We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Killarney - non tourist restaurants/pubs

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
204 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Killarney - non tourist restaurants/pubs

We are spending two nights in Killarney next week (Sunday and Monday) at the recommendation of a close friend who has been to Ireland many times. My husband is reading Rick Steve's book. Rick seems to think Killarney is one big tourist trap. Can you make any reservations of restaurants and pubs that won't have the tourist flavor. I have to prove to my family that my decision to stay in Killarney was a good one. If it matters, our B&B is near the national park. Thanks much!

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,097 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Killarney - non tourist restaurants/pubs

I think you'll love killarney....as had been stated there are a good number of tourist there for a reason....the national park, torc falls, muckross house, the lakes of killareny, and it's the gateway to the ring of Kerry, some great shops.....do take the horse cart ride through the park if time allows, it's a delightful way to see it.....

Edited: 19 August 2013, 19:16
Westchester County...
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
742 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Killarney - non tourist restaurants/pubs

OK , oma, as helpful and absolutely informed as you are, it just seems you and I are destined to bunk heads just a bit occasionally, though not nearly as much as with one other of your colleagues with whom I strive perhaps a tad more than that party to maintain a tenuous and technically polite peace.

Once upon a time there was a lovely village surrounded by a breathtaking little kingdom nearly of the same name which inspired a lovely turalurin song, but along came a tribe of mercantile warlocks who transformed, over time, that spot into a bit of a belching bus depot with higher priced chi chi and lower end plastic tourist wares. And yes the lovely song still fuels the village's fame, and the breathtaking kingdom nearly of the same name deservedly and joyously is visited by many, but that's where the bit about their all living together happily ever after turns into a fairly tale.

Killarney is always going to be divided into two camps: the goers to and the avoiders of. On the plus side for many, it's proximate to goodies, proactive and varied in offerings, and bustling with convenient bus groups on set tour schedules. If that attracts some, it doesn't others. It is atypical of west coast villages infinitely more attractive to the second group who don't identify a piggybackin', piggybankin' town with either the song or the glorious nearby National Park which happens to share the same name.

Associating Killarney town, a somewhat natural correlation of the uninitiated, with the park is a little like associating butter with butterscotch or a run in one's silk stocking with a run for political office. And yes for even the other camp, Killarney town may have occasional charms within it, but it is far from itself "charming" by virtue of the very word's inherently defining characteristics.

As for the angularly facing gent in the cool hat's alleged and slightly cynical surprise that some tourists might not wish to find themselves by choice in an atmosphere surrounded by other tourists , need the counterpoint even be provided ? I for one, and feeling confident among many others, can never come to love Killarney but do Killarney National Park, despite the ferocity with which some pitch for the former and the illogic with which it is portrayed as contiguously extensive to or meritoriously associated with the other.

Even I, once a score or so, drop in on Killarney, just a moment or few, for the occasional distraction. No disrespect intended but some, as quite a few well know, occasionally do love to stir a good hornet's nest.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,097 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Killarney - non tourist restaurants/pubs

lol...preglad I am so sorry I read this through and I have no idea what the message was to be........

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
742 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Killarney - non tourist restaurants/pubs

That's ok, oma. I do play a character on a worldly stage here, as you can see.

Imagine how my wife feels! I have to pay her for occasional attention with time and a half on weekends and holidays. ;)

Edited: 20 August 2013, 02:47
Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Killarney - non tourist restaurants/pubs

Preglad for President I say!

I must admit I have gotten fond of the musings and when you peel back the layers and the (what I feel is) deliberate waffle, the content is very often accurate, informative and thought-provoking. A lot of what he says I agree with (when I can understand it!). Heck I have even started You-Tubing in preparation for our next trip!

I'm already looking forward to the Trip Report.

Oh, he's also given me the confidence to tackle Ulysses this winter.;-)

Sincerely though, Thank you Preglad for your continuing contributions, from someone who has grown fond of you, and who admittedly initially found you irritating to say the least ;-) First impressions count - but not always.

Edited: 20 August 2013, 07:36
Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Killarney - non tourist restaurants/pubs

Good man Preglad!

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
742 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Killarney - non tourist restaurants/pubs

I am humbled into a confession. Yes my gently exposed much stilted waffle is precisely that: a bit of silly theatre , a jive bombast in which, through postured indulgence, is struck a tease included of myself. Outed is a vagrant and in the process appreciative of Spiceloft and especially Little Pumpkin's kindness in reprieve.

There is a magic around so much of the Irish people and, though certainly not exclusively, the West Coast. I have for some long stretches repeatedly enjoyed gulps of life together in Clare, Kerry, Donegal, Mayo and Sligo. Alternately we have shared more than a few hairy moments in Belfast and Newry during troubled times, Included was one occasion when film was taken roadside from me at uniformed gunpoint. This preceded another similar event as I found a since lost friend on a ladder removing shrapnel from his roof shingles.This on a bright morning after others on his street and we were jolted in a most unwelcoming nocturnal alarm .

Ireland is absolutely a primary marker in a long life as traveler In some nearing thirty countries with but a core repeated frequently. There has been no more engaging a people in my experience anywhere. It is one of but five in a lifelong primetime list including Italy, the UK, France, and Iberia. Finally, my Irish American wife steps into the wonders of Europe for a first encounter involving hopefully many such adventures in her own and our life together, this fall in a perfect first taste called Ireland.

And now, following that brief interlude the stage again beckens ; once again is assumed the mask of soap and melodrama. ;)

Edited: 20 August 2013, 17:29
18. Re: Killarney - non tourist restaurants/pubs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2014, 07:20