We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in Dalkey to visit Dublin?

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Stay in Dalkey to visit Dublin?

A little background info....We will be in the Dublin area for 3 nights, coming from Belfast on the first day (leaving Belfast early morning) and heading to the airport drop off family on the third day. We plan to do the HOHO on the first day we are there, seeing whatever sites we have time for. We plan to do a half-day (or however long it turns out) to Wicklow on the second day and go back to Dublin afterward, if the day in Wicklow ends relatively early. Their flight out of Dublin doesn't leave until 11.20am on the third day, so we wouldn't have to leave too early. We will have a car, but I know driving in Dublin is discouraged. We have found a beautiful sea-side self-catering apt on Dublin Bay, about a 10 minute walk to Dalkey. So my questions are...do we drive to the DART station in Dalkey and take that into the city (the website for our accommodation says it's about a 25 minute journey, but the DART website says 1 hour 7 minutes?) or drive to Dublin, and leave the car in a car park all day to save time by not taking the DART? I know the latter option, would probably be more pricey, but there would be 4 of us paying to take the DART, so I wasn't sure if that would almost be the same as a car park all day (the price for the DART RT journey Dalkey-Dublin wasn't coming up on their website). I am just concerned about wasting 2+ hrs a day of our precious Dublin time by using the DART and concerned that the DART doesn't run as late into the evenings as we would like to stay in Dublin. Or should we scratch the Dalkey idea entirely and just stay near or in the City Centre?

Here is the link the the apt we are considering, so you can see why I am so tempted to stay there!

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/762684

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
28,461 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay in Dalkey to visit Dublin?

I wouldn't stay that far out in the sticks if I were you.

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,260 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay in Dalkey to visit Dublin?

Have you used the journey planner on www.irishrail.ie to check the dart train times? This gives all the info you need. The journey from Dalkey to Pearse station in the city centre is 26mins and costs €2.80 each way. It is probably a bit cheaper if you buy a return ticket. You can also get out at Tara street station or Connolly station in the city centre. It runs every 15 mins until 11:30pm

I do agree that a more central location might be better

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay in Dalkey to visit Dublin?

Ah, my problem was that I was clicking on the "Dublin City Centre" station, rather than the Pearse station. The prices still aren't coming up for me, but it sounds like a more central location is a better idea anyway. Any suggestions? We are looking to spend around €200-250/night for 4 people. We were thinking we might prefer self-catering, as we will be in B&Bs the rest of our 3 week stay. This is the only location that we are staying that I am stumped on - I feel like I just keep looking at the same places over and over again and nothing is jumping out at me like the place on the bay did. I'm assuming Dundrum isn't a better location than Dalkey?

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,260 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay in Dalkey to visit Dublin?

You can check the fares here:

http://www.irishrail.ie/index.jsp?p=118&n=198

Dundrum would be a similar situation, it is 15 mins by light rail (luas) into the centre but is not at the coast. There are a number of central apartments for rent, have you looked at www.staydublin.com

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay in Dalkey to visit Dublin?

Oh, I see. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I was just doing the journey part with the times (buying tickets online section) and it said the online fares weren't available. But I see that I was looking in the wrong place! I did look at that website earlier today and even rang about the Millennium Walk, but then I read the reviews on here and it swayed me otherwise. Of course, the person I talked to on the phone assured me I would get exactly what I saw in the pictures...but the reviews on here didn't sound promising that that would be the case.

Dublin
Level Contributor
914 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay in Dalkey to visit Dublin?

Dalkey is a prima choice. I'd strongly recommend you stay out here. You will not be disappointed. Getting the DART in and out is no problem whatsoever, and in part is a lovely coastal journey. Consult real time travel . Actually, the nicest leg of that journey is the next stop after Dalkey to Killiney, Make sure though, to devote enough time in and around the Dalkey, Killiney Dun Laoghaire area as it really has so much to offer, with a stunning coast with lovely walks alongside. Great pubs and top-class restaurants, congestion and hassle free. Urban living at its finest.

You could drive into town, but parking in town is expensive enough and you are up against a ticking clock ratcheting up hourly charges. Return DART fares to Dublin for the 2 of you should come in around the €12.00 for the day.

journeyplanner.irishrail.ie/bin/query.exe/en

Edited: 14 August 2013, 08:09
Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,330 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay in Dalkey to visit Dublin?

Don't forget to drop down to Bullock Harbour to feed the seals Dalkey is a lovely place to stay and ideal for getting around.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stay in Dalkey to visit Dublin?

Hi fionaleigh15!

Dalkey - excellent choice.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-LZ4XMgijs and http://www.ilovedalkey.com/

As stated above the trip in is about 25 minutes with DART trains running all day from 5.30 [I've been on that one more than a few times] to 11.30pm every 15 minutes.

The car park in Dalkey Station is rather small and can fill up quickly - and there is a small charge so you are better walking to the DART.

9. Re: Stay in Dalkey to visit Dublin?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2014, 06:22