We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days in Ireland in Dec. Need ideas please

Boston...
Level Contributor
161 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
10 days in Ireland in Dec. Need ideas please

Hello. My partner and I are wanting to spend 10 days in Ireland starting Dec. first for 10 days. Looking for someplace quiet, scenic but within walking distance to pubs, town, etc. as we will not be renting a car. We just want to relax and enjoy ourselves for 10 days in Ireland. Can fly into any airport in Ireland but need to access the area recommended by public transport. Any ideas? Thank you.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 days in Ireland in Dec. Need ideas please

Killiney.

The hotel is secluded in its own grounds with nearby access to Killiney Hill for scenic views across Dublin, the Wicklow mountains and seascapes. at that time of year if there is cold air and snow on the Welsh mountains, they can be seen also as can the Mournes, about 80 miles away in Northern Ireland.

The hotel is linked directly to Dublin Airport on the Aircoach. A local bus route [59] links the hotel with Dún Laoghaire and Dalkey. Dalkey is a short 10 minute walk and is a village with two castles on the main street one of which has a heritage centre. There are several good pubs and restaurants and lovely seaside walks. In Dalkey there is a DART station for local frequent trains to the City and other locations around Dublin Bay.

The hotel [Fitzpatricks Killiney Castle] has all the usual additions for relazation, spa, gym, swimming, etc.

Irish in...
Level Contributor
309 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 days in Ireland in Dec. Need ideas please

Kinsale would fit the bill. Renowned for its fine restaurants. Plenty pubs. Could do a day trip into Cork city. Or base yourselves in Cork, taking day trips to Kinsale, Cobh & Killarney.

Boston...
Level Contributor
161 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 days in Ireland in Dec. Need ideas please

Thanks. I'll take a look at your suggestions.

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
740 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 days in Ireland in Dec. Need ideas please

You need to do more research on this topic with TA a great place to start using the search box, forums and area headings. Once that is done , do an attractions search under towns within a potential target area or two factored by time restraints. As your question is posed, it's just too vague to get offerings other than shots in the dark from others who have no other than vague idea of your interests and inclinations.

Come back here with something of a clearer framework and you'll get sharp help.

Boston...
Level Contributor
161 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 days in Ireland in Dec. Need ideas please

Thanks preglad, but the reason I posted this message on TA was because I don't know enough about Ireland to begin a search. I've been reading the forum, I've looked at a map and I still don't have a clear cut idea about where to go in Ireland that would be good for a couple without a car and still enjoy what Ireland has to offer. It can be confusing. I've read that in order to see Ireland properly, we would need to rent a car. We're not comfortable with that. I've read not to go to Ireland in Dec., as the weather will be horrible. I'm okay with the weather as I live in Boston and it's not that great in Dec. either. So as you can see, this is why I posted the question. I understand it's rather vague, but this is all that I have to go on. Thank you.

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
740 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 days in Ireland in Dec. Need ideas please

Ok, someone in your circumstance thought this helpful recently so I'm forwarding it to you, as portions might be useful for options and perspective. It would need between nearly twelve days to two weeks minimally for all following Dublin. Use TA forums by specific topics you search and then look under towns and areas as well in the search box. See Youtube for up close peeks at all. Take books from the local library and or consider online discount books sites.

If starting from Dublin, one possible course among many might include your looking into days beyond this was, starting first with a few one nighters. Dublin to Gendalough with a stop at Powerscourt on the way. Next day Kilkenny, then one more solo night for Kinsale. There's lots of info on each of those single stops here on TA under each respective town's names.

Now longer stops then follow among the West's Coast many great options. Start with the Ring of Kerry and Killarney National Park as a two day idea. You could consider a base outside Killarney town in the park area (I prefer that to within the immediately bustling tourist zone), or split one between Kenmare /Kilorglin for a night each possibly.

Next I'd move up to the Dingle peninsula area for three night (at least two). There are many discussions on this area under Dingle and Dingle Peninsula here and on the broader internet. (This last idea applies to anywhere).

Now I'd give three days (no less than two) to the Cliffs of Moher/Burreen/Doolin trad music pubs, but I personally would base elsewhere for a half dozen local villages well worth some time during days there. Consider Coastal Fanore B&B Orchid House or some lovely inland villages stressed in TA discussions and the like. All have reviews about where to stay with ratings , and he same for dining and local sites under towns' names in the search box or internet. You'll be flooded with information and options.

If you have more than two weeks or want a substitute area for any of the above , the rest follows

We move up to Galway town then a west up and east back down loop with or with out an overnight involving the area around Westport. There's lots of stuff here and on the internet for both. Consider two or three area nights.

Now depending on your schedule and pace mode you have the glories of pristine beautiful County Donegal to consider as well. Do a solid area search. This is a two to three day affair as well. We've now got a minimally three week total package ofr beyond Dublin flying here from which to pick and choose possibilities.

Good luck. How this helps you begin to get a base of ideas. You'll see much of this repeated by a number of us as the West Coast has some incredibly beautiful prime settings generally needing a few days each. When ready with some personal effort accomplished, return with more specific questions for solid feedback.

7. Re: 10 days in Ireland in Dec. Need ideas please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2014, 06:22