We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What NOT to pack (as vastly overrated) leaving room for ?

New York
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
836 reviews
Save Topic
What NOT to pack (as vastly overrated) leaving room for ?

It seems whenever travelers return from a trip, we invariably brought along items which were never utilized or needed. Each time in the unpacking, we ponder something along the lines of, "Now whatever possessed me to bring that and/or this?". I was wondering what others might advise leaving at home that generally falls into this category.

AND

As a flipside alternative, what silly little something that is almost completely superficial as to primary necessity but somehow "comforting or engaging" do you in finding that bit more room instead take?

Bluff Dale, Texas
Level Contributor
167 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What NOT to pack (as vastly overrated) leaving room for ?

Well I am certainly not an expert , but I have read on here to be sure an bring a small flashlight and small

binoculars. That is two things I would not have thought of. Also, a couple of washrags, and Walmart plastic bags

for dirty clothes. I personally am going to also bring a small collasible Ice chest when I travel to Ireland next year.

Or pick one up there. I think I will also bring one of those stain sticks, in case I get something on my clothes.

Just a few odd items. As to what to leave behind, I don't know. I am an overpacker. I like being prepared.

Canada
Level Contributor
142 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What NOT to pack (as vastly overrated) leaving room for ?

Ditto, Pen201.

I hardly qualify as an expert as well, as we haven't embarked on our trip yet. But Preglad's post stirred up some crazy moves from the past in a very different destination.

After our last trip to a hot destination beach wedding resort, I made some idiotic choices and I ended up buying reasonably priced attire suitable for that climate while there and never wore anything I packed except for Day1 on arrival. It was noted on that particular TA forum (not this one) that Downy 'De-Wrinkler" Spray is amazing and the best thing ever to pack to these types of destinations. I had a special freshly laundered dress vacuum packed to wear, so this was great. With the Downy product, it would be refreshed in a musty climate and would be wrinkle free.

Compression on the plane and a spray bottle of a de-wrinkle solution (in a Ziploc bag) do not make for good companions....A big 'Duh' on our part. We had a laugh over that one, especially as the Zip-Loc baggie must not have quite reached it's final click upon sealing. The clothes I did pack were indeed Downy Fabric Softener fresh and our closets and luggage smelled April Fresh...I found a very nice dress there and never ended up wearing the one I brought, as it was too hot anyway. Had I worn the dress I brought, the Ocean air and outside balcony hanging racks would have sufficed to 'de-wrinkle'. And no need for the plastic clothespins and rope. As a sidenote, our friends De-Wrinkler solution made it just fine on the same flight.

This time on a totally different vacation, we're packing light with only carry-ons (like TA's rpmason) and a backpack each.

Umbrella is a no go for us. Hooded water-resistant jackets will hopefully suffice and if so, we shall purchase an umbrella there.

Mini-flashlight is on the list.

Facecloths (x2) on the list

A whopping 3 oz. lot of shampoo/conditioner (carry-on). We love buying different products for the duration when we get there..

Zip-Loc Bags (Quart size) and a Tote bag for shopping

Pen201, an accountant-type married couple we know recently went to Ireland on a 10 day trip. As I was calling to see how their trip went after they returned, she lamented overpacking a little and while on the phone, she exclaimed "Oh! Our clothes just arrived in the mail from the mailman!"

"So nice! Is that clothing you bought in Ireland on your trip to have shipped home?", I asked.

She replied "No, on our last day we bought a nice, sturdy cardboard box and some packing tape and shipped our previously worn clothing home so we had room for new clothes and gifts!

Edited: 30 August 2013, 17:06
KC, MO
Level Contributor
194 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What NOT to pack (as vastly overrated) leaving room for ?

We are doing 2 checked bags and 2 small carry ons due the several-hour layovers in Chicago.

We are packing 6 days of clothing with laundry washed every 5th day. For dirty clothes, packing a cloth laundry bag and will come home with clean clothes.

No brolly but 1 hooded rain jacket and fleece vest each. Packing the walking shoes and will wear regular shoes on the plane. 1 mini flashlight each in our day packs. Always take de-wrinkled even on overnight trips.

Have a Duracell USB charger just in case. Our packing cubes are plastic sheet and pillowcase sales packaging and such.

Sleep mask, ear buds, and Benedryl for the plane. I seldom am able to sleep on planes.

Maryland
Level Contributor
4,031 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What NOT to pack (as vastly overrated) leaving room for ?

I love this topic- yes, I am an overpacker as well. When I get to my destination I ALWAYS end up wearing the same 2-3 outfits over and over. Nobody has ever said " gee, didn't I see you in that yesterday?" As if anyone ever noticed. I tend to pack really nice clothes, " smart & posh " but opt to wear jeans and comfort garments instead. Umbrella is a waste of space. Fancy shoes as well. Now, I deliberately leave luggage room to buy some things at my destination if I need something and these items make great souvenirs. When I get complimented on a blouse or necklace I love to say "Oh, I picked it up in Ireland, Scotland, Amsterdam or wherever. Now, shopping for an outfit at my destination turns into something to do. And unless I am traveling to a remote 3rd world country, no matter what I need, they sell it there. I am SO over dragging my entire closet just in case I need it. I have to remind myself, " keep it simple stupid " . LOL

Safe Journeys!

Sunny

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Canada
Level Contributor
142 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What NOT to pack (as vastly overrated) leaving room for ?

@ Sunny. Great post. The KISS Principle is dead on. Underpack somewhat and what we forget we can purchase there.

@rpmason - thanks for reminding me of Benadryl (or Gravol) for the plane) and the ear buds for the ever-snorer beside me...he's no stranger. Your very organized packing list inspires me as we are both doing carry on and no checked luggage and you also leave a couple of days before we do.

@everyone - don't forget spare camera batteries and a good supply of memory cards. I came upon what I thought was a good tip in that (for example) if you were wanting to take a 32GB memory card, it can sometimes be wiser to buy 4 or so 8 GB cards instead, in case one fails or it is misplaced or lost.

Edited: 30 August 2013, 18:41
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,667 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What NOT to pack (as vastly overrated) leaving room for ?

A 32GB memory card holds several thousand photos, you shouldn't need any more!

Bluff Dale, Texas
Level Contributor
167 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What NOT to pack (as vastly overrated) leaving room for ?

Great ideas, I like the Benadryl, ear buds reminder. However it is my husband who will need them, I am the snorer in the family. And Hopefully I will learn to leave some stuff at home, when I travel to Ireland. If not , I guess I can mail back some clothes also. LOL

Travedia, I did not know they even sold De-wrinkler, but I love your story. Sounds like something that would happen to me.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,526 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What NOT to pack (as vastly overrated) leaving room for ?

I bring all my camera gear in its own bag and a dvd of Shirley Valentine for her when she moans that their is nothing on that French Television at 1am.

New York
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
836 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What NOT to pack (as vastly overrated) leaving room for ?

WOW, Some great stuff thus far:

Exploding De Wrinker, strategic ear buds from fess up ladies, late night films appropriate for moaning wives, another even more suspicious type who curiously "visits" third world countries in search of "whatever" to bring back for unspecified special recipients, and finally:

We've got someone who sends her to be laundered home. However that's where the similarity ends as relates to "another many of you know a bit who shall go unnamed". That party while wearing a younger man's clothes, posted his overseas multiple times, fully earmarked to be washed by a second party. The incredibly indulging and kindly lady in waiting, at least in time, received a surprise Venetian Murano glass vase as a "Thank you, Mom".

Florida
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What NOT to pack (as vastly overrated) leaving room for ?

I just went to Yellowstone and forgot my camera. It was actually nice. I used my phone to take a couple of pics but then the battery died. I saw the whole park through my eyes and not a camera lenses. I have a led bike light that comes on and off easy and you can wear it like a ring. Great for travel. I still stick to a couple of colors and wash things out in the sink. Apartments with washing machines are my fav now. My husband is a LD rider and he has taught me you can go with very little. I just did a trip to Italy and had no problem wheeling my small suitcase on and off trains and up five flights of steps. My friends on the other hand struggled and it was not fun.