We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southern Ireland Itinerary. Any Suggestions?

Abingdon, Maryland
2 posts
Save Topic
Southern Ireland Itinerary. Any Suggestions?

My family and I are traveling to Ireland for our first trip! I wanted to post my itinerary to see if anyone has any suggestions. We will be staying in a different place every night to try and see as much as we can. I'm not really looking for a relaxing vacation so I don't mind the traveling. Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions! I'm a little unsure of Day 7 when we drive from Dingle to Doolin to Galway.

Day 1 and Day 2 will be spent exploring and staying in Dublin

Day 3

Drive to Kilkenny through the Wicklow Mountains

Spend the night in Kilkenny

Day 4

Drive from Kilkenny to Cork

Explore and stay in Cork for the night

Day 5

Drive to Killarney - Ring of Kerry

Stay in Killarney

Day 6

Drive to Dingle and explore the Peninsula

Stay in Dingle

Day 7

Drive from Dingle to the Cliffs of Moher

Stop in McDermotts Pub

Drive to Galway

Stay in Galway that night

Day 8

Explore Galway all day

Drive to Ennis in the evening for our last night!

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Katy

Knocknarea
Mountains, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Croagh Patrick
Mountains, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
11,661 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Southern Ireland Itinerary. Any Suggestions?

We're in Ireland for 34 days (today is day 26). One of the few spots I could easily have left off the itinerary is Cork. We did a day of sightseeing there, but there was nothing wonderful.

I think that you've tried to pack way too much into such a short trip--you won't have time to enjoy much, just drive by.

quiggers
Level Contributor
21 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Southern Ireland Itinerary. Any Suggestions?

The City of Cork is OK,but I understand the comment above,it's still just another City.I expect howls of anger and derision,but that's my opinion.However south of the City is Kinsale,a small coastal town that is great for food and nightly entertainment.The Charles Fort at the edge of town is a good tourist visit.and the coastal route from here is great.I also agree you are stretching yourself in terms of getting everywhere.I live in Wicklow and would recommend Powerscourt House and Gardens as a visit en route.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
27,749 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Southern Ireland Itinerary. Any Suggestions?

Killarney is so much more than just a base for the Ring of Kerry. Muckross House and Gardens, Torc Waterfall, Muckross Abbey and the beautiful lakes are among the places here that it would be a shame to miss.

If it were a choice between the Ring of Kerry and seeing Muckross and the Killarney area attractions, I'd suggest seeing the latter. BUT the Ring of Kerry is lovely and the places "off" the Ring such as Valentia Island, Rossbeigh Beach, Skelligs Chocoaltes and St Finian's Bay, Ballinskelligs Bay and Derrynane House and Tropical Gardens are all fabulous and worth seeing.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,891 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Southern Ireland Itinerary. Any Suggestions?

what time of the year are you going?....hopefully it's during the part of the year that has long daylight hours or sadly you'll just be driving most of the time to get from a to b while it's still daylight.... with very little time to "see" anything.....

day 4 will be a really long day driving from cork to killarney, doing the ring, will be at least 8 hours of just driving.....i'll echo bean on all the things you'll miss by just blowing through, and the same goes for dingle.....

just something to consider, so you'll have some great memories instead of a tired bum.....

Abingdon, Maryland
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Southern Ireland Itinerary. Any Suggestions?

Thank you everyone for your wonderful suggestions! I will definitely be keeping these things in mind!

Katy

6. Re: Southern Ireland Itinerary. Any Suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2014, 05:17