We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thank-you to Ireland Destination Experts and Contributors

west bridgewater, ma
Level Contributor
26 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Thank-you to Ireland Destination Experts and Contributors

I have done my homework, and have shared your passion for every county in Ireland. All of you love a different area and I’ve found myself pulled into all the places that you love. Thank-you for that. I’ve listened to you and have read your expertise as you respond to specific posts. I don’t see TA as a travel guide, but rather a place where travelers can learn from locals or others with more experience. TA is often a “problem-solver” and at best offers travelers a world of opportunities.

Most of you have said to “do it the way of the Irish” and know what you want to do, be flexible; go with the flow, rent a car if possible, don’t over plan, and find home bases from which you can explore.

I have created my itinerary based what my travel partner and I want to see and do, how we want to travel from place to place and the time of year (October). Your experiences provided me with knowledge. Now I am going with what feels right for me and my travel partner.

Itinerary

Day 1: Galway

Day 2: Inis Mór (Inishmore)

Day 3: Cliffs of Moher & The Burren

Day 4: Dingle

Day 5: Ring of Kerry

Days 6 & 7: Cork

Days 8, 9, 10: Edinburgh

Days 11, 12, 13, 14: London

Days 15, 16 17: Dublin

Days: 18, 19, 20: Kilkenny

Yes, there is so more not apparent here where you have touched my soul and will help me every day as I visit your beautiful country and meet your fun-loving, poetic people.

Thank-you everyone!

1. Re: Thank-you to Ireland Destination Experts and Contributors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 02:15
County Dublin...
Level Contributor
27,387 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Thank-you to Ireland Destination Experts and Contributors

Three days in Kilkenny?

west bridgewater, ma
Level Contributor
26 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thank-you to Ireland Destination Experts and Contributors

The Kilkenny area is where my travel partner's ancestors are from. To clarify, it's not quite 3 days in Kilkenny proper. The first day will be split between Glendalough and Kilkenny; the 2nd we'll attend mass, then Cashel/Cahir or some alternative centered on relatives; and on the last day we will be traveling back to Dublin Airport.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,821 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thank-you to Ireland Destination Experts and Contributors

In our first 23 days (of a 34 day trip), two places I would have skipped are Inishmore and Cork City.

We spent an entire day in the Burren and especially loved Shane Connolly's 3 hour guided hike.

I'd add a day in Killarney National Park--we had one and could have spent two.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,547 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thank-you to Ireland Destination Experts and Contributors

Well done, nice itinerary. Glad to see you are in Cork for 2 days (ish). Do you need any specific help with Cork? (Things to do, accommodation, etc) Let me know, plenty of time before October.

Here is my Cork things to do - just in case you haven't seen it

tripadvisor.ie/Travel-g186600-s407/Cork:Irel…

Edited: 22 August 2013, 07:51
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,168 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thank-you to Ireland Destination Experts and Contributors

I agree with Andee. You'll see a certain amount on the Ring of Kerry trip but Killarney National Park is spectacular. Muckross House and Gardens are beautiful, Muckross Abbey is haunting, Torc Waterfall is fab after rain.

But its also being able to just walk by the lakes, listening to the birds and often the only other sound is of your own feet cracking twigs as you walk on them. Its watching the reflections in the lakes, smelling the different smells of the trees.

west bridgewater, ma
Level Contributor
26 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thank-you to Ireland Destination Experts and Contributors

I emailed Shane Connolly a few weeks back without success. He didn’t get back to me, and I imagined he was busy in October with weekend hikes.

My travel partner has expressed an interest in Inishmore over Connemara. I was impressed with my communications with Michael Faherty who describes himself as “a native from Aran knows every square inch of it.” His description of his 5 hour trip exploring the island sounds like a magical journey with a friend: kilmurvey village at the base of Dun Angus fort and cliffs, a 1hr return hike up to dun Angus fort and cliffs amazing , breathtaking 300ft above the Atlantic, a craft village with restaurants and heritage centre at the base, 7 churches, bungowala fishing village, Aran seal colony, kilronan village.

Bryno, Cork has been so influential in the town near Boston: Brockton, Massachusetts where I grew up. Cork has so much to offer in any kind of weather. I have studied Bryno’s list many times over with anticipation. Cobh is especially interesting to me. St. Colman’s Cathedral is where many Irish attended their last mass before saying good-bye to their native land and sailing to Boston. Once the Irish settled in Brockton, they built their own smaller model of the great cathedral and the priests from both churches often exchanged letters and shared stories at Sunday mass. All this made an impression upon me as a boy, and now I am spiritually moved to have the opportunity to visit the St Colman’s. I was told a Michael Martin will sometimes give a tour of the Cathedral but I haven’t been successful in contacting him. (If anyone has any information on how to contact Mr Martin, I’d appreciate that.)

Bryno, I have booked a room in the Fernroyd House. I thought you would be pleased to see that I am spending time in Cork. Each Destination Expert and TA poster has enticing descriptions, but I kept strong and haven’t been lured away from Cork no matter how strong the perfume from other counties.

Bean, I have enjoyed your poetic descriptions of the area you love so much. Would you recommend Kilarney National Park over the Ring of Kerry in October? I have time for one or the other.

Please forgive me if my tone is intimate; through reading over the course of years, I feel as if I know the Destination Experts and regular contributors here in the Ireland forum

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,168 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thank-you to Ireland Destination Experts and Contributors

##Bean, I have enjoyed your poetic descriptions of the area you love so much. Would you recommend Kilarney National Park over the Ring of Kerry in October? I have time for one or the other.##

I think if you are in a rush, you will get more out of seeing the National Park than you will the Ring. In October the trees will be turning. And because we've had some really hot weather here this year, the colours should be good.

The Ring of Kerry is often a dash between spots. If you give yourself a day to see a few things in the National Park, you will not just see them but feel them as well. Park the car in places such as Eagles Nest kevinlangan.ie/landscapephotographs/h4F0B117… and just walk along the shore. Sometimes you won't be able to walk too far but you'll get a feel of the place and the context of the place.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,073 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thank-you to Ireland Destination Experts and Contributors

moonriver good plan....how lovely to start your first full day on the arans...you'll love it...such a nice peaceful way to get an introduction to what Ireland has to offer....

it's wonderful that you're going to cobh, it is a great place to learn about the history of the irish during such a difficult time in their history....st colman's is amazing...I never see it without being in awe of something so beautifully built with out the use of construction equipment....

have a wonderful time....

west bridgewater, ma
Level Contributor
26 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thank-you to Ireland Destination Experts and Contributors

oma 14, i listened to all of you, and listened to my travel partner before setting anything in stone. i have definitely enjoyed the contributions of you and other Destination Experts as well as other travelers who generously offered their experiences, what they not only have seen, but more importantly what they have felt. I've enjoyed the entire process of learning and loving it, with the goal of experiencing the context of place.

For example, during the next few days I I have started already) I am going to seek more possibilities suggested by Bean A. I know Deros has several tour options from Kilarney, all very different. Which one will afford the most authentic feel of the place? My travel partner, too, has criteria different from my own and I enjoy respecting that difference.

Bean A included a link with a photography of Kevin Langan and a poem I had read when I was a young man. . The poem, inspired by Eagle's Nest, is Alfred Lord Tennyson's "The splendor falls on castle walls". When I read the poem my youth echoed within me and so did Eagle's Nest. I could imagine the splendor of the place and listen to echoes heard by other souls.

After seeing Kevin Langan's landscapes, Ireland became not only land, but water, mist, fog, & sky.

I am forced to question whether I am as prepared for my journey as I thought. I need to see more art and read more poetry.