We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Coffeemaker recommendation

Atascadero
Level Contributor
5 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Coffeemaker recommendation

My husband and I are traveling from California to Ireland and Northern Ireland in the Spring. I would like to bring my own coffee and a small, dual voltage, easy to pack and clean coffeemaker.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good travel coffeemaker? We will be staying in B&B's for the most part.

Thank you so much!

Florida
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Travel Coffeemaker recommendation

LOL as a true coffee lover, I would rather suck swamp water than have to drink instant coffee LOL I do what I do at home ...Drink Diet Coke to help me wake up enough to get dressed and go down for breakfast and REAL coffee

Lafayette, Louisiana
Level Contributor
406 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Travel Coffeemaker recommendation

Lol, Preglad :) your friends definitely got one over on you! I agree a good cup of coffee is necessary and preferably the very first thing I must have when I wake up.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,450 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Travel Coffeemaker recommendation

preglad. DONT bring a heating coil! I mentioned this before. most properties specifically ban them due to damage caused and fire risk.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Travel Coffeemaker recommendation

I'll be in Doolin/Clifden/Cong in 3 weeks. Some of us get up really early and the B&Bs don't offer coffee until 8 am or later, and because these are small towns, no coffee shop may be open at 5:30 am (like Starbucks). I'm thinking about buying a coffee maker in some 2d hand shop in Ennis, even though the B&Bs may offer "instant" coffee in my room (gag).

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
742 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Travel Coffeemaker recommendation

Whoa and woe on me, Nakagoli. Thanks for the helpful and corrective tip. Now I'm wondering if the same might be true of owner reaction in a similar danger cum prohibition related to bringing one's own coffeemaker as well. Any thoughts?

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,450 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Travel Coffeemaker recommendation

to that I have no idea. but assuming it is a standard unit with 220-240v I could see no problem, the problem with the coils is twofold. first there is a serious danger of personal injury from scalding water or hot element. the second is that when a person takes the element out of a mug, they place the unit on a table or cloth, causing scorch marks or even fires.

personally, even though I dislike tea and drink coffee most of the time, I would not even think of bringing a coffee machine with me! when in rome..........and all that!

just a thought, when people are talking about coffee machines, are they talking about nespresso type, or proper percolators??

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,475 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Travel Coffeemaker recommendation

Coffee machines in the US style aren't really commonplace in homes here - much more likely to find Espresso Type coffee makers, some that use pods as mentioned above. There is a much better selection of instant coffee than I could find in the US - even Starbucks do an instant coffee widely available in main supermarkets. Look out for brands like Alta Rica, Carte Noir, Kenco Really Rich, Nescafé Azera and Kenco Millicano that make a good attempt at recreating a real coffee! Failing that bring a Cafetiere or pick one up here in the supermarket and use a good brand like my favourite Lavazza to get your morning caffeine fix ;-)

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,745 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Travel Coffeemaker recommendation

nakagoli i'm with you, I am not going to take a coffee machine of any type...I don't think I've been in more than a couple of b&bs that didn't have tea and coffee makings either in my room, or in the sitting room....if they didn't it must not have been a make or break part of my day or i'd surely remember it.....

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
12,082 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Travel Coffeemaker recommendation

Dubfam - come on! - don't forget home grown Bewley's!

Jim Thorpe...
Level Contributor
9 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Travel Coffeemaker recommendation

I'm a real stickler about my coffee. I always have Dark Magic k-cups. I'll be missing them big time when I go next year!