We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Car Rental of the Future is here!

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,529 posts
Save Topic
The Car Rental of the Future is here!

.. at least, in the US.

Hertz unveiling a 'completely new car rental experience' at San Diego International Airport:

elliott.org/blog/…

Hertz stating that customers did not like the idea of before-and-after photographs of the rental car seems very puzzling; maybe, the fact that the car rental companies considered it too expensive to do, is the real reason:

Quote:

One item that won’t be making an appearance at the car rental location of the future is CRVIS, the system that photographs your car before and after the rental to check for damage. Frissora told me it was too expensive and that consumers didn’t like it. But he promised Hertz was working on new technologies to address the problem of documenting pre-existing damage.

End Quote.

Here's how the Car Rental Vehicle Inspection System (CRVIS) works:

elliott.org/blog/…

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,743 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Car Rental of the Future is here!

uasal, mmmm....how many customers do you think "don't" like the picture taking?....not any that I know of....goodness I take a shot of the car, all four sides, tires, the speedometer and fuel level at pick up and drop off....also, their new advanced systems sounds a lot more expensive than snapping a few digital shots.....

thanks for sharing this....sound like hertz is kind of delusional......

Edited: 16 August 2013, 17:35
Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
for Marco Island, Everglades National Park, Goodland
Level Contributor
3,891 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Car Rental of the Future is here!

How can a camera taking picture cost too much ... Amazing arrogance!!!

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,437 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Car Rental of the Future is here!

this is an IRELAND forum.

Ocean Shores...
Level Contributor
312 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Car Rental of the Future is here!

While this is "An Ireland Forum" thee number one problem for anyone wanting to do a self drive vacation in Ireland is the rental car debacle. I often wonder if Ireland would be over-run with tourists if they could somehow fix this problem.

rvflyer

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,437 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Car Rental of the Future is here!

no. the car rental"problem" is not a problem in Ireland, and is mainly attributable to incorrect details and non reading of the terms and conditions. the same "problems" exist in every country in the world. just check forums on other countries, and you will see the exact same complaints.

Canada
Level Contributor
141 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Car Rental of the Future is here!

I have already learned something from this post. Picture taking!

Note taking for any different marks and close examination while hopefully not in the rain was the plan when picking up our DD rental car.

Oma, thank you.

I want you to be my Gramma!

Oh yes....time to get back on track here... :)

We like to be honest and expect as much in return.

Edited: 17 August 2013, 17:39
Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,743 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Car Rental of the Future is here!

travedia consider yourself my 12th grandchild...you're welcome for the pic taking info.....I learned that from a friend of mine who almost got zapped for a dent in the bumper of her rental....she didn't set out to take the pic of the bumper but took what she called "one of those silly vacation shots"....after they got their luggage in the boot, she made her hubby stand still so she could take a picture and sure enough, there was that dent, and the office of the rental car company in the background.......it's had the time and date....wah lah, they didn't charge her.....

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,060 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: The Car Rental of the Future is here!

The only pics ever taken when we return a car hire car are the ones we take, I would love to feel secure in the knowledge that the company took such photos.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,529 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: The Car Rental of the Future is here!

And, apparently, it's a good idea to hold onto those before-and-after pictures of the rental car, for at least six months:

huffingtonpost.com/christopher-elliott/dont-…

And, this article from The Chicago Tribune from earlier this year, provides some enlightenment on how some car rental companies train their staff:

http://tinyurl.com/mvwxom5

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,743 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Car Rental of the Future is here!

wow, that's pretty scary.....