We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are B&Bs thinning in numbers??

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Topic
Are B&Bs thinning in numbers??

I started researching our trip early this year. It seems like I've noticed fewer B&Bs available in some areas vs. what I see on line (residual listings for places that seem to have gone by the way). I also know that at least one proprietor of a B&B we've booked mentioned that in her town, several places are no longer operating.

Is that a trend & should we "pre-call" our list of B&B options we're taking with us to make sure they are all still there? I am an adventurous sort & typically wouldn't get too worried, but also don't want to be so fool hearty as to have us (& our friends) hung out w/o a place to stay for the night). Especially if I can ask the question here to get me better informed! :o)

Bottom line: Are there still plenty of places to choose from as we make our way around your beautiful country? We'll be going South from Dublin, across the south to Beara/Kerry, then along the west coast all the way to Donegal before a hasty retreat back to Dublin for flight home (4 weeks).

Thanks for the help.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
County Kerry
County Kerry
Province of Munster, Ireland
Ireland
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are B&Bs thinning in numbers??

What time of the year will you be visiting? I'm all for pre booking first and last nights and then I'd ring one place as you leave the last, so that when you get to the place, you won't waste time trying to find a bed. If your visits to places coincide with a festival, then I would prebook well in advance.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,858 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are B&Bs thinning in numbers??

It's a good question. There has not been anything on the media of late to suggest that B&B's are closing for good. It might be the time of year you are travelling. I estimate you will be here near end of Sep? The majoriy of B&B's do tend to stay open right to end of October as we have a bank holiday last weekend then. After that the smaller ones close for the winter until March

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Are B&Bs thinning in numbers??

Sorry, I should have mentioned, we'll be in Ireland from 27 August thru 24 Sept.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,858 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are B&Bs thinning in numbers??

That period is a busy one here, not for domestic visitors but certainly for overseas.

Better hotel room deals have been affecting B&B's over the past few years, maybe there are closures happening that are not obvious because of the size of the operations in question.

New York
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
845 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are B&Bs thinning in numbers??

Although I am traveling in low season this year, the list of B&B options open throughout my investigation of the south and west remained fairly strong. I think potential travelers may need to open their query to wider search options abundantly found on the internet, with TA an absolute primary resource. If Ireland ever begins to find its model b&b profile essentially diminished, I would selfishly hope it at least occurs well beyond my own personal history.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
12,071 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are B&Bs thinning in numbers??

As we've been driving around Ireland, there seem to be a zillion B&Bs--but maybe there used to be 2 zillion

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
59,225 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are B&Bs thinning in numbers??

There are far fewer than there used to be. The hotel building frenzy of a few years back didn't help things, and the demographics have changed. In other words, the ladies (mostly) who did it years ago are no longer doing it, and their offspring have mostly little interest in taking up the spatula.

Of course this is anecdotal, but where I had family members doing B&B in places like Connemara and Donegal a few years back, you would see 4-5 of the places up one road. Now you're lucky to see one.

Mentioned in this post
Connemara
Connemara
County Galway, Ireland
Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,908 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are B&Bs thinning in numbers??

Quite afew have closed between Dingle and Ventry over the last number of years, and I haven't noticed any new ones coming on stream. Still lots to choose from however

Mentioned in this post
Dingle
Dingle
Dingle Peninsula, Ireland
Ventry
Ventry
Dingle Peninsula, Ireland
County Dublin...
Level Contributor
30,040 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Are B&Bs thinning in numbers??

Quality rather than quantity perhaps.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,908 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are B&Bs thinning in numbers??

I know of at least a few where the owners retired, and closed the business as the children were not interested in taking over