We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ireland in December

United States
Level Contributor
302 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ireland in December

We are considering going to Ireland for our first time in early to mid December. We would go for 6 nights, probably 4 in Dublin and 2 in Galway. I read that the days are short and it is cloudy/rainy. Is that pretty accurate? How is December? Or would you suggest to wait and go in the Spring?

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ireland in December

In terms of daylight hours, weather etc December is the worst time of year to visit. If you can I suggest choosing a different time

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,383 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ireland in December

I would definitely choose the Spring over December if you can.

If someone is tied to winter months, I would choose December over November or January simply because in cities, there is a nice atmosphere with Christmas decorations/lights/events.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,846 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ireland in December

December can be lovely but the evenings are short. Which is not always a bad thing - think nice cosy fires in pubs and guest houses, fewer tourists......

I would agree with Ponaire and pick December over any of the other winter months, there is generally a great atmosphere in the run p to Christmas.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ireland in December

December can be nice and cosy in the pubs, and the Christmas buzz is good in the cities, but the countryside turns to mud.

United States
Level Contributor
302 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Ireland in December

Is it very rainy in December? Or is it rainy no matter what month it is?

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ireland in December

Some months it is rainy, some it is not. But the time of year has little to do with it, its just pot luck what comes next ;-) I have had sodden wet September and blistering hot March, its pure chance. Dont try to book a holiday with weather in mind.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,720 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ireland in December

go to TIMEANDDATE.COM / SUN & MOON

use the sunrise, sunset calulator choose December 2013

and Dublin, Ireland to see timings.

Edited: 05 September 2013, 15:11
United States
Level Contributor
302 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Ireland in December

Thank you. It says it rises around 8:30 and sets around 4:00 pm,so that will make a short day

Will everything be open the first and second week of December? Any other opinions on traveling in December? I want the trip to be a memorable one.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ireland in December

Will everything be open the first and second week of December?

This depends heavily on what you mean by everything. Shops and pubs will be open , plus most major tourist attractions in cities. Many B and Bs out in the sticks close down for the Winter, also tourist sites in the countryside. Give us a list of what you want to see and someone is bound to know the answer.

Edited: 05 September 2013, 16:44
Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Ireland in December

My advice would be to go in Spring and to spend 4 days in Galway and 2 in Dublin. The weather can be very depressing here in December and probably the thoughts of Christmas, family reunions, work holidays etc distracts people in a positive way. A few years ago we had very bad snow here in December. Ireland is not equipped for snow and the country closes down if we get a heavy fall.