We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skip Belfast ??

new york
Level Contributor
179 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Skip Belfast ??

in light of recent riots , would you feel safe visiting Belfast ?

We were: specifically going up for a 2 day visit to do Black Cab tour and then day trip to GC

Arrive Ireland 9/1 from US,and were going directly up North

16 dy trip in Ireland. Any advice appreciated as we are now debating changing itinerary and skipping the North

thank you !

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skip Belfast ??

Sue, I would wait a couple of days before making a decision.

Firstly, last night's trouble was exceptional. It's the first time I remember a serious riot in the city centre in my lifetime. I honestly don't think it will be allowed to continue. Sometimes these things take a few days to quieten down but I honestly think they will throw resources at this because it happened in the city centre because that was where a controversial march was due to take place.

Secondly, I don't remember in recent times any visitor getting hurt in any "riot" in Belfast. You're far more likely to get hurt in a mugging in New York. Honestly.

Thirdly, the marching season ends on 31st August and even with that tens of marches (probably hundreds actually) do pass off peacefully. One or two seem to press all the wrong buttons with people and this is when things can get out of control.

Finally, as bobbyw says, the cab tour/black taxi drivers tend to be "in the know" and will not take you into any area if they felt it would be unsafe to do so.

The media images always are much, much worse than reality. Belfast has some of the friendliest people out there and 99.99% of people are totally disgusted by the behaviour of a few mindless thugs. These things happen at times all over the world - they happened in England last year, I was there when there were riots in Athens a couple of years ago...

Take a deep breath, relax and wait a couple of days before making the call. As I suggested on the other thread, you could instead stay up on the Causeway coast but that would be a very long drive straight off a plane.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
19,224 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skip Belfast ??

I wouldn't be put off by a few yobbos! I have travelled the north for many many years and have never been caught up in any incidents. these can be very localised, and you would not be allowed to go anywhere near an incident.

new york
Level Contributor
179 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skip Belfast ??

Thanks to you both!

I appreciate the info

We just wouldn't want to travel all that way if the black cab tour couldn't be done as that was our main reason for coming North

Will wait a few days to decide

Maynooth, Ireland
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skip Belfast ??

Avoid Belfast and anywhere that has more flags than people. Belfast is safe enough. You will know when trouble is brewing and can avoid being caught up in any riot. But why should tourists like you have to worry. Head for the Republic of Ireland where you will not have the nonsense of Northern Ireland bigotry and this is from someone who was born in NI and got the hell out of it.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Skip Belfast ??

Hello SueB

As a lover, and a frequent overnight visitor to Belfast I'd echo what Ponaire says. I spent an night there last December with my elderly mum in the "height" of that particular spate of trouble. You might have a look at this thread from the Belfast forum during that period. tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g186470-i491-k59887… where you will find lots of local, balanced information (and even one from me)

Don't do anything to rash. Sit back a while and see how things progress and make your decisions nearer the time. The small minority of mindless thugs do not represent the majority of wonderful people from, not only Belfast, but Northern Ireland in general. Actual fact, if you want to experieince real Irish Hospitality, you need to visit Northern Ireland. There is a genuine warmth and appreciation that is somehow lacking down South.

I do hope you do get to visit Belfast. It's one of my favourite places.

6. Re: Skip Belfast ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 August 2013, 18:35
7. Re: Skip Belfast ??

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2013, 21:14
8. Re: Skip Belfast ??

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

9. Re: Skip Belfast ??

10. Re: Skip Belfast ??