We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Killarney to Galway

Evansville, Indiana
Level Contributor
28 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Killarney to Galway

Daughter and I will have stayed in Killarney 3 nights at a B&B, some horseback riding and the Ring of Kerry and Dingle Peninsula. Would like to head North to Galway and wondering if we should try to spend one night in between....either in Limerick or Ennis. Any suggestions?

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,510 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Killarney to Galway

Mary,

There is no need to overnight on route. The journey is only 130 miles (travel time with no stops 3 hours). However you probably will want to stop at some point to stretch your legs or maybe take a few photos, so add another hour or 90 minutes to your travel time just in Case.

When I travel to Galway, I like to aim to stop at Morans on the Weir for lunch. A really lovely pub, with great food - lots of good fish dishes www.moransoystercottage.com

It's a left turn just after the village of Kilcolgan and I highly recommend it.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,764 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Killarney to Galway

While Limerick is an interesting city, you really don't need to stop off between Killarney and Galway.

Killarney to Limerick is about 90 minutes or so, maybe a bit more depending on traffic. And Limerick to Galway is only an hour or so, again maybe a little more if there is traffic.

Bunratty Castle is between Limerick and Galway and well worth a visit.

Adare Village is a nice place to stop off in www.adarevillage.com

If you do want to stay in Limerick, then the following may be of interest to you (they are all accessible from the city):

The Hunt Museum www.huntmuseum.com (free to visit on Sundays!!)

King John's Castle www.shannonheritage.com › Attractions

St, Mary's Cathedral www.cathedral.limerick.anglican.org

Thomond Park Interactive Rugby Museum www.thomondpark.ie/museum/index.php

Then out a bit further:

The National Self-Portrait Collection

The National Watercolour Collection

The Living Bridge - Ireland's longest Pedestrian Bridge.

All in the University of Limerick

www2.ul.ie/web/…The_Collections

ulf.ie/projects/the-pedestrian-living-bridge/

For Shopping, the Crescent Shopping Centre is excellent.

Then out a little further:

Adare Village www.adarevillage.com A lovely village - This is on the route from Killarney to Limerick.

Lough Gur www.loughgur.com

Palatine Museum, Rathkeale www.irishpalatines.org - This is just off the route from Killarney to Limerick.

Bunratty Castle (Co. Clare) shannonheritage.com/.../BunrattyCastleFolkPa…

Craggaunowen www.shannonheritage.com › Attractions › Craggaunowen

Castleconnell en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castleconnell

Clare Glens en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clare_Glens

Glenstal Abbey www.glenstal.org

Killaloe and Lough Derg www.discoverkillaloe.com

Birr www.birrcastle.com

Foynes Flying Boat and Irish Coffee Museum www.flyingboatmuseum.com - If you come from Killarney to Limerick via Listowel and the N69, you can visit this.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,048 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Killarney to Galway

I always say to split the trip between Killarney and Galway.. There is an awful lot to see between those two locations.. You can leave Killarney drive round Dingle and spend the night above Adare and below the Ennis - Lahinch line depending on how you cross the Shannon (named places included in that mix)

Massapequa, New York
Level Contributor
66 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Killarney to Galway

It is really personal preference whether you go direct or take a stop over night. I did the drive last week and made a day of it by side tracking to the Burren and the Cliffs of Moher. I realized before and even more during my 12 day jaunt that "you can't see everything" but also to plan to spend time exploring each location you stay in, don't just use them as a base for day trips. Galway is a wonderful place and has lots to offer. I'm already planning to spend more time there during my next(hopefully) visit.

5. Re: Killarney to Galway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2014, 05:18