We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day 25 of 34: Westport to Sligo

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,116 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Day 25 of 34: Westport to Sligo

Got to the Clew Bay Heritage Centre just as it was supposed to open at 10 and waited 35 minutes for someone to show up and open it. She said there was a lot of traffic and that usually three people are there so one of them is on time. The Museum is aspiring to mediocrity, but the woman gave a good talk about the history of Westport in front of a large model of the town,

Drove to Croagh Patrick to see the National Famine Memorial, which is in a lovely park, look at the photos in the Visitor Centre and walk up for about 5 minutes to admire the views.

Went to the National Museum of Country Life in Turlough Park--a beautiful setting and an excellent museum--definitely worth a couple of hours. Had a delicious lunch in Brambles Café there. The drive there and to Sligo was very pretty.

Drove to Sligo and checked into the very nice Iorras B&B. Beautiful large room, nice bathroom, lovely owners who greeted us with coffee and cakes.

Went to Strandhill to have a seaweed bath and steam at Voya's. A fun, if a bit odd, experience. Don't know that I would do it again, but enjoyed it once. Voya's wasn't as elegant and spa-like as I expected, but that may just have been bad expectations. Walked along the sidewalk above the beach--beautiful.

Drove into DT Sligo, walked around a bit, went to A Casa Mia for a tapas dinner. Pretty place; we liked sitting at the window and people watching. DH ordered a glass of Pinot Grigio that was so harsh and awful as to be undrinkable. In 46 years together, this is the first time I've ever seen him reject a glass of wine. The waiter offered to replace it, but definitely made it seem like it was us--"Different people have different tastes in wine; this is one of our most popular wines", etc. The food was very good, though.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,649 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day 25 of 34: Westport to Sligo

Hi Andee great to hear you have made your way up to Sligo. I love Strandhill - if you get out there again tomorrow try eating in Shells or call into The Strand for some nice food, great Guinness and a fantastic range of wine. The beach is clear of rocks at the moment and you can walk all the way to Cullenamore beach if you head south - golden sands and not many people about. I was there last week and it was like being on a desert island. Voya isn't at all fancy, but it is a unique experience. - how does your skin feel after the seaweed bath? So excited to hear more about your Sligo visit, hope you enjoy it!

KC, MO
Level Contributor
194 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day 25 of 34: Westport to Sligo

Glad to hear you liked the Museum of Country Life. Am considering thar as a stop on our drive from the Enniskillen area to Clifden.

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
3,856 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day 25 of 34: Westport to Sligo

The Famine memorial is impressive. Croagh Patrick is magical and the Museum is fantastic. So glad you agree! May is a gem.

Edited: 24 August 2013, 10:13
Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,698 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day 25 of 34: Westport to Sligo

I had a lovely chocolate cake at the Museum of Country life ;)

I also enjoyed visiting there, also was a bonus it was free :)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,116 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day 25 of 34: Westport to Sligo

What museum isn't improved by chocolate?

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,485 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day 25 of 34: Westport to Sligo

We will be over in the Sligo direction tomorrow (Sunday) for the open day at Rossinver Organic Centre. Definitely the place to be and get to watch celeb chefs cook up some lovely tomato dishes: www.theorganiccentre.ie

Edited: 24 August 2013, 19:31
Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,698 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day 25 of 34: Westport to Sligo

Well you have to have cake at least once on holiday don't you know ;)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,116 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day 25 of 34: Westport to Sligo

DH thinks it's ice cream that is a daily requirement--but not this trip, for some reason.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day 25 of 34: Westport to Sligo

I had some spare time at work last week and went out to Murrisk at the foot of Croagh Patrick but rather than climb I found a lovely beach which stretched out into the sea - Bertra - and took in the view from the end.

10. Re: Day 25 of 34: Westport to Sligo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2014, 06:20