We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Ireland in late November to early December

Chicago
Level Contributor
16 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Ireland in late November to early December

Hello,

My husband and I will be visiting Ireland for 6 nights from the Nov 28th to Dec 4th. I have been researching and realized that there is a lot I want to see. With the short amount of time and shortened daylight during that time, we wanted to get the most out of our visit by visiting 3 cities and surroundings. We are interested in culture, nature and food/drink. I'm having difficulty deciding where I want to go, except that we will be spending 2 nights in Dublin. I would like to see the Cliffs of Moher and Dingle Peninsula, but also visit Cork and Blarney Stone/Castle. Is it feasible to see all of this in 4 nights? The other option my husband and I were considering was going North to Belfast. Any advice would be appreciated.

thank you.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,543 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Ireland in late November to early December

This is achievable:

Day 1 Dublin

Day 2 Dublin

Day 3 Clare (where you can visit the cliff of Moher and the Burren area)

Day 4 Dingle

Day 5 Cork/Blarney

Day 6 Dublin.

Yes, it is doable, but Belfast is not advisable this trip.

It will mean a new accommodation each night and because the days are short in November/December I recommend that you book your accommodations ahead.

Daylight begins at 08:13 and sunset is at 16:13 on 28th November, so your days will be shorter. Just be prepared for that.

Come back with further questions as they occur to you.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,145 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Ireland in late November to early December

I assume you have a car?

If you do, Bryno's itinerary is very doable.

If you don't, I would suggest staying closer to Dublin, seeing the scenery in Wicklow when you want to get out into the natural environment and doing a day trip to Cork by train for Cork City and Blarney.

Chicago
Level Contributor
16 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Ireland in late November to early December

Thank you so much.

We will be renting a car.

Do you have any recommendations on where to stay in Clare?

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
754 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Ireland in late November to early December

You could fit (Glendalough/Laragh Wicklow day nicely WITH a Powerscourt Gardens in the am) early departure out of Dublin. I'd recommend a sleep at Bramble Rock B&B, though there are many other fine options as well for that night before heading west.

For Dingle, see TA very strong reco's for Pax House; for the Cliffs/Burren area, I'd recommend Fanore if you like a quiet and pretty seaside area: Orchid House. Both have their own websites as well as TA spots listed by town under accommodations. There are excellent things to see and do in a number of accessible local villages there. Consider two nights

If you prefer something other than Fanore, there's (among others) Lisdoonvarna, Ballyvaughan or Doolin itself, though it's hard to blow it with so many fine villages and things to do locally. TA has ratings, thorough recos with detailed comments from guests for all, with dining and key sites detailed similarly as well.

For myself, under such time restriction, I'd settle in more comfortably a bit here and there, kicking Cork and Blarney as well as Belfast etc for a later tour.

Edited: 13 August 2013, 20:58
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,331 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Ireland in late November to early December

Consider the Go Bus express direct to Cork from DUB. Saves driving day one and Blarney can be done by local bus. You can hire a car from Cork airport and aim out from there. Dingle then Ennis see the cliffs on the way to Galway before crossing back to Dublin. Personally I would head from Cork to Killarney then drive round Dingle on the way to Ennis.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,806 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Ireland in late November to early December

I am NOT an expert by any means, as today is only day 15 of our 34 day one and only trip to Ireland and Northern Ireland.

So far, if I had to eliminate one place, it would be Cork. Just didn't think the sighs were as interesting or well done as those in many other places.

Wenonah, New Jersey
Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Ireland in late November to early December

I am not an expert by any means, but I think your overextendind youselves. I have been to Ireland 3 times and my first was like your trip.I would ask yourself if you intend to come back. If you do I would drive less and see more.

Just a suggestion on a couple of itinearies.

1) Drive to galway for three nights and back to Dublin for three.

2) Gaway 2 nights. Kilkenny 2 nights and Dublin 2 nights.

Galway is a great base about 2.5 hrs. from Dublin airport. You can tour Cliffs and Burren from ther and if you stay for 3rd night. Drive through Connemara. Beautiful ( different but just as nice as Dingle)

2)Kilkenny is about 3 hrs. from galway and is a very nice town. You will skip Blarney castle, but you can see Rock of Cashel and Cahir Castle from Kilkenny easily in a day, or Glendalough. I think better options than Blarney. Kilkenny is less than 2 hrs. from airport.

I think you will see a lot more sights with a lot less driving and you can drop car off car at airport before going into dublin saving you a few bucks.

Good Luck

Will be in Chicago Labor day weekend to see Notre Dame-Temple and Phillies-Cubs game. First time to Chicago, can't wait.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,543 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Ireland in late November to early December

So, the Original poster (shivie28 ) has specified sites that she WANTS to see, so no point telling her that she won't have time to see them or to keep them for another trip.

That is the reason I have listed an itinerary for her including as many of those sights as she listed. It is not the perfect itinerary, and indeed, it is not an itinerary I would choose for myself as it is rather busy, but that's what she asked for.

shivie28 - for staying in County Clare. The most convenient accommodation location for Cliffs of Moher would be the village of Doolin - only one mile from the cliffs. It is not my favourite village in the world but it does have a wide variety of B&B's to suit all pockets. Just Google 'Accommodation Dooin' and if you see any that interest you then come back and ask questions about them here. If you would like a treat when in Clare then Gregans Castle Hotel is quite special. It's not a castle at all, but is an old manor house with excellent bedrooms, lovely gardens, a turf fire in reception to greet you, cosy bar and award winning restaurant. It is located a mile or so from the lovely village of Ballyvaughan on the infamous 'Corkscrew Hill'. It is not budget accommodation, but if you are looking for something a little special then it might be worth a 'few dollars more'!

www.gregans.ie

When visiting Blarney Castle, you can stay in the village of Blarney, however I recommend that you stay in Cork city where there are many more options for eating, drinking and Sleeping.

I can recommend Fernroyd House, or Garnish House, both on Western Road with easy access to Blarney Castle. (about 8 miles from those accommodations)

Edited: 14 August 2013, 07:17
Wenonah, New Jersey
Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Ireland in late November to early December

Bryno, my post was not to criticize your post.. I know your trying to be helpful. I was just trying to give them some suggestions that might make their trip a little less hectic. I have been to Ireland 3 times and used TA for the last two times.

I have adjusted my itineary on posts from people like you, tony2phones, soonas, etc. and I really appreciated it. Shivie28, have a great time. whatever you decide, you will have a enjoy youselves.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,543 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Ireland in late November to early December

M&B, thanks I know you weren't criticising me and I wasn't getting at anyone in particular, I just wanted to reiterate that the OP had very specific dates and locations and did not mention that she would be willing to add further days to her trip. Neither is she concerned about how busy they will be, and she did not ask for location suggestions.

In lots of forum posts the OP's do ask for other options in terms of duration and itinerary, in this case the OP was very specific. I thought it would help to keep it simple for the OP who only has 4 days after Dublin.