We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best internet service provider....

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Topic
Best internet service provider....

Hi just wondering which internet service provider gives the best coverage for all of Ireland?

We are wanting to buy service for an ipad for the 4 weeks we'll be touring Ireland.

Thanks in advance :)

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,649 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best internet service provider....

Linda, you can find free wifi in many locations. If you have a 3g enabled Ipad you'll need to replace the sim card with one from Irish telecom companies and then but a data bundle. The most prevalent network appears to be Hutchsion which is 3 O2 or Tesco. data plans vary in cost. I'm probably going to wind up using Tesco which is €6.99 for 1 gb of data.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best internet service provider....

Three.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,510 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best internet service provider....

This one works for me.

www.vodafone.ie/

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best internet service provider....

Thanks. So would we get good coverage over all of ireland, including northern ireland?

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
12,688 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best internet service provider....

My experience is that the coverage in Ireland is patchy. In country areas you may have only one of the providers with anything like a reasonable signal strength. If you are staying in one place for any length of time then it might be worth enquiring from the owners which is the best provider in that area. In cities of course you should get good coverage by all the providers. Tesco was pretty useless in the areas I was staying on Dingle peninsula. Make sure of course that your iPad is not locked to a home provider.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,720 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best internet service provider....

for free WIFI access

visit a chain of coffee shops called "Costa Coffee"

also you can try a local library.

use Goldenpages.ie / to locate.

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,649 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best internet service provider....

Dyoll, I'm not sure where the OP is based but no Ipads sold in the US are sim locked. They are only locked to either Verizon or ATT since they use different systems. They both still work on overseas networks but at 3G. That's a hardware issue and not a sim issue. I've heard that Ipads in Japan are sim-locked but I don't know if this is true.

In any case, the OP could pick up a data sim from 3 or O2 or Tesco and be good to go. The only issue becomes the need to have some method of activating the data sim. Uusally you'd do this in a smartphone which the Ipad isn't. I put it in my Iphone, activate it or top it up, and then stick it back in the Ipad.

Tonbridge, United...
Level Contributor
832 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best internet service provider....

As has already been mentioned, outside the cities we found pretty poor 3G coverage... in fact the phone signal wasn't that great in the rural parts. We used wifi for the entire trip which was available in just about every town.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best internet service provider....

Three have some tariffs that do not gouge you in NI, for the others you'll need to get another SIM to get a decent cost. However, Three service in NI is especially patchy out of town and in Tyrone and Fermanagh.

In the Republic, Three have reasonable service in some of the more remote locations, as they won a government contract to provide service in out of the way places.

Aim to use wi-fi where you bed down and you'll get good signal travelling around much, but not all of the time.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
18,053 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best internet service provider....

unless you are trying to use your I pad in the remotest of areas, you should have little trouble. nearly every town and village now has cover. presumably you would be staying in hotels or guest houses, probably booked on the internet, so if they use the internet to advertise, then they have coverage. 3 and o2 (now owned by 3) would be your main bet.