We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Additional Car Insurance for driving in Northern Ireland?

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
25 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Additional Car Insurance for driving in Northern Ireland?

I have a confirmed reservation with Hertz (pickup / dropoff in Dublin) for this September. I called Hertz today to confirm the reservation and to ask if there were any restrictions with driving into Northern Ireland. The reply was no restrictions but I was told that I am also required to purchase additional insurance from AA before I travel into Northern Ireland. I was very surprised as I haven't seen or read anything on TA or elsewhere about this requirement. The Hertz rep I spoke to was US-based and tried to explain the coverage to me but basically could only say that it was required. She stated that I would need to drive to an AA office after I pickup the rental car at DUB to purchase the insurance prior to arriving in Northern Ireland - which she stated is what her supervisor had told her. She gave me the number of the Hertz rental counter in Dublin to call to have them explain it to me. I have not yet called them. She also directed me to the website www.aaireland.ie for more information.

I found the following statements in a deeply buried sub-folder in a Terms & Conditions link from my rental confirmation page on the HERTZ website:

Hertz vehicles may be driven into Northern Ireland with no restrictions.

Hertz vehicles may be driven into the U.K. but not into other countries.

If driving into the U.K., you must purchase an AA 5-star cover at any AA office prior to the departure to the U.K. and inform the Hertz counter upon your arrival.

Please refer to "Congestion Charging" in the United Kingdom Rental Qualifications & Requirements if you intend to drive or to drop the vehicle off in Central London.

Should these restrictions be ignored all insurance (Third Party Liability, CDW, TP, PAI, Super Cover), if accepted, shall be deemed, null and void. The driver will be held fully responsible in case of accidents and will bear all consequences, including the cost of repatriation of the damaged vehicle.

I'm really confused. Can someone help me understand this better? Has anyone encountered a similar requirement to have an additional "AA 5-star coverage" when driving a car rented in Dublin into Northern Ireland?

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,513 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Additional Car Insurance for driving in Northern Ireland?

It's a very good question. I guess the wily Rental companies will have slapped on some additional charge just because you will be driving in Northern Ireland which in effect is another country on the same island.

You do need to get this sorted before you travel so you know what to expect. You cold easily just decide to drive in NI and not inform the rental company but you run the risk of the consequences of what happens if you are involved in an accident in NI.

I did find this on the hertz.ie website "Hertz Vehicles can be driven into Northern Ireland free of charge; however a drop off fee will apply to vehicles returned to a Hertz location in Northern Ireland"

However, I would email and ask them about extra insurance for NI, here is a link to their contact page

https:/…

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,505 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Additional Car Insurance for driving in Northern Ireland?

"If driving into the U.K., you must purchase an AA 5-star cover at any AA office prior to the departure to the U.K. and inform the Hertz counter upon your arrival." as your own post stated........

that says it all....you would be driving the car out of the republic of Ireland into the u.k......therefore you would have to purchase the insurance and inform hertz at the counter of your intentions......

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
3,903 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Additional Car Insurance for driving in Northern Ireland?

I have driven a car rented from Enterprise over the border many times. I have informed them of my plans and have never been charged extra. Check with Hertz.

KC, MO
Level Contributor
194 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Additional Car Insurance for driving in Northern Ireland?

I just checked with Dan Dooley. No extra insurance. I have SCDW if that makes a difference.

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
282 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Additional Car Insurance for driving in Northern Ireland?

And I just checked with Avis. Both the website and my (excellent) contact person Mandy there.

No extra fee.

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
282 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Additional Car Insurance for driving in Northern Ireland?

I should have been clearer: RE; Avis, no extra fee and no extra insurance required.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,989 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Additional Car Insurance for driving in Northern Ireland?

Nothing with Budget either, per my recent experience.

A few years back some of the companies used to charge a fee if the car was taken in the North. At the time they claimed it was due to the need to have road assistance coverage under a different company than the one used in the Republic. Not sure if that was true or not, but in any event, I haven't seen the charge in years now.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Additional Car Insurance for driving in Northern Ireland?

For the OP, I'll bet €10 that the text is simply sloppily worded, mixing up the UK and Britain.

I'd point this out to Hertz and suggest they change it forthwith.

It has been noted here before that Hertz (and Avis) do not impose extra charges in NI.

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
25 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Additional Car Insurance for driving in Northern Ireland?

Thank you all for the comments. After submitting this post I requested a quote from Dan Dooley (with the SCDW) and also asked if there was a requirement for any additional insurance to drive in the UK. There is not with Dan Dooley. I also checked with Avis and Budget, no additional UK-specific insurance required. I suspect you're right that it could be a poorly worded statement on the Hertz website and that the Hertz rep simply wasn't informed properly. I'm a longtime Hertz Gold Plus member so I'll call Hertz once again to have them clarify this matter.

If there's no resolution with Hertz, I'm inclined to proceed with Dan Dooley - about $100 more for the 27 days which is not a big deal.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Additional Car Insurance for driving in Northern Ireland?

If you asked about additional insurance is needed for the UK, than you risk gettting the kind of confusion you experienced. You should have asked simply what additional charges exist for visiting Northern Ireland, unless you intend to also visit Britain. Since the costs for visiting NI and Britain are almost certainly different, it makes no sense to ask about the UK.