We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day 33 of 34: Belfast to Dublin airport area

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,815 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Day 33 of 34: Belfast to Dublin airport area

Drove to Newgrange--our GPS and what we call the "brown tourist signs" seemed to be befuddling us, so we got there at 10:25, later than planned. We were signed up for the 10:45 Knowth tour and the 12:15 Newgrange tour. Visited the most important place on any tour and the gift shop while we were waiting. Both sites were amazing and both tour guides excellent--we were very glad we went to both.

Ate lunch at Brambles Café in the Newgrange VC--not as good as other Brambles, which surprised us.

On to the Battle of the Boyne. The exhibits and the videos were good, and the walled garden was lovely, but the walks didn't seem to really bring the battle to life as other battlefields we've visited have done. The weather has been beautiful, so we enjoyed walking around a little.

Went to Old Mellifont Abbey--got there at 4:00 and the sign on the VC door said they were closed-and listed their open hours as 10-5:15. Disappointing. There are only a couple of informational plaques, but the site is striking and we liked walking around and taking photos.

Drove to our hotel--the Radisson Blu at the airport. Very nice. The trainee at the desk needs more training to check with her manager if she's not sure about something before she gives out inaccurate in formation. Nothing terrible, but she told us local calls are free (they're not) and that the restaurant in the hotel hadn't changed, but was still O'Dea's. Later, when I went back to tell her that, although the website says O'Dea's, the restaurant says T3, she was a bit argumentative--until a colleague told her it was T3. DH and I giggled about her not knoeing th name of the restaurant in the hotel where she's working.

Went to Zao for dinner. Not our best evening. The directions link on their website sent us in completely the wrong direction; fortunately, it was only about a 7 minute drive and we were able to find someone to ask who knew where it was--now 15 minutes the other way. We weren't in a time crunch, so that wasn't too bad.

The menu on-line isn't the same as the one in the restaurant, which annoyed me, as I had picked the place based on reviews and the menu. It was pricy for what it offered, we thought. 6.90 Euro for a bowl of vegetable soup seems high to us. The items didn't come with the ingredients listed in their menu description, which irritated me. I asked if the curry dish we were ordering could have aubergine added, as that was included in a different curry and it's my favorite veggie. The waitress said yes, of course--but didn't bother to check with the kitchen, which had no aubergine. The food itself was OK, but nothing special. No biggie--we're not hungry now,

Moosup, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day 33 of 34: Belfast to Dublin airport area

It has been interesting to read your postings. Having the day with beautiful weather is a memorable way to end your trip around Ireland. Getting "lost" in Ireland is a must, as is interesting food choices.

Safe journey back to Milwaukee

Edited: 31 August 2013, 21:29
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,815 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day 33 of 34: Belfast to Dublin airport area

We have one more day of sightseeing before we head for home--I'll be sad to leave.

Unfortunately, we are not the type of people who find anything positive in getting lost--it just aggravates the heck out of us.

Thanks for your good wishes.

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day 33 of 34: Belfast to Dublin airport area

Looking forward to the last installment!

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,759 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day 33 of 34: Belfast to Dublin airport area

Only one day left - hope its a good one :-)

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day 33 of 34: Belfast to Dublin airport area

"Interesting to read your postings" indeed.

You certainly seemed to get "annoyed", "irritated" and "aggravated" quite a lot.

I made a conscious decision not to post or acknowledge your contributions after your not-so-pleasant putdown of our esteemed HarveyIreland. However, I did read your daily musings and feel now is the time to chip in.

You may now realise that Ireland doesn't march to the beat of anyone's drum, You have to go with the flow to feel the warmth and hospitality of the Irish. I got the distinct impression that your rigidity may have thwarted your opportunity to "experience" rather than "travel" Ireland. Our cuisine didn't appear to suit you either, albeit you seemed to dine at a lot of ethnic places.

I do hope though that overall you will take some pleasant memories home with you.

Thank you for sharing your travels and safe onward journey home. :-)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,815 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day 33 of 34: Belfast to Dublin airport area

LittlePumpkin, why don't you just ignore me? You're so critical of me.

We have had a wonderful trip, and I think my posts have made that clear. Lots of interesting experiences, beautiful drives, delightful chats with people, good meals. Do I like getting inaccurate information and/or bad service? Nope, not even a little. That hasn't happened much, for which we are very grateful.

We have certainly eaten lots of Irish food--but 34 days of any single cuisine would get pretty boring. Our kids used to say that our culinary style on vacation (and it's our preference at home) was "ethnic confusion" because we like trying so many different types of food. I've had loaves of brown bread, smoked salmon, lots of local fish, seafood chowder (only once because of the calories), colcannon, rocket, baps, free range eggs. DH has had Irish stew, Guinness stew, fish & chips, pounds of chips!, lamb in various form. And we're tried many different beers and ciders.

I'm impressed with people who have the desire to nit pick someone's posts and analyze their choice of words--but, whatever floats your boat.

There are lots of different styles of travel--over 46 years together, DH and I have developed a style that seems to suit both of us and bring us pleasure--I'm always delighted that we agree on so much when we travel. That being said, I would never suggest that what works for us would be of any appeal to anyone else. I wish others wouldn't suggest that we travel in the wrong way.

Msriley & spiceloft, thanks for your kind words.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,515 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day 33 of 34: Belfast to Dublin airport area

Lets not get into an argument over trivial matters, I for one appreciate the time our visitors have taken to air their views on TA and I hope that others who might follow in their footsteps will have learned something from other peoples experiences, otherwise what is the point of this website.

Clearly people come here for all sorts of reasons and as guests to our country it is our wish that they enjoy themselves and take away fond memories so that they can look back in years to come and perhaps think about making a return visit. Thank you for choosing Ireland for your vacation and we bid you safe journey home.

Slan

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,815 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day 33 of 34: Belfast to Dublin airport area

Thanks, cavan007--we've loved our trip and wish it had been even longer.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Day 33 of 34: Belfast to Dublin airport area

A little over-reaction and over-exaggeration there methinks Andee, and apologies if I hit a raw nerve.

As I said, thank you for sharing your travels, and as I think you mentioned waaaay back - this would be your one and only trip to Ireland. Glad you DID have a wonderful trip in your own way and style :-)

The world would be a strange place if we were all the same.

Edited: 31 August 2013, 22:19
Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,515 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day 33 of 34: Belfast to Dublin airport area

You said it LP - the world would indeed be a strange place if we didn't have America and our friends to look after us.