We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Castle and coastal B&B accommodations

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
23 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Castle and coastal B&B accommodations

Hello, my husband and I are beginning to plan our first trip to Ireland for early September, 2014. We would like to do leisurely drives to enjoy the scenery and the history. B&Bs in picturesque fishing villages, as well as nice accommodations in historic castles are of particular interest to us. We do not have a set itinerary yet, so all suggestions are appreciated! Thank you

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,992 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Castle and coastal B&B accommodations

Many of the so called "castle" hotels are not castles at all and charge huge prices. Unless you plan on renting a real castle, I'd suggest Ballyseede near Tralee. it's a much a "castle" as Ashford and Dromoland

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,992 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Castle and coastal B&B accommodations

Oh and much cheaper .http://www.ballyseedecastle.com

Edited: 16 August 2013, 14:40
Westchester County...
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
741 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Castle and coastal B&B accommodations

For Cliffs of Moher/ Burren and surrounding inland towns area, I recommend coastal Fanore's Orchid House. For a spot between ROK/Killarney National Park and Dingle peninsula, you might consider coastal Kells Taobh Coille farm seaside B&B. Both are utterly charming with fine views and great helpful hosts.

Another excellent choice in Dingle is Pax House or for more austere coastal Dingle peninsula b&b options a fine site is www.dingle-peninsula.ie. The three I've mentioned by name are all reviewed with many glowing comments on TA found either under their own or appropriate village's name. Each has its own website as well.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
23 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Castle and coastal B&B accommodations

Thank you! I feel that I have some direction for making plans now! : )

Ajax, ON
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Castle and coastal B&B accommodations

If you're going toward the Cavan area, try this place. We stayed last week and it was fun. The proprietors are great and the food is fantastic.

http://www.ross-castle.com/en/

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
23 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Castle and coastal B&B accommodations

We're considering early September travel. What can we expect weather wise? Anything and everything?! We're from South Louisiana, so hopefully no hurricanes! 😊

Also, would travel at this time pose any problems with attractions being closed?

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,229 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Castle and coastal B&B accommodations

All attractions are still open in September. Weather can be very pleasant in September, but Irish weather is fuickle and you can get four seasons in a day. Hurricanes are quite rare, thankfully

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,962 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Castle and coastal B&B accommodations

Sometimes those East Coast hurricanes can bounce off the coast and ricochet over here. But its hard work crossing an ocean and they're usually pretty tired out by the time they get here so they don't do much damage.

I think its a lovely time of the year to visit here. Its generally still warmish and the days are still fairly long. Children and students and teachers are gone back to school so it will be less busy. Generally things in the tourism industry will be at a more relaxed pace at this time but those that shut down will not be shutting down until October or November.

Edited: 19 August 2013, 14:12
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
23 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Castle and coastal B&B accommodations

Thank you so much for the new information! I really appreciate it!

10. Re: Castle and coastal B&B accommodations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2014, 05:18