We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stop (B&B) between Dublin & Kilkenny???

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Topic
Best place to stop (B&B) between Dublin & Kilkenny???

OK - Looking for experienced guidance:

Day 1 we're touring from Enniskerry to Powerscourt, Glendalough and anything you might recommend along the way. Where to end up / stay is the question.

Day 2 we'll end in Kilkenny (that's the current plan anyway).

Question: Where after Glendalough would be best place to stay at B&B at end of Day 1? Anywhere along from Rathdrum to New Ross (or even up around Carlow) seems feasible, but I don't have any experience to know what's "nice", or how delayed we might want to be along the way (must see stops?). We're more interested in people/village/casual pleasantries than formal settings. This will be a stop over, not a tour base. Where would you recommend to be a nice place to spend the night/morning before heading towards Kilkenny. (we're not concerned about back-tracking so much if it takes us somewhere interesting)

Thanks, Dan

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,127 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to stop (B&B) between Dublin & Kilkenny???

From Glendalough, I'd head over the mountain- wonderful view and head to Hollywood, Baltinglass, Tullow and then either get on the motorway to Kilkenny or go the old road which brings you past Leighlinbrige, Paulstown and then Kilkenny.

Leighlinbridge might fit the bill, a pretty village on the river Barrow with a castle and an old style pub (Brennans on the Bridge.)The Lord Bagenal Inn is the choice of locals for food and also has rooms.

http://www.lordbagenal.com/

It is right in the centre of the village

At the edge of the village you could try http://www.rathvindenhouse.com/index.html

2. Re: Best place to stop (B&B) between Dublin & Kilkenny???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 16 August 2013, 18:51
Edited: 16 August 2013, 18:51
New York
Level Contributor
1,427 posts
836 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to stop (B&B) between Dublin & Kilkenny???

We're making the same trip out of Dublin with early stop at Powerscourt Gardens with light lunch there and w/o falls and on to Glendalough/Laragh staying in Bramble Rock B&B (helpful hostess and great TA reviews). We'll dine in Wicklow Heather Restaurant there or more probably Rathdrum's Bates Restaurant cum Cartoons Pub stop next door. The day specials in each will be a factor in deciding.

Next morning we pass easily accessed Rathdrum again and head but a few minutes just before Avoca at the lovely Vale (a short walk from roadside signs) before stopping in town. There's an option for those so inclined to hit the ancient yet chi chi Avoca mills either at Powerscourt shop or at source in (small and pretty as well as repeated classic movies/tv show site town) Avoca itself. Afterwards we're on to Kilkenny staying at Newlands Lodge B&B.

- Pretty much done all this at least once (and most of it more) before and had a grand time.

Edited: 16 August 2013, 18:55
New York
Level Contributor
1,427 posts
836 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to stop (B&B) between Dublin & Kilkenny???

Harvey

Just wanted you to know that I had an alternate rather less interesting route in mind for getting to Kilkenny but I'm headed after early breakfast from Laragh to Avoca. In my case, A) the initial diversion you suggested directly from Laragh (an extra 36 km) would then involve Laragh/Avoca/Hollywood/Batinglass rather than a more direct B) Avoca to Tullow, then on to the rest of your route.

in any case it seems I'd make Kilkenny for a lunch and full enough afternoon even with the longer route, which would suffice before settling in for a late dinner, pub stop and my b&b there.

I researched it as best I could from here this afternoon and prefer what I am seeing of your suggestions than my initial route. I only await your idea whether, given my Laragh Avoca leg more adventurous plan A or direct B route (minus 36 km) is worth the adventure in your estimation. If you'd go with A, I don't much care about the additional 36km as a factor. Thanks for your feedback.

Edited: 16 August 2013, 21:02
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,127 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to stop (B&B) between Dublin & Kilkenny???

Laragh Avoca goes on towards Tinahely and Shillelagh, more valley and river with some forests rather than very dramatic scenery.It will bring you by one of the last great stands of native Oak wood at Tomnafinnoge, near Shillelagh, from which the shillelagh sticks were made. You will also be very close to the ancient and almost totally unvisited Rathgall (Known locally as "The Ring of the Ra' )This is a huge hillside fort and there was even a sheebeen in the walls where poitin was brewed, the idea being that locals, hearing noise, would presume it was supernatural and keep well away!!

visitwicklow.ie/attractions/…

www.voicesfromthedawn.com/rathgall-hillfort/

http://www.megalithicireland.com/Rathgall.htm

I dragged my hen party up there to see in the dawn!! People sometimes don't realise how big the fort is,the outside boundary is actually part of the hedge by the road. From here it is possible to see the massive fort at Spinan's hill outside Baltinglass.(Rathcoran hillfort )It is thought that the hillforts existed in sight of each other and that warning fires were lit to alert "neighbours" at the next fort of impeding trouble. (Will also admit to dragging friends to the top of Spinan's hill for my birthday..in December..in a storm.. funny how friends tend to avoid mentioning historical sites to me any more)

Rathgall is also close to Rathwood, a great spot for food, some shopping, walk in the wood and is next door to a chocolate factory!

There's a falconry there as well.

http://www.rathwood.com/ThingsToDo.html

Sooo,will I tell you what's on the other route-do you see Kilkenny for lunch receding back over the hills...

New York
Level Contributor
1,427 posts
836 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to stop (B&B) between Dublin & Kilkenny???

Hmmmm! I'll look ALL these options over with considerable diligence and intrigue. One thing's for certain, Harvey. You'd make either a fine corporate marketing director or script consultant. I believe you could sell a tourist a bit of road rock as a rare severed chunk of Blarney stone. And as for when and where to lunch, I might well wind up too dizzy to eat. :)

7. Re: Best place to stop (B&B) between Dublin & Kilkenny???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2014, 05:18