We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 Days & 7 Nights in October

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
23 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
7 Days & 7 Nights in October

My wife and I are visiting Ireland from US (flying into Dublin, flying out of Dublin) the 2nd week of October. I've made a tentative itinerary, but would love feedback seeing as I've only used recommendations from TripAdvisor Attractions and this forum to guide my decisions thus far.

Day 1 - Dublin (arrive at 6:55am)

Day 2 - Dublin

Day 3 - Galway (via Irish Rail) - Cliffs of Moher!

Day 4 - Back to Dublin via Irish Rail (booked a Rural Pub Tour that leaves Dublin at 15:00 so we have to be back in the city for this)

Day 5 - Killarney (via Irish Rail) - Killarney National Park!

Day 6 - Cork / Cobh (via Irish Rail) - Blarney Castle & Heritage Centre in Cobh

Day 7 - Dublin - Howth and anything else we missed in Dublin

Day 8 - Depart Dublin at 9am

We want to get the best look at all of Ireland possible. We felt like this was a good mix of city and scenic. We wish we had more time but wife has limited vacation days from work. We considered Dingle and Connemara but they didn't make the final cut - mostly because of distance from Dublin "home base"... We will stay the night each night in the same city we spend that day in. We also opted for Irish Rail over rental car, mostly for opportunities to experience rail travel but also to avoid hassles of driving in a foreign country.

Are we crazy to think we can get all these things crammed into our itinerary? Did we miss anything we will regret?

We even went out and bought a new camera just to make sure we capture the essence of Ireland to bring back home with us. We can't wait, just more than 50 days!

Thanks in advance,

RN

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,026 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 Days & 7 Nights in October

How do you plan to get from say Galway to the Cliffs?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,809 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 Days & 7 Nights in October

I think this is totally unfeasible and I think your abiding memories of Ireland will be of the trains and the train stations and not the country itself.

I also think it will work out incredibly expensive.

If you're getting a train to Killarney from Dublin and leaving next day for Cork, and you don't have a car, how do you propose to see Killarney National Park? You won't be in Killarney early enough to take a tour.

Day 6: Killarney to Cork. Then Cork to Cobh. But then you've to get on the train, get back into Cork, then transfer from Kent Station to the Bus Station - no easy feat believe me. You will have to cross the river. AND THEN get a bus out to Blarney.

##We even went out and bought a new camera just to make sure we capture the essence of Ireland to bring back home with us.##

I don't mean to sound nasty but given your current plans, I could save you a lot of hassle, time and money by referring you to this website. You won't even have to come over to Ireland to see what you will see if you stick to your current itinerary http://eiretrains.com/

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
23 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 Days & 7 Nights in October

Hi Bean,

Thanks for your feedback. Based on your comments, would you recommend renting a car instead?

Wenonah, New Jersey
Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 Days & 7 Nights in October

Hey Ryan,

1st thing is bag the Pub Tour if you can. Any itineary we could com up with is being broken up by backtracking to Dublin. Any town your in has plenty of pubs and you could find a pub tour if need be.

I would really consider a car and spending a couple days in each town.

Day 1 and 2. Drive to Galway from airport. About a 2.5 hr. drive.

This would get you into Galway late morning. Day 1 you could explore Galway. Day2 - You could drive throuh Connemara or Ferry out to Aran Island for the day.

Day 3 and 4 . Drive to Killarney via the Cliffs of Moher. Day 4 do Killarney National Park.

Day 5 drive to Cork and visit Blarney castle. After visit drive to Dublin airport. Return car and stay in Dublin for nights 5,6,and 7.

Personally I would skip Cork area this time and spen an extra day in Killarney ( Ring Of Kerry, or Dingle Peninsula) or Galway.

Just suggestions. Good Luck.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
23 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 Days & 7 Nights in October

Thanks everyone,

We planned to go on the cliffs tour through Galway Tours, leaving from the city. Everything we had read up to this point indicated it would be wiser to take the train and/or bus rather than to rent a car, despite my skepticism otherwise.

In any case, we are going to try to do the pub tour on the last night to avoid backtracking to Dublin on Wednesday, which would give us an extra day elsewhere.

With 4 days available, how would you split up Galway/Killarney/Cork? 2 in Galway, 1 in Killarney, 1 in Cork? Or should we add Dingle in a day en route to Killarney?

Thanks!

Parlin, NJ
Level Contributor
135 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 Days & 7 Nights in October

You are starting to sound like me. We finally have an itinerary - at least until I change it. We are going to be in Ireland for 7 nights also. Day 1 and 2 in Dublin, day 3 in Kilkenny, day 4 in Kinsale, 2 in Galway and the last night in Dublin before coming back to NJ. I don't know if it's a good itinerary or if I will regret it. I didn't want to drive after going thru 3 time zones so we are spending the first 2 days in Dublin. Since this will be the first time my husband will be driving on the wrong side of the road, the first day driving will only be to Kilkenny and we arent going to Kerry at all. I'm not crazy about the Kinsale to Galway drive but I am tired of changing itineraries

I never thought of taking mass transit - I would have loved taking a train.

7. Re: 7 Days & 7 Nights in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2014, 05:19