We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car travel from Dublin to Ulster

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Car travel from Dublin to Ulster

Hello everyone,

My wife and I are planning a trip to Ulster for sometime at the end of September/beginning October of this year. We'll be arriving in Dublin and would have about 12 days. The plan is to start in Belfast and drive the Causway Coastal Route, stopping for the sites, to Londonderry and from there, make our way down to some sites in Donegal, possibly up the Inishowen penninsula, and then down through the Lough Erne and Enniskillen area. I was wondering what the best strategy would be for a car rental. For instance, would it be a good idea to just get the car at Dublin airport and keep it roundtrip to return it at Dublin airport? Versus something like taking a train to Belfast, hiring the car there, and returning it elsewhere and taking a train back to Dublin airport... We'd be arriving and leaving from Dublin airport. Thanks!

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,365 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car travel from Dublin to Ulster

Good question - sounds like you've done a bit of research.

If you are heading north straight from the airport (or via any sites such as Newgrante/Bru na Boinne), then yes it makes absolute sense to hire at the airport and return there. Plus it would save you having to go back to Belfast for a car drop off after Enniskillen/Fermanagh lakelands area.

If, however, you want to spend some time in Dublin city first, that's when it requires a bit of thought as you won't want your car in the city so that's when the train option to Belfast makes a lot of sense as you don't need the car for Dublin city or Belfast city so can save on car hire and allow time to recover from jetlag etc.

My reading of your post though suggests that you plan to head straight north and do a circuit of NI and Donegal returning to Dublin via Enniskillen in which case I think car hire from Dublin airport is the way to go.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car travel from Dublin to Ulster

If you arrive and leave from Dublin airport it makes sense to hire the car from there, the only problem arises when someone want to hire in one country and leave it in another.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car travel from Dublin to Ulster

Hi ponaire,

Thanks for the quick response! Yes, we plan on heading north straight from the airport without spending any time in Dublin. I understand it's approximately a 2hr drive from Dublin to Belfast. However, we will most likely spend our first day in the Rostrever Forest region if we get the car so, in that case, we wouldn't be heading straight all the way to Belfast from Dublin. Though the suggestion of staying in Dublin for the first day to shake off the jetlag is a good one and we may consider that! Even in that case, wouldn't it still be easier to just get the car upon arrival at the airport? Yes, we could save a day on the rental, but it may not be worth the hassle of having to find transportation then again to the airport to rent the car on the second day.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car travel from Dublin to Ulster

Thanks fuchsiagirlEngland. Picking up and dropping off in Dublin would be ideal. I was concerned at first that there would be issues with bringing the car across the border, but I read up on it a little and it sounds as though it's not a big deal.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car travel from Dublin to Ulster

You wont even feel a bump in the road!!

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,455 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car travel from Dublin to Ulster

If I were you I would hire the car from Dublin airport when you plan to head north, most people advise not to drive in Dublin city due to congestion and parking restrictions.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,365 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car travel from Dublin to Ulster

If you decide you want to shake off the jetlag but still hire on day one, one option would be to spend your first day/ ight in Malahide. This is a coastal town with famous castle but it isi very close to Dublin airport (and well signed). From Malahide you could either just chill by the coast or take the DART (dublin area rapid transport) into Dublin without having to drive.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,465 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car travel from Dublin to Ulster

bringing a car to north is no problem, but there has been some debate as to whether or not a visa for r of I is technically valid for the north. there are no checks of any sort, but it might be worth your while to check. touch wood you wont have an accident in the north, but your insurance could be invalidated if it is shown you have no visa for there.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car travel from Dublin to Ulster

"but there has been some debate as to whether or not a visa for r of I is technically valid for the north"

There is no debate on this point, it is not valid.

However, if the OP is a US citizen this is irrelevant as no visa is needed.

Edited: 05 September 2013, 15:19
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,465 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car travel from Dublin to Ulster

sorry, but there has been debate on this. I did not believe it at first, but a usa citizen requires a visa for uk, and n.ireland IS classed as part of uk. yes, a chance can be taken and 99.99% of time, there will be no problem. all I am advising is for the op to CHECK. nothing wrong in being sure, is there?