely, and although our room isn't overly large, it has a desk, 2 comfy chairs, 2 luggage racks, and a small dresser. The bathroom has a magnifying mirror (I'm very nearsighted, so appreciate that) and a heated towel rack. Counter space next to the sink for the first time!

We found a bench by the water and ate our picnic lunch. Walked over to the TO to go on the 75 minute walking tour--very good, and reasonably priced at 7 Euro each. Decided not to do any more formal activities, just walked around, window shopping, looking at menus on my list, and enjoying the beautiful day. Dh liked having very little to do more than I do--feels like a waste of time to me

Back at the hotel, we brought our laptops into the bar and had a pint while we poked around on the internet and checked email. Rested in the room, and had dinner in Biancono, the hotel restaurant. It's light and bright--looks a little more like a breakfast/lunch place than a nice restaurant. I had found a special rate for the hotel that included one night's dinner, so we decided to use that tonight. We could order starter, main, and dessert from the "value" menu; coffee/tea included. The food was good enough, but nothing special.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
417 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day 8 of 34

Enjoying your reports. Glad I'm not the only one who sometimes worries about "wasting time" on vacation!

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,503 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day 8 of 34

Neat observation that it is the emigrants who don't show up on time - did you ever hear the expression - 'missed the boat'.

Edited: 08 August 2013, 12:30
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,026 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day 8 of 34

Pity you didn't find the Kennedy homestead , it was in easy reach of the Dunbrody and nicely done up. Glad you enjoyed Waterford though

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,324 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day 8 of 34

Please don't tell me that what I missed was good--that's just distressing.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,750 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day 8 of 34

It's a saying, you missed the boat, that's all.

I enjoyed reading that report too, I have visited New Ross, but didn't visit the ship, maybe next time as I will get over in 2014.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,503 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day 8 of 34

Like all sayings 'Missed the Boat' has its historic origins and fits nicely into the emigration story. From my own experiences the Irish were never noted for good time keeping anyway.

Edited: 08 August 2013, 16:37
7. Re: Day 8 of 34

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2014, 06:20