We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Auto Rental From Dublin Airport

Huntley, IL
Level Contributor
40 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Auto Rental From Dublin Airport

Wow! Just finished Speaking with a Budget agent and doing some checking online. Over $1850 for a 12 day 13 night self drive trip in mid Sept. 2014? Not really complaining, as we would prefer to do a leisurely trip rather than being herded on and off a tour bus. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

$442 for a Toyota Corolla automatic unlimited mileage, $692 for theft protection, personal ins. & loss damage, $265 for the GPS, $340 for the SCDW (can that be right?) and fees of $114. This doesn't even include coverage for broken glass or tires. All you experts out there, does this sound about right? Thanking everyone in advance.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,317 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Auto Rental From Dublin Airport

Yes, sounds about right, on our last trip to Ireland in Sept/Oct 2011 our total car cost from Budget was $1,666.05 (USD) and covered 14 days Full Size Automatic 4 Door - e.g. Ford Mondeo (auto) or similar, unlimited miles, 1 additional driver (9.5 per day + 13.5% VAT), Super CDW level 7 car (16.50 per day+ 13.5% VAT), €28 Dublin airport fee and 13.5% VAT (pick up at DUB and drop off in Galway Eyre Square)

We did not rent a GPS and not sure if you have included your airport fees and VAT. You will likely get a better price booking through the www.budget.ie website but be sure you read the terms and conditions closely as that is where you will find the information on all of the other fees such as SCDW, additional driver, etc.

Edited: 10 September 2013, 19:03
Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
12,032 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Auto Rental From Dublin Airport

You can buy a GPS for an awfull lot less than USD265, so drop that and either buy one in Ireland or get the map for your home unit.

USD1850 for 2 weeks? I paid EUR150 inclusive everything for a week in July with Hertz booking through Ryanair, but that was without super cover (which would have near doubled the cost) and not an automatic, but I got a brand new Mondeo diesel and with #1 gold card picked up and dropped off in the terminal and not on the off site lot.

Check prices with Hertz through http://www.easytourireland.com/ or http://dan-dooley.ie/ - both of whom will give you quotes inclusive of supercover.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,317 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Auto Rental From Dublin Airport

dyoll, unfortunately there is a HUGE difference between the price of renting a standard and an automatic. I could have saved over half of the price had I gotten a standard but I do not drive one here and I certainly would not attempt on the other side of the road! So one must look at apples to apples in this situation.

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,633 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Auto Rental From Dublin Airport

I'm a little confused about the two different types of insurance that you list:

$692 for theft protection, personal ins. & loss damage

and

$340 for the SCDW (can that be right?)

I was unaware of the first type of insurance and it might be wise to get a quote from Hertz and Dooley.

Just as an FYI, and I know this is only semi relevant as my car is a manual transmission and I don't need a GPS, I'm getting a Nissan Qashqai with all coverage including glass and tyre with a €100 deductible for 30 days for somewhat less that you're being quoted.

out of curiosity, I went to Dooley's website and plugged in your dates and requirements and the total came pretty close to Budget's quote without the GPS.

Edited: 10 September 2013, 21:30
Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,317 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Auto Rental From Dublin Airport

Paul, I think the theft protection, personal ins. & loss damage is also known as CDW (Collision Damage Waiver) that is included in all quotes (at least with Budget Ireland it is) and the SCDW is the excess waiver. If you go the following website and scroll to the bottom and click on Terms and Conditions (on right side) it is detailed: http://www.budget.ie/.

Edited: 10 September 2013, 22:03
Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,633 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Auto Rental From Dublin Airport

Thanks for the clarification, Akandal. I'd just not seen it broken out. In fact, I thought CDW mandatory but it appears that it's optional with Budget but with a second rather large hold put on your credit card if you decline coverage. It's a bit confusing because at first they say that it's included in the quote but then they tell you what happens if you decline it.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,317 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Auto Rental From Dublin Airport

I agree that it is confusing Paul! When I do recommend Budget Ireland (which I do as we have used them twice so far and will continue to do so on future visits), I do try to make sure that I say that the Terms and Conditions must be read so one knows ALL extra charges because there are quite a few there and I don't want people to come back saying they were surprised with some charges when they are right there in black and white (must be my contract administrator coming out in me!). :-)

Dallas, Georgia
Level Contributor
203 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Auto Rental From Dublin Airport

Try going via your airline web site. I get US Gov't rate & at times Delta beats it

9. Re: Auto Rental From Dublin Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 September 2013, 12:35
Huntley, IL
Level Contributor
40 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Auto Rental From Dublin Airport

I was not sure that the theft protection, personal ins. and loss damage was the CDW, so I appreciate the information. Thanks.