We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Side Trip from Dublin?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
5 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Best Side Trip from Dublin?

We are from Indianapolis and going to be in Ireland in April 2014. We want to do at least one day-trip outside of our home-base of Dublin, either by train or renting a car and exploring ourselves. I've done a lot of reading and there's so many interesting places to see. Both of us are interested in the Cliffs of Moher, the Cork/Midleton/Waterford area, and potentially Northern Ireland but we only want to do a morning-to-evening trip (no overnights outside of Dublin). Any recommendations on what's the most fun & fulfilling for a 30 year old couple? All ideas welcome! :)

Tonbridge, United...
Level Contributor
833 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Side Trip from Dublin?

I think you seriously need to look at driving times on Google maps for places that interest you. The ones you mention are practical only if stop overnight.

You could do Powerscourt and the Wicklow Mountains for example in the timespan you mention, but it's a long drive to the cliffs of Moher and you would have to come back before you had seen the area properly.

Fredericksburg, Va
Destination Expert
for Fredericksburg
Level Contributor
834 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Side Trip from Dublin?

Hello. Consider either a coach tour to the megalithic site of Newgrange or take the bus to Trim to explore the wonderful Trim castle. There are tours from Dublin for the Wicklow mountains, which are beautiful, but I don't have any info on them. I don't know how long it is from Dublin to Killkenny, but I know you can get there and back on public transportation. Kilkenny is a great city to explore with the nice castle and very nice city walking tour. Google these places and see which one tickles your fancy. Hope this helps, and enjoy.

Edited: 10 September 2013, 22:07
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Side Trip from Dublin?

Take a day trip by train to Wexford. Very scenic railway and you can spend a few hours exploring Wexford Town.http://www.wexford.ie/wex/Departments/CommunityEnterprise/SportsActiveWexford/Walks/HeritageWalks/Thefile,15197,en.pdf

Belfast is a 2 hour train ride and the city has lots to offer including the Titanic Center www.titanicbelfast.com

Cork is 2h40m by train and trains leave every hour. tripadvisor.ie/Attractions-g186600-Activitie…

Glendalough is a bit out of the way but possible by public transport, but for the best, hire a car. Apart from the walks/scenery wicklowmountainsnationalpark.ie/documents/Wa… there's the visitor center and monastic site.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,156 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Side Trip from Dublin?

Forget about going to the Cliffs of Moher. First of all, it's a long drive (at least 3 hours), so you'd spend more time in the car than sightseeing. Also, it's entirely possible that you could get to the Cliffs and they would be socked-in by fog or rain--not an uncommon occurrence in April.

If you want to rent a car, go to either 1) Glendalough NP and Wicklow or 2) Newgrange and Trim. If you want to travel by public transportation, take the train or bus to Belfast. I've done all three of these options and they are all good day trips.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
5 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Side Trip from Dublin?

Thank you for the suggestions everyone!

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
6,154 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Side Trip from Dublin?

We will be staying in Dublin next month and are pretty much set on doing a daytrip to Kilkenny. The plan is to take morning train from Heuston Station with late afternoon/early evening return. As I recall from reading the train schedule, travel time is approximately 1.5 hours each way. We also plan on doing a half day in Malahide. Very easy to get there independently via train (DART, I think)

I have previously made a Wicklow daytrip via tour. If you do that chose the Wildwicklow tour via van rather than big coach bus.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Side Trip from Dublin?

1.5hrs is about right for Kilkenny. The DART and Drogheda Commuter trains serve Malahide. It takes about 25minutes for the all-stops DART and a little less on the Commuter trains [less stops]

8. Re: Best Side Trip from Dublin?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2014, 06:19