We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 Days in Ireland in September - Help with my itinerary!

Savage, Minnesota
Level Contributor
3 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
9 Days in Ireland in September - Help with my itinerary!

My wife and I will be spending 9 days in Ireland in September, arriving in Dublin on Sep 10 and leaving Dublin on Sep 18. We're trying to be good about not cramming too much in but definitely want to take advantage of our time. Here's what we have so far - I'd love to get some feedback on whether or not this will work and what we might be missing. Critique away!

Day 1 - Kilkenny

- See Kilkenny Castle

Day 2 - Dingle

- Stop at Rock of Cashel on our way to Dingle

- Sleep in Dingle

- We were originally going to go to Kinsale this night but didn't want to spread ourselves too thin - mistake? We're both foodies so it's been a hard decision. Probably too far to drive through on our way to Dingle, right?

Day 3 - Dingle

- Explore the peninsula and do some horseback riding with Dingle Horse Riding.

- Sleep in Dingle

Day 4 - Galway

- Check out the Cliffs of Moher and the Burren on our way to Galway

- Sleep in Galway

Day 5 - Aran Islands

- Sleep in Galway

Day 6 - Connemarra to Dublin

- This is my biggest question mark. I think it will be too much driving, but we want to see Connemarra and make sure we have enough time in Dublin? I've thought about staying the night at Ashford Castle instead of Dublin and then heading and only staying 2 nights in Dublin. What's the better decision?

Day 7 - Dublin

- Trinity College, Books of Kells, Temple Bar

Day 8 - Dublin

- Guiness Storehouse, Kilmainhaim Gaol, Dublin Castle

Day 9 - Dublin

- Morning in Dublin, flying out in the afternoon

Too little? Too much?? We don't want to break the bank, but we're willing to spend some money to make the trip memorable. For example, I've been looking at staying in a cool castle, but haven't found one that necessarily fits with our path (at least not one that is "authentic" - like a true castle or manor). If anyone has any suggestions that would be great. We're looking at B&B for most of the trip, other than in Dublin where I have us at Buswells Hotel.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,442 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9 Days in Ireland in September - Help with my itinerary!

two days out of eight is plenty for Dublin...in fact i'd trade one of those days to spend time in Connemara.....most of the things you have on your to do list for Dublin can be seen in one full day....others may disagree....

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
858 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9 Days in Ireland in September - Help with my itinerary!

What is in Dingle and Galway that has you spending two nights in each? I don't want to sound disrespectful but people go to these places for no other reason than they're well known. Galway in my opinion is best suited to 20-30 somethings. I go there regularly for work and most Galwegians I know won't go near the "strip". A recent post asking for information on what to do in Galway with children received 2 answers, I was one of them.

Dublin is well worth 3 nights. Cork is also worth a visit. A night in either Limerick, Ennis, Lahinch, Ballyvaughan, Kinvara is recommended. Just my opinion of course.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,667 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 9 Days in Ireland in September - Help with my itinerary!

Not an expert by any means--today is day 17 of our one & only trip to Ireland. So far, the one place I could have skipped would be Cork.

Trinity College and the Book of Kells will take 3 hours, at most. Dublin Castle is easily walkable from there (be sure to visit the Chester Beatty Library)--you could see Christchurch Cathedral, too. That would not make for a jam packed day. Temple Bar could be part of your evening--bars & restaurants.

You could have almost another full day of sightseeing in Dublin if you planned to visit Kilmainham Gaol in the late afternoon and Guinness Storehouse after that--it's open until 7.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,230 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 9 Days in Ireland in September - Help with my itinerary!

If you're a foodie and in Dingle, there is no need to trek all the way to Kinsale. Dingle has a large number of fantastic restaurants. I'm a devout foodie and my favourite is Global Village - exquisite local produce brilliantly cooked

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,963 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 9 Days in Ireland in September - Help with my itinerary!

Am with Soonas, best of food to be had in Dingle.

Savage, Minnesota
Level Contributor
3 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 9 Days in Ireland in September - Help with my itinerary!

I thoroughly appreciate all of the feedback you guys have given so far - and I think I'm going to stick with my original plan of enjoying Connemara for the day and then trekking it to Dublin later that night. I also appreciate the bit about the food in Dingle - we'll definitely have to check out your suggestion. If you have any others, especially anywhere serving seafood, please let me know!

As for Galway, my ancestry takes me back here so I thought it would be fun to check out. It also provides a good base for the Aran Islands and Connemarra, with some semblance of restaurants and a nightlife. I'm 31, so will hopefully fit well with the "20-30 somethings"! : )

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,442 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 9 Days in Ireland in September - Help with my itinerary!

okey dokey, have a good time....

8. Re: 9 Days in Ireland in September - Help with my itinerary!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2014, 07:19